Author Topic: Advice on my new reel  (Read 6936 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline JLP

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Amanzimtoti
Advice on my new reel
« on: June 04, 2015, 10:05:36 AM »
Hey Guys,

I got given a Penn Fierce 4000. On the internet it gave me the following specs for braid: 335m/15, 275m/20, 205/30. Max drag 13lb.

Would this reel be suitable for scratching and the odd decent size edible? if so, what size braid should I load it with? or is it a spinning reel?

I'm pairing it with a 12ft L&F 3-5 oz tip

cheers

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Advice on my new reel
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 10:24:09 AM »
JLP , i would go with 20 lb braid , it can double as a spinning reel as well , although id say it works best on a 9.6ft - 11 ft rod for scratching and spinning as along as it feels pretty balanced on the rod and works for you , its a tough little reel and has nice braid capacity for a 4000 size reel .   

Offline JLP

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Amanzimtoti
Re: Advice on my new reel
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 10:31:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply Mike,

I have a 9,6 ft rod however wouldn't a 12ft provide greater casting distance?
I fish toti area and there are often sand banks I try get over.
what does the max drag of 13lb mean?

Cheers

Offline philter

  • Phil
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 109
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • WishIcould
  • Location: Springs Gauteng
Re: Advice on my new reel
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 04:41:01 PM »
13 lb is roughly 6kg, (2.2lbs in a kg), so basically if you had to lock your drag up as much as you can, the fish would have to be able to pull with more than 6kg force to take line, it is however not a good idea to fish with your drag set on maximum, better to adjust it as you fight a fish


Generally speaking, yes, a 12ft rod would cast further than a 9'6 rod, however, the further you cast the better your chance of hooking something that you might not be able to control with a 4000 size reel and 20lb braid, or alternatively, it may cause the fight to stretch out for so long that it isn't possible to release the fish due to fatigue(presuming that you release some of the fish you catch)


Also depends on the weight of what you are casting


Offline JLP

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Amanzimtoti
Re: Advice on my new reel
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 10:09:35 AM »
O Ok....I now get the picture.
Rather play it a little safe for a while then upgrade.

Thanks for the help guys

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Advice on my new reel
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 10:26:45 AM »
I scratch with my Penn Fierce 5000, which is loaded with 20lb Viros braid.

Offline JLP

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Amanzimtoti
Re: Advice on my new reel
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 10:52:31 AM »
Would you scratch with braid in a rocky area?
I can imagine it becoming an expensive exercise if you get hooked on rocks etc?

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Advice on my new reel
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 11:56:48 AM »
I scratch with braid every where. Generally your leader helps you in rocky areas. I have not had much damage done to my braid. Look for a high resistant braid if you can, but yeah havent had much trouble. Maybe some one else can advise here?

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Advice on my new reel
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 12:38:43 PM »
Problem with braid getting hooked up in the rocks ,barnacles etc.. it dont break as easy as mono.. so you got to pull like mad and braid can cut you very quickly and badly , mostly the leader lets go or lure/trace snaps off or hooks come back rather straight .

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Advice on my new reel
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 01:11:42 PM »
I've fished braid exclusively on all my setups except my heavy non eds tackle since 2009. I don't think I have ever had the braid get cut off in the middle of the mainline. I've always bust off on the braid to mono join so I wouldn't stress about braid and rocks

Kobus Wentzel

  • Guest
Re: Advice on my new reel
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 11:03:42 PM »
it is however not a good idea to fish with your drag set on maximum, better to adjust it as you fight a fish


Sho! the memories of pain misery just got me after reading this part of your post, Philter!!


Was also advised to slack off on the drag pressure of my Abu Soron 70 loaded with 60lb PU while targeting GT's off the ledges to the south from Mapelaan,(dis 'n mamoerse trap na daai skippie toe! seker 10km!) I used 1/2 shad as bait, precisely split from top to bottom as bait on 2, 12/0 Owner circle hooks. After the first two incredible take-offs like nothing I have ever experienced, reels absolutely screaming like a banshee, line cutting into my finger and lost fish in the coral. I firstly used Absolutely ALL the Nastiest curse words and manes of the person who's advise I followed and the very calmly turned that carbonmatrix drag down tight.


A new 1/2 shad hit the water and then All hell broke loose! I just saw the blue flash speeding from the ledges and Wham!! and basically the same order of events was repeated, just a nano bit less chaotic! Reel screaming and now the Burkely Airs tip is violently janked to the ledge. Unfortunately the Soron's drag could not stand up to this hungry GT enthusiasm!!


I say turn the drag Tight!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 11:06:49 PM by Kobus Wentzel »

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal