0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Hi Saflyfish,I would think your best best in that price range would be a good second hand Shimano Spheros. New they retail around R2,500 so maybe you could find one on special for close to R2k? The Spheros is the cheapest saltwater approved Shimano reel. Don't have too much experience on the other brands so can't comment on other manufactures. I currently use a Shimano Stradic which isn't sealed so every time it gets wet I take it apart and service it which becomes a real headache...
Cheapish and durable, go and get the AK47 of the fishing reels.Diawa BG60It's no Stella, but it wont hurt the bank and is strong enough to pull a boy scout off his girlfriend
I have the old white stradic.Wasnt aware the new one is sealed.
Quote from: saflyfish on December 17, 2015, 02:14:09 PMI have the old white stradic.Wasnt aware the new one is sealed.Nothing wrong with that reel... why do you want to change it? The Stradic 5000 is the goto reel for light tackle spinning.
Quote from: DavePE on December 17, 2015, 12:27:25 PMHi Saflyfish,I would think your best best in that price range would be a good second hand Shimano Spheros. New they retail around R2,500 so maybe you could find one on special for close to R2k? The Spheros is the cheapest saltwater approved Shimano reel. Don't have too much experience on the other brands so can't comment on other manufactures. I currently use a Shimano Stradic which isn't sealed so every time it gets wet I take it apart and service it which becomes a real headache... The new Stradic are sealed and perfect, think they close to 3 k though.
Guys keep in mind that the only spinning reels that are truly sealed and waterproof are the Zeebass and Vanstaal range of reels which are designed for skishing and wading. Everything Shimano, Dawia, Penn etc makes will fail if submerged repeatedly and for long periods of time. That said any decent quality spinner will be fine for shore based fishing and will quite happily stand up to getting the odd splash or even being submerged briefly provided you look after it and monitor areas that are known to collect salt such as the rear body bumper on Shimano's.