Author Topic: Reel for Assassin Amia  (Read 3795 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ismail

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Ladysmith
Reel for Assassin Amia
« on: September 05, 2015, 11:02:38 PM »
Hi guys
Thanks for all the wonderful information on this forum.
I have ordered an assassin amia heavy spinning rod and I'm undecided of what reel to pair with. I own a daiwa exceller oceano 4500j and a daiwa laguna 4000. I will load the reel with Gosen pe1.5 braid. which of the two reels would be better suited for spinning. Fishing mainly of the beach for shad,snoek and garrick .
Thanks
Ismail

Offline Cage

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 317
  • Cred: 64
  • Gender: Male
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: Reel for Assassin Amia
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 12:32:41 AM »
Im not super familiar with Daiwa but would go with the laguna. I have owned an Oceano and i reckon its too bulky, heavy with a less than ideal gear ratio for the application youre looking at....

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Reel for Assassin Amia
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 05:45:20 AM »
Both reels are too bulky for that setup and also a little on the slow side.
Laguna has a ratio of 5.3:1
Oceano 4.9:1
Most guys are using Stradics or Sustains which have a ratio of 6.2:1
Makes spinning much easier.
The Shimano 5000 range of reels is ideally suited to the Amia, and are a lot smaller than the 4000 Daiwa's.

Offline small fry

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban KZN
Re: Reel for Assassin Amia
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 06:11:10 AM »
Ive also got an Assassin Amia 11foot with microwave guides,I paired it with a Penn Battle 4000.Has a gear ratio of 6:2:1 is braid ready and has HT 100 drag washers.Price is about R1600.Maybe that could be an alternative.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Reel for Assassin Amia
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 08:02:15 AM »
 :welc: Ismail... both reels are big and cumbersome. It will make spinning unpleasant IMO. You can't go too far wrong with a Stradic 4k (very good value), but if you want to stick to Daiwa, go for a 3k.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Visenvryheid

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 456
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Reel for Assassin Amia
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 10:42:51 AM »
:welc: Ismail... both reels are big and cumbersome. It will make spinning unpleasant IMO. You can't go too far wrong with a Stradic 4k (very good value), but if you want to stick to Daiwa, go for a 3k.

Go for the 5000 stradic or sustain (stradic more value), 6.2:1...is what you want..The battle will also do the trick, but is in a class below, if it was in a lower price bracket than what it is I'd say go for that but not so rather spend the cash and enjoy your time spent at the water with well engineered gear..

Offline ismail

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Ladysmith
Re: Reel for Assassin Amia
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 12:58:56 PM »
Thanks guys  for all the responses. I guess I will buy a new reel as well.
Which reel in the daiwa range do you guys think will be good for this application? 

Offline ismail

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Ladysmith
Re: Reel for Assassin Amia
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 12:02:06 PM »
I have decided to go with the stradic 5k.
Thanks for all the assistance.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Reel for Assassin Amia
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 12:08:01 PM »
 :corrct: good choice
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Reel for Assassin Amia
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 12:52:09 PM »
I have decided to go with the stradic 5k.
Thanks for all the assistance.
You won't be sorry. Best value reel for what you're intending to do.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal