Author Topic: Spotted Grunter on Fly  (Read 5285 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline briansflyfishing

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 105
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Not tonight baby, I gotta fly.
  • Location: Knysna - W/Cape
Spotted Grunter on Fly
« on: August 02, 2015, 08:38:30 AM »
Had a gut feeling to go target Grunter in Sedgefield yesterday, so I made the trip through in the morning. I tried my favorite spot first where I always saw grunter on the sand bank, but this time there were non.
I then took a drive to another to another spot that I knew would have fish if the tide was high and the sand banks were covered.
I waded and saw a fish tailing 50 meters away, I slowly waked in its direction and cast the fly, a floating pink prawn imitation, towards him. I was in two minds about my retrieve, should it be fast, slow, erratic, etc? I decided on a slow pull, stop, slow pull, stop retrieve. It was not long and my line stop and pulled straight and I hooked into the fish.
I landed a nice Grunter which was released.
After getting to terms of what just happened I looked for the next target and saw another one tailing and same story. This fish must have followed the fly, I lost sight of him and stopped, looking to find him. The next moment I saw the fly at the bottom on the sand and saw the fish aiming at it when my fly line started to sink below the surface, I gave a light strike and I was on. The fish gave me a good fight with consecutive runs until I guided him to the edge and released him.
Days like this is scarce and I will savor it, leaving the memory ingrained in my mind.
Not tonight baby, I gotta fly!!!

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Spotted Grunter on Fly
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 09:21:15 AM »
 (clap) Well done, Brian.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Spotted Grunter on Fly
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 09:33:22 AM »
Fantastic! Excellent skills!  (clap)

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Spotted Grunter on Fly
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 09:49:05 AM »
(clap)

Well done!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline isivuba

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1671
  • Cred: 265
  • Gender: Male
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Spotted Grunter on Fly
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 10:21:01 AM »
Wow!
any pics of the fly?

Offline briansflyfishing

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 105
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Not tonight baby, I gotta fly.
  • Location: Knysna - W/Cape
Re: Spotted Grunter on Fly
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 10:36:10 AM »
It is Pink/Sand prawn imitation - Looks very realistic in the water.



Not tonight baby, I gotta fly!!!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Spotted Grunter on Fly
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 11:06:51 AM »
Well done Brian  :envy

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Spotted Grunter on Fly
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 01:10:53 PM »
Smashing fish Brian, well done! :corrct: :corrct:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal