Author Topic: Congo on the fly...  (Read 8489 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Congo on the fly...
« on: September 20, 2015, 05:32:58 PM »
Well I have been in the DRC for 8 years and have failed to have many fishing trips worth mentioning but you gotta keep trying so I arranged to try out the croc ponds at Mutanda as I had heard of some nice tilapia there... only 2 problems...My flies all went awol and of course - crocs!
 
The location... and there they were the crocs... I got there early as the crocs are less active and less aggressive when it is cool early in the morning...
 
The pond (jip that a croc) and more crocs... I managed to get close and with my 400mm canon lens got some great pics...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 06:45:07 PM by Seventenths »

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 05:35:40 PM »
Second problem no flies so I managed to get hold of some small ( no .8) hooks and raided my daughters arts and crafts box and made a make shift fly with a coloured pipe cleaner.
 
Pipe cleaners and home made fly... and baby crocs... All three pics with 100mm  2.8L/Macro IS II canon lens
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 06:46:19 PM by Seventenths »

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 05:59:10 PM »
I rigged up my 8" 5 wt stealth and my Shilton SL5 with intermediate sinking line and moved down to the pond keeping a weary eye on the crocs on all sides... I started with a fast retrieve with a erratic action.. after twenty min of this and trying to keep away from the edge. Nothing/nada. Roelof my mate who was on a bottom rig hooked into a nice fish with Biltong as a bait... I decided to switch to a wait to sink then slow retrieve... 5-6 casts and after hooking into a few leaves and debris on the bottom I was starting to lose faith. Then I hooked the bottom.. or so I thought till it started to swim away. When it felt the pressure then game on. A few mins later and a VERY quick extraction and I had my prise and moved away from the water with a very indignant tilapia who was dragged away from the danger zone for a quick photo and even quicker release... 36cm and he swam away strong despite the fast release... I was watched closely from both sides...
 
Fish and spectator...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 06:39:11 PM by Seventenths »

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 06:10:35 PM »
Back to my slow retrieve and shortly after that and a couple of drops.. again I was on.. after plenty of worrying splashing and thrashing I had my second which was also indignantly removed from the waters edge (that's why he is full of grit in the pic - normally I would wash off my fish and treat him to a post catch bath - not today) to a safe distance for quick pics and long distance release... I was now still eager till and 8" flat dog snuck up on me, jip that is the tip of my rod and my fly near his nose... I needed no more convincing... I hour. 2 nice fish and still alive and ahead.. I quit for the day.
 
My second fish 34cm and sneaky... taking a look at my rod tip...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 07:01:23 PM by Seventenths »

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 06:20:09 PM »
So no monsters but I am thrilled my very dodgy home made "fly" caught fish and secondly I  still have my limbs in tact. To boot I got some awesome croc pics and had an awesome day - Thanks Roelof and friends...

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 06:41:22 PM »
 :blush: oops.. see I posted 2 pics of the same fish... will have to go back to the cameras and post of the second fish...duh...

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 06:44:02 PM »
That's fishing on the edge for you :hehe:

well done Tony... braving the flat dogs, making a plan on the fly and still catching wow (clap)
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 06:54:34 PM »
Should anyone be in doubt as to why you need polarized glasses.. here is the pic of Sneaky without the polarized filter on... I have reposted the polarized so you can compare them next to eachother....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 07:02:10 PM by Seventenths »

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 07:22:52 PM »
Crickey mate.

 :krpr:
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 07:27:24 PM »
 (clap) Awesome report and photos. It must be an adrenalin rush fishing those waters!

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 07:37:53 PM »
 (clap) nice Tony , where there's a will there's a way , flat dogs and all , that polarized pic with the croc in the water .. amazing .

Offline mongie

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town Western Cape
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 08:47:09 PM »
Very interesting story

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 10:51:46 PM »
Just some idea of the performance of the 100mm 2.8L USM IS II lens on a D5
 
1st image full frame (reduced)
2nd image 100% zoomed in (reduced)
3rd image zoomed it till just before pixelating (that would make a 80in(1950mm) X 53,3in (1300mm) full size Image - 24mp image.
 
and still very sharp - you gotta love modern tech!

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 04:17:42 AM »
Thats pretty cool we may need a new emoticon for the flat dogs! There are saltwater crocs here in Sri Lanka they are protected by law so there's no shortage of them either. I was watching a video of a 15 foot specimen cruising in the surf off Columbo the biggest city in Sri lanka the other day :cnfzd

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 07:31:25 AM »
Great stuff.  :clfoto:
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline BETTYS

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 807
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bettys Bay , WP
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 07:46:20 AM »
 :clfoto:  Tony, When you got to fish you make a plan!
I LOVE THE SMELL OF FRESH BAIT IN THE MORNING

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 08:08:52 AM »
Thats pretty cool we may need a new emoticon for the flat dogs! There are saltwater crocs here in Sri Lanka they are protected by law so there's no shortage of them either. I was watching a video of a 15 foot specimen cruising in the surf off Columbo the biggest city in Sri lanka the other day :cnfzd
\\
 
Saltis...Eish! I knew you got them in Indonesia and parts of the Phillipines but not aware they were in Sri Lanka! We saw some monsters is OZ they get massive and 15" is a beast even though they get much bigger. I am not as brave as it may appear. The rod is 8" plus the length of my arm out stretched, I was further from the guy than it looks and had my running shoes on.... Reefs/admin how about an Emo for the crocs, one day? think it is a cool idea especially for the guys in St Lucia..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:26:18 AM by Seventenths »

Offline Willie

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2033
  • Cred: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Novice
  • Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 11:56:38 AM »
Great report 7/10's.  (clap)
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 12:33:37 PM »
Great stuff .7 thanks for sharing.  :clfoto:


I'm more scared of crocs than any other beast on this planet. There is something utterly sinister about them. I guess it's all in the eyes.  :shk
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Harvard 16

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kuala Lumpur, ex KZN
Re: Congo on the fly...
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 01:30:04 PM »
Cool report Tony, definitely know what you didn't pack for that trip...waders!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal