Author Topic: Some shad, even one on a plug  (Read 6970 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Some shad, even one on a plug
« on: July 26, 2015, 02:05:58 PM »
So I went down to Blue Lagoon on Saturday morning.  It started raining   as I got there, and there was lightning, so I retreated to the car and   waited around until the sun came up, but very nearly decided to leave.    I'm glad I stuck around.

From 6:30 to about 8:30 I caught well   over 30 shad, I stopped counting because it was basically an on every   time I thew a lure in.  I got the four I wanted to keep on a Sensation   T-Spoon in Sardine colour, then switched over to a Cuta Casting since   the single hook is easier when you want to release them.  After I got   bored catching them one for one, I changed over to a plug to see if I   could get lucky and find a garrick that was was around hunting the   shad.  After about 5 or 6 throws with the plugs I got hit, and almost   thought I had my garrick, only to find I had caught another shad. 

I left about 20 minutes later, it was getting really full and the wind was coming up a bit.

All   in all it was great fun, but I'm a bit bummed I didn't get to see the   take on the surface because a wave rolled in and blocked the view of the   plug just as the shad took it.

Here is the one I got on a plug, the first I've got on a topwater:



Here are the 4 I decided to keep, they're such a good chow!

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 02:06:24 PM by Jared2608 »

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 02:55:54 PM »
Well done! Nice catches!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 03:57:26 PM »
Thanks, always good fun getting them on spinning gear.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 04:37:32 PM »
Nice Jared. Hoe come their tails are all clipped? Did you try them as livies?

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 05:11:51 PM »
Nah the clipped tails are nothing so exciting.  My dad was with me and when we fish together I end up carrying everything, which is apparently my job.  His shad end up in my shad bag, so I clip the tails on mine to tell them apart.  The bag gets quite heavy but as I said apparently this my job....

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 05:29:41 PM »
Nah the clipped tails are nothing so exciting.  My dad was with me and when we fish together I end up carrying everything, which is apparently my job.  His shad end up in my shad bag, so I clip the tails on mine to tell them apart.  The bag gets quite heavy but as I said apparently this my job....

 :rotfl that's so cool! Dad's rule!!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 06:12:51 PM »
Nice!

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 08:27:53 PM »
Nice bud... It's awesome to be there when the fish are eating.  :+ cred: on the releases.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 10:42:34 PM »
Thanks, ya when they are wild like that you feel like you're a pro at spinning.  You can imagine a DVD and your own signature series of lures.  Then they go away and you have to target other types of fish and you realise you're never getting that DVD.... :shd: :shd:

Offline blender

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 33
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban KZN
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 11:30:15 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Jared, I'm led to believe that the Shad kept feeding all day at the lugs.

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 07:11:06 AM »
Yes, the basically fed through the day, and they fed on Sunday too despite the horrible weather.  They've been behaving like that for at least the last week, where you see people getting them at all times of the day. 

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 07:21:28 AM »
Well done! Yes the shad was thick last week hey! I got my share on spoon between Virginia and Beachwood on Friday. Pity the garrick were not hunting the shad!

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 07:43:55 AM »
Yeah no larger predators seemed to be with them.  I didn't notice any shad coming back with damage either, no bit marks or anything so they seemed to be absent completely.

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 10:29:54 AM »
Well done on the catches. I heard the shad were raped on the weekend at lugs with nothing being done to stop the slaughter, sad really. :-( plus there were a lot that were undersize. :dunno:
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline blender

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 33
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban KZN
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 01:57:37 PM »
Rather sad CLS , I believe the rape resumed today, some are even so audacious as to brag about catching 70 Shad on a chat group  swr

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 02:26:14 PM »
Rather sad CLS , I believe the rape resumed today, some are even so audacious as to brag about catching 70 Shad on a chat group  swr
I have been following some on FB, when there are no more then they can all starve to death. swr swr <: <: the authorities will do  anything as its too dangerous.
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline khaliq

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 120
  • Cred: 10
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lower North Coast, KZN
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 03:36:05 PM »
Drove past Blue Lagoon earlier today - graphite forest.


Can't wait for the shad season to end. I can start fishing again.
A fish in the water is worth more than two in the hand.

Offline shu vawda

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 110
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 05:02:39 PM »
Nice catch brother.Its a great feeling when you get them on artificial.


Now hopefully a Garrick on the next trip

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 07:22:48 PM »
Yeah I'm hoping for a garrick soon too lol

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: Some shad, even one on a plug
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 10:27:22 AM »
Heard the shad are still being slaughtered today.
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal