Author Topic: My first cow.  (Read 12883 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline JasonF

  • Fishing Addict
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 104
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing Addict
  • Location: CT
My first cow.
« on: September 24, 2010, 09:56:42 AM »
Marthin and myself decided to hit a spot around the mountain in False Bay where he lost a big flat fish after a long fight. Picked him up at around 18H30. Got to the mountain and put out our slides. Yellowtail head for me and baby frigate for Marthin. I still needed to get first blood on my reel. Everything was quiet. Next moment my rod went down and my drag started ticking away. Picked up the rod and waited. Next time it pulled my rod down I gave a couple of strikes to set my 12/0 hooks. Had a short run and I thought I lost the fish. Reeled in some more line and the fish was still on. By this time Marthin was at the waters edge and when the leader got close enough he grabbed the leader and lifted the cow onto the rock. We had no measure tape with us so we used a piece of line to measure the fish. The rest of the night was quiet other than nibbles from small fish and me having a burn off from a big fish and Marthins fish that spat his hooks. Got home at 03H00 this morning and measured my piece of line. Precaudial at 1.85 meters. Could somebody please give me the weight as I am on my mobile and cant open the Sasaa or Ori tables. Thanks

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 12:18:45 PM »
Wow thats quite a large cow, at 1.85 meters it should be around the 30kg mark!

Offline G!enn

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 211
  • Cred: 29
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: N.I
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 12:20:27 PM »
Will be nice to see the photo of your catch .. well done .  (clap)

Ps .. You have posted in the wrong section .. This is FRESH WATER  :lolo:
'In The Eyes Of A Child You Will See..... The World As It Should Be.'

Offline JasonF

  • Fishing Addict
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 104
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing Addict
  • Location: CT
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 12:31:55 PM »
Walker I can tel you one thing. Marthin should estimate the weight as he picked the fish up. I definately dont think the fish was close to 30kgs. I have a photo of the cow on my camera but there is nothing to compare it to as the fish is lying on the rocks and I was behind the camera. Glen sorry about the wrong section post. I just clicked on fishing reports obviously in the wrong section. Admin please move.

Offline G!enn

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 211
  • Cred: 29
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: N.I
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 01:00:09 PM »
Walker I can tel you one thing. Marthin should estimate the weight as he picked the fish up. I definately dont think the fish was close to 30kgs. I have a photo of the cow on my camera but there is nothing to compare it to as the fish is lying on the rocks and I was behind the camera. Glen sorry about the wrong section post. I just clicked on fishing reports obviously in the wrong section. Admin please move.

You have no need to say sorry lol .. just trying to help you out that's all bru.

Now get the photo up!!  :+
'In The Eyes Of A Child You Will See..... The World As It Should Be.'

Offline JasonF

  • Fishing Addict
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 104
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing Addict
  • Location: CT
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 02:04:52 PM »
Glenn as I said in my first post I am on my mobile. Can only load the pics on Monday.

J-Rock

  • Guest
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »
Sounds awesome. Can't wait to get down to false bay next week...  fshg

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 02:57:13 PM »
Precaudal 1.85m Cowshark is 90kg! (SASAA)  :shk

Great catch!!!

Offline G!enn

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 211
  • Cred: 29
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: N.I
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »
Glenn as I said in my first post I am on my mobile. Can only load the pics on Monday.

Temper Temper!!   :crzy

I'm just hurring the process up from your mobile ..  :resp:
'In The Eyes Of A Child You Will See..... The World As It Should Be.'

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 04:23:52 PM »
Loomis, great catch! Dit is mos hoe 'n mens 'n nuwe katrol doop.  :hehe: (clap)

Offline JasonF

  • Fishing Addict
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 104
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing Addict
  • Location: CT
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 07:34:54 PM »
Precaudal 1.85m Cowshark is 90kg! (SASAA)  :shk

Great catch!!!
Tony you get two types of cow sharks. Seven and six gill. If I am not mistaken this the seven gill is close to shore and the six gill a deeper water species that grows a lot bigger. Not sure as I am not an expert on sharks.  Just had a look at ORI and SASAA and there calculations is definately wrong according to me.

Hope this pic is clear enough.

Offline JasonF

  • Fishing Addict
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 104
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing Addict
  • Location: CT
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 08:42:36 PM »
Loomis, great catch! Dit is mos hoe 'n mens 'n nuwe katrol doop.  :hehe: (clap)

Herman hy is nie so nuut nie. Vroulief het hom laas jaar vir my gekoop. Stel dit so dit was sy 5de keer by die water en eerste sukses.  :hehe: :hehe:

Offline steve m

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 241
  • Cred: 25
  • Location: cape town
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 08:47:01 PM »
Very nice! first cow ive heard of from that spot! :win:

I was there today and had a pickup that i hardly noticed my line just went slack but i had a look at my trace at home tonight and it was frayed can only think it was a cow???

whan where you there?

Offline JasonF

  • Fishing Addict
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 104
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing Addict
  • Location: CT
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 08:54:47 PM »
Last night till this morning about 2:00

Offline JasonF

  • Fishing Addict
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 104
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing Addict
  • Location: CT
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 08:58:53 PM »
Steve we also had a lot of nibbles and lines going pap.

Offline JasonF

  • Fishing Addict
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 104
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing Addict
  • Location: CT
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 07:43:01 AM »
Maybe somebody could clear this up a little. In the pic below is what we thought is pcl for cow sharks. Is this correct or not.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 08:04:54 AM »
That seems right to me Janus

Offline JasonF

  • Fishing Addict
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 104
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing Addict
  • Location: CT
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 08:10:48 AM »

Offline Sailor

  • Wan-to-fish
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 239
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 08:15:39 AM »
Great catch Jason. Measurment seems fine. I will also be in Cape Town soon. See you there

Offline Marthin

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1257
  • Cred: 45
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town South Africa
Re: My first cow.
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 08:49:26 AM »
Hi Jason.  Sorry ou maat ek het beslis daai measurement opgeneuk.

The fish wasn't 90kg.  I caught a cow before that we weighed and it was just over 20kg.  This fish was definately broader and longer, but it wasn't 90kg, i'm not that strong.

It was male and fat, and i would say 30kg, but after royally stuffing up the measurement(eds had been in my tackle bag and the tapemeasure wasn't there), it will now be speculation.
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal