Author Topic: Breede River trip report  (Read 18035 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Breede River trip report
« on: May 04, 2015, 09:29:27 PM »
In February this year I had a trip planned to De Hoop in the Cape. I decided to add on three days and spend that time fishing the Breede river, which is just a stones throw away from De Hoop. I had heard so much about this amazing river, and was dead keen to see just what it was like for myself! My camera man, Brod Whitaker, and myself drove down from KZN, stopping for a night at Cape St Francis on our way. The drive the next day was awesome, it had been some years since I had done the Garden Route, and we both made the most of it, stopping along the way and admiring amazing scenery and some spectacularly fishy looking pieces of water.

We arrived at the Mudlark guest house, where we were to be staying, at about 4pm and were greeted by the sight of the river being blown to pieces by a very strong wind. There was not a single boat on the water, which wasn't surprising, as the water was streaked with white foam and looked very unfriendly. I sat and chatted to the owners Tim and Hilary and they seemed pretty confident that the wind would blow itself out sometime that night.
I set up my tackle on the veranda of my room and enjoyed a couple of beers, before we had a delicious dinner and an early night. We were up at dark thirty in the morning and the wind had indeed dropped. We quickly grabbed gear and headed upriver on foot, following the bank for a few hundred metres.

There we found a couple of rocky points, with a small shallow bay in between them. This looked like a good area to get started and I wasted no time in getting a drop shot out into the water. I was testing the new Shimano Terez Waxwing rod, which had just arrived in the country, and had it matched up to a Stella 5000 reel, with 20lb Sufix 832 braid on it. I was casting 3/4 oz jig heads, which I dressed with a six inch McCarthy paddletail in the baby elf colour. I quickly discovered that the rocky point that I was standing on ended in a ledge just beneath the water in front of me, making a nice deep channel. There were some rocks in the water close to the edge, which I lost a couple of jigs on, quickly learning that I needed to speed up my retrieve when my lure got close in. I didn't have any action on my drop shot, but the spot looked good and I was confident that it would produce fish at some stage. 

The tide started to drop fast and I started working the shallow bay with some surface lures, looking for grunter.  It looked like an ideal spot, with a muddy bottom and plenty of mud prawn holes. After a short while a boat arrived and dropped anchor at the mouth of the bay. It turned out to be Keith Tait, from the Fishing Specialist in Cape Town, along with Sean Rafferty. We chatted for a bit and they invited me to join them on the boat, as they were also looking for grunter on topwater lures. Keith hooked and landed a grunter on a pink Rapala X-Rap Walk:



It wasn't a huge fish, but it was a grunter and that is all that mattered! A short while later I landed one as well, also on a X-Rap Walk, and I was happy to be on the score board. I had been hearing that the Cape boys were not convinced that the Breede grunter would eat surface lures and was happy to see that they did.

Brod stuck a live mud prawn out on a light stick and let it drift weightless near the drop off to the bay and it was picked up by a feisty little grunter. As he brought it in, there was a massive swirl in the water and a big zambezi shark chased the grunter right into the shallows, so much so, that half of the shark's body was exposed and it was sliding on its belly! Brod managed to pull the grunter away from the shark, and the shark left the scene. Brod landed the grunter and we were interested to see that it had a tag in it.



We sent in the tag information to ORI when we got home and found that the grunter had been tagged at exactly the same spot the previus week by my friend Andrew Parsons.

By now the tide had started to turn, so we moved to the big sandbank closer to the river mouth to try for some garrick on the pushing tide. We cast small poppers and managed to get some small garrick, which were great fun on the light tackle that we were using for them. I was interested to see that the garrick were definitely a lot more interested in faster moving, splashy poppers than they were in any of the slower, more subtle surface lures. This isn't all that unusual, but their preferences definitely do vary a bit from place to place. The garrick action was fun, but the fish were on the small side.
As it got later and the tide pushed us off the bank we decided to go back to the rocky point where I had started that morning. I got my dropshot rig out and started working the lure, bouncing it off the bottom in the deeper channel. All of a sudden the lure got hit and the rod went down. I was into a good fish, which fought hard, using the current to its advantage and telling me it was a kob by the violent head shakes. I pressed it as hard as I could, being mindful of the shark that we had seen there that very morning, and not wanting this fish to get eaten. Whenit got close it made some massive swirls on the surface and I knew that I was into a decent kob. I was very pleased as this was one of the fish I wanted to catch in the Breede. I landed it as the sun was setting and was super chuffed with a good day's fishing!
The next couple of days brought us much of the same. We pretty much followed the same pattern, fishing each spot on its tide and had a lot of fun. I tried some 1/0 VMC Spot circle hooks for grunter with live mud prawn and no sinker, just casting the prawn with the wind behind me on a very light rig. This was lots of fun and we caught some nice grunter this way.




The Garrick were pretty small, but I understand that they do get some very good garrick in the river at times, so it was just our bad luck that the big ones were not around. The little ones came in shoals and provided great entertainment on the very light tackle we used for them.


The little one above that Brod is holding actually ate Keith's lure while he was targeting grunter, so it was one of the few garrick to show interest in a slow moving lure. The others wanted the lure to be ripping away from them before they would bite. 

I got a couple more nice kob on the drop shot as well



The kob in the pic above also had a tag in it. When I got home I checked with ORI and it had been caught a year before at Struisbaai by a MR J Hamman, so it had been free for 362 days and had moved 102kms. It is really good to see that guys are tagging and releasing fish in that area! Hopefully the next guy that catches it will have as much fun as MR Hamman and I had with it and maybe he will release it for someone else to enjoy as well!


The three days went by so quickly, I felt like I was just starting to understand the system a bit and it was time to go. Anyhow, I was very impressed with the Breede as a lure fishing destination and it is definitely on my list of places to return to. There is some seriously good fishing potential there!



Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 10:05:28 PM »
 (clap) Awesome report as usual, Sir Tommo. You guys made some great catches, well done. I would have been very careful not to fall in the water after seeing the Zambezi chase the Grunter. 

Give me a shout the next time you pass through Knysna, I would gladly buy you a beer or two. It would be interesting to hear your views on our estuary. I have tried paddle tails for Kob before but have yet to land my first one on it. What does the bite feel like?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:06:20 PM by SAfish »

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 10:18:48 PM »
Thanks Hermann, Yep, I will contact you next time i go that way.


Usually the kob just hits it and it is on, other times there is a gentle tap while you are dropping the rod between twitches and when you lift the rod it is there. try and work the deeper holes and make sure your paddle tail gets down to the bottom. Keep trying, once you start catching it just gets easier, the first one is usually the hardest, for all species.

Offline Shaun17

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1614
  • Cred: 262
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 04:31:54 AM »
Geez, what a lekker report Tommo!!! Please keep them coming...  :clfoto:

What were your thoughts on the Shimano Terez?

Offline kevf

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 677
  • Cred: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: underberg,kzn
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 05:51:55 AM »
great report thanks tommo
its cruiser country

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 06:08:25 AM »
Thanks Tommo, I will keep trying.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 06:56:54 AM »
Superb Tommo!!!

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 07:03:42 AM »
Great report Tommo and  (clap) on some lekka cobbies

Offline Willie

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2033
  • Cred: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Novice
  • Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 07:20:27 AM »
Wow Tommo great report as always.  :cgrts:
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline colin

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 752
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kelland , Randburg
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 07:27:57 AM »
 :clfoto: thanks for sharing, enjoy your posts .  :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline BETTYS

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 807
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bettys Bay , WP
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 08:31:26 AM »
Great catches and it is really good to see that the cob is starting to get back, looks like the rules to close the river at night for fishing is really starting to pay off. :clfoto: :envy .
I LOVE THE SMELL OF FRESH BAIT IN THE MORNING

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 08:53:33 AM »
Awesome stuff Tommo, well done and thanks for a great report -  :+ cred: 

Offline Marthin

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1257
  • Cred: 45
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town South Africa
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 08:56:32 AM »
Well done... guess where im going this weekend... now i'm plenty stoked... don't know if the season is right but will be giving the rocky point a bash with the artificials...
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline Poenie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 315
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Somerset West, Cape Town
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 09:44:49 AM »
Nice Tommo!! Good to see the movement of that cobbie! Marthin, gaan jy Witsand of Infanta kant toe?

Offline Marthin

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1257
  • Cred: 45
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town South Africa
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 10:26:58 AM »
Ons bly by mudlark vir die naweek.... kom eers laat vrydag daar aan, so sal net saterdag kan gooi tot mamma raas en sondag dalk nog vinnige enetjie voor ons kaap toe ry....
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline WJ

  • Team Blacktip
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 298
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: East Londen, Eastern Cape
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 10:30:44 AM »
Brilliant report Craig.  :clfoto:  And congrats on those fine catches (clap)

Offline Poenie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 315
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Somerset West, Cape Town
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
Swell tel mooi op Donderdag, dan Vrydag sak die swell en wind. Die oggend sal jy nog 'n paar galjoene kry as jy oor die Infanta punt stap en gooi in die eerste baai agter die punt. Laaste uur van sak en eerste uur van stoot (10hr-12hr). Een van my favourite gate in die land daai... Heelwat krakers ook daar! Ek sou verseker eerder dit doen as rivier, maar familie maak dit nie altyd moontlik nie! Sterkte!

Offline SPARODON

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 155
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: kzn
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 10:35:03 AM »
Great report thanks. Breede river added to the bucket list :envy

Offline Marthin

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1257
  • Cred: 45
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town South Africa
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 10:37:05 AM »
Thanx poenie.... Sal laat weet hoe gaan dit, sien nogal uit lanklaas iets ordentlik gevang...
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Breede River trip report
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 10:41:38 AM »
Wow fantastic report and fish tommo.


During the same time you guys were down there , I also saw some good kob on paddle tails in the breede .


There's a bunch of guys and club anglers tagging fish in Struisbaai , year round .


I have caught a released a grunted in de mond , that was tagged in the breede.
I have also released a tagged fish inside the harbour , also tagged in breede.
Then I know do a couple of dehoop fish recaps in Struisbaai .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal