Author Topic: Spoons  (Read 3235 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Spoons
« on: May 04, 2015, 10:29:33 AM »
Hi all the spinning guys. I am a spinning freak....i have admitted to the addiction for a number of years now. I love the Iron Candies etc and fish them lots. I also love my S bend spoons. I was thinking about patterns on some Halcos and Rapalas and decided to play around with the colors on some S bend spoons. Cant wait to give them a try.....what do you guys think?

Offline Dewald Posthumus

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 182
  • Cred: 8
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Benoni
Re: Spoons
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 11:15:01 AM »
I like it!
Get your hands on some aluminium tape at your local Builders and replace the silver paint with the alu tape, it buffs up really nicely and you can paint over it as well, thus you will have a chrome spoon with some colour in it.
This was a plain white Clone lure, recovered with alu tape and painted with a spray can.

 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:30:17 AM by Dewald Posthumus »

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Spoons
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 11:46:13 AM »
Looks good boys... congrats!  :resp:
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline tackle whore

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 196
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: cape town
Re: Spoons
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 11:19:18 PM »
don't forget the lumo as well . lumo/silver very good combo as well or lumo/black

Offline Haroldg

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 159
  • Cred: 7
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spoons
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 11:29:30 PM »
Nice looking spoons fishy1969. I have something very similar but don't use these much as I've scaled down to lures in the 45g - 60g due to the lighter outfit. The red and white color scheme is quite popular on other lures so this combination should work. Often the ones you least expect to work do so give them all a try. I've seen this many times over the years. I see you took the trouble to embed rings in the front and not the rear - any reason for this?

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spoons
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 06:58:25 AM »
I inherited the moulds like that from my dad....i have just made new moulds with rings on both ends

Offline Haroldg

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 159
  • Cred: 7
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spoons
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 10:28:39 PM »
@Dewald - the finish on that lure looks really great considering it's straight out a spray can. Have you used it in the salt yet and does it last? What brand of paint is that?

Offline Dewald Posthumus

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 182
  • Cred: 8
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Benoni
Re: Spoons
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 11:18:29 AM »
Harold, yes and yes is the short answer. It is the automotive paint in a can, cannot recall the make.
I have a couple of clear coats over the pint, if you really want, you can go the Sally Hansen Hard as Nails (Nail polish) route as a clear coat, that stuff is amazing. Used it for all my saltwater flies as well.
 

Offline Haroldg

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 159
  • Cred: 7
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spoons
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 12:38:05 PM »
Dewald - thanks a lot mate. I like the idea of the hard clear coat - this means that the quality of the paint doesn't really matter that much as it's protected by the clear coat? The same goes for the eyes?

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal