Author Topic: www.Afritackle.co.za for hard-to-find local SW lures & terminals - Launch Promo  (Read 14463 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
If you lure fish and come from KZN or inland it's likely you've never come across the single most useful bit of lure kit out there - Dennis Swannell's Kwik clip.  I first got hold of them after I moved to Cape Town and they are really brilliant.


Previously I was fiddling around with split rings and power swivels - no more.  The Kwik clip is strong and quick to use. Sizes from 0.8 (light tackle - 14g lures up) to 1.6 (fine for 80lb braid).

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
I have a couple of them and they work really well and are super strong.  :win:

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
 :wtr:best lure clips on the market . Just scarce to get hold of , when I see them in a shop I buy the lot .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
I only use them, the 0.8 mm one! Absolutely brilliant!

Offline Dewald Posthumus

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 182
  • Cred: 8
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Benoni
I ordered mine via Afritackle.co.za!  :tkx:

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
For the first time ever a full range of Clones is available online http://afritackle.co.za/clone-lures.html   There are lots of new colours, weights and sizes.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
All sorts can you give an explanation of what the action is like on the clones?

I bought one a couple of months back and when I popped it in the lure testing facility aka swimming pool I was very disappointed to see all it did was sink nose down.

I may have bought one that was too heavy because if you can get it to swim its great but unfortunately this thing needs to be cranked like hell to have it swim properly. Or are these fast retrieve lures :dunno:

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
All sorts can you give an explanation of what the action is like on the clones?

I bought one a couple of months back and when I popped it in the lure testing facility aka swimming pool I was very disappointed to see all it did was sink nose down.

I may have bought one that was too heavy because if you can get it to swim its great but unfortunately this thing needs to be cranked like hell to have it swim properly. Or are these fast retrieve lures :dunno:


If you're a rod-snapping superhero, you should be able to wind fast enough even on a fly reel  w;k
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Hi Halfpint - firstly I'm no expert on Clones - hopefully other forum members will chip in.  Fished slowly sub-surface the Clone has a very subtle tail wiggle which works very well in the surf zone for kob especially.  Based on a good friend of mine's (Jacques De Wet who use the Clone a lot) comments my understanding is that the weight and long-distance casting ability allows you to reach structure that is far out or in big wind - talking Southern Cape here - close in.  The only other alternative is a spoon which cannot be fished as slowly as a Clone without dragging in the sand. 


Bear in  mind one of the most successful East coast USA striper lures is the needlefish (see pic of a well-chewed one below) and it has zero action and is usually only used at night.  Retrieve is just a slow wind varying speed to take into account the surge.  Both the Clone and the Needlefish displace water (which the fish feel), have a prey profile, are moving at a natural speed and are in the right zone so they get eaten.


The Pautzs rig with 2 assists as the kob usually hit the Clone at the head - see pics below.

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
If you crank the Clone quickly it will pop up on top and then you can slow it down a bit to a medium fast retrieve - it performs exactly like a skinny needlnose and you can crank it really fast and it won't tumble.    Plenty of bus yellowtail have been caught in the E.Cape on Clones this season.

Offline JacquesdW

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: CT, WC
Hi Rolfe
I have tuned on of my clones (14cm, 75g) by pinching and bending up the front eye. I have not tested it yet but I think it will make the Clone dive a bit deeper and give it more action, a la a Yo Zuri Mag Darter.
Can't wait for the 12 May and then have the rest of the month for fishing Southern Cape surf.

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Hi Jacques - interesting idea - let us know how it goes please.  Are you going to try rigging them as the Pautz's do - front and back assists?

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Hey Rolfe, nice stuff there. Was just talking about you the other day. Wish you all the best, just hope you still doing Z-Claws

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Hi Mike - all good thanks.  Z'Claws no more - too expensive.  Z'Killers doing very well - must send you one - the prototype I gave you is not the same lure now on sale - different weighting and generally tightened up.  Very close to the 'Claw but 1/3rd of the price.  Someone caught a yellowtail down here on a Z'Killer - trying to get the details.   It's high time you break one on a dorrie again...

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Hi Mike - all good thanks.  Z'Claws no more - too expensive.  Z'Killers doing very well - must send you one - the prototype I gave you is not the same lure now on sale - different weighting and generally tightened up.  Very close to the 'Claw but 1/3rd of the price.  Someone caught a yellowtail down here on a Z'Killer - trying to get the details.   It's high time you break one on a dorrie again...
:fshn:

Offline Fishersteve

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 123
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jersey Channel Islands/Emonti
If you crank the Clone quickly it will pop up on top and then you can slow it down a bit to a medium fast retrieve - it performs exactly like a skinny needlnose and you can crank it really fast and it won't tumble.   


Thats the reason why lipless lures work so well - they don't need a fast retrieve to work. Yes pelagic type species prefer a fast retrieve but for most fish with a square tail this can be to fast.I've never used a clone lure but caught a lot of fish on needle fish lures bought and home made and they work much the same on a slow retrieve. For fishing on or near the bottom say in the surf they can be cast out allowed to sink to the bottom and reeled in slowly a foot or two above the bottom depending on water movement current.The more current the more it will rise to the surface.( like a plane taking off )
Most needle fish lures target fish higher up in the water column and the key material is the wood its made from.Weighted for instance the same as a clone but as it's made from wood it's more buoyant it rides higher.


Good luck Rolfe


By the way was talking to Mick Ward recently about Z-Claws and he mentioned  he met someone from SA when he was in France a few years back. With the Z-Claw connection I said it was probably you.  w;k

Offline allsorts

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lakeside, Cape Town
Great to hear from you Steve.  It was indeed in Nantes - met Mick, Henry, Ben and a few of the other guys from TLF.  Bit of a mind-blowing experience that show.  I know you have been fishing needles a lot (I keep up with Keith White's writing) and next season I want to try more stripery tactics for the kob - reckon needles and maybe those lipped bottle plugs would be worth a look if it's rough.  Big spoons are fine for casting but most need to be retrieved quite quickly if they are to have any action and p/tails don't cast especially well either.  Been watching John Skinners videos on the striper tactis and it has got me thinking.


Need to get round to flogging the Z'Killer in Europe.  It's obviously an 'homage' to the Z'Claw but not a direct copy - it's a bit longer and I changed the buoyancy a bit to suit our faster retrieves - hooks are better than original as well - those ST46's aren't really strong enough for big fish.  I'm looking for someone in UK or Ireland to fish it properly and get some SB on it for promotion purposes.  I'd value any suggestions you may have.  It'd sell for a tenner with good dealer margin. 

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
All sorts can you give an explanation of what the action is like on the clones?

I bought one a couple of months back and when I popped it in the lure testing facility aka swimming pool I was very disappointed to see all it did was sink nose down.

I may have bought one that was too heavy because if you can get it to swim its great but unfortunately this thing needs to be cranked like hell to have it swim properly. Or are these fast retrieve lures :dunno:


I have fished with them a lot , here's my take on them .


I would say its a kob lure , when fished slowly , the same nose drop action they have , is ideal for bouncing them on the bottom for kob . Your lure should hit the bottom evy now and then .often often the kob grabs the lure on the sink very often , can you imagine , the lure sinking , and you give it a twitch one / two . It drives the kob nuts .
I refer to bouncing your lure  as its the only way to describe ones retrieve when fishing for kob , one should not drag your lure across the floor , but it's important when targeting kob on clones of pd for that matter to every now and then hit the bottom with your lure .
The light ones can be twitched on the surface , with n pretty cool action twitch pause ...
But they are too light in comparison it's their size .
I have taken some tail on them the big ones 3 ounce . Must say they cast like bullets , but in Struis some times the fish are on the bottom and you simply can't get a 3 ounce lure / sinker down to them, we often fish in heavy currents.


I however would like to here from the guys targeting kingies and warm water fish .


Regarding rigging , I have tried every option available , I prefer a single with a double splitring . Assist hook at the from works very well too , but when fishing beaches you should check your hook regularly , the sand blunts it out very quick .




The baby floating clone the 9 cm  it's a very underestimated baby lure , it out fished  baby spooks / and tiasticks hands downts season ' it does also seem to have very poor action , but make no bloody mistake fish love them . You can get a decent action out of them .


Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Fishersteve

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 123
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jersey Channel Islands/Emonti
Great to hear from you Steve.  It was indeed in Nantes - met Mick, Henry, Ben and a few of the other guys from TLF.  Bit of a mind-blowing experience that show.  I know you have been fishing needles a lot (I keep up with Keith White's writing) and next season I want to try more stripery tactics for the kob - reckon needles and maybe those lipped bottle plugs would be worth a look if it's rough.  Big spoons are fine for casting but most need to be retrieved quite quickly if they are to have any action and p/tails don't cast especially well either.  Been watching John Skinners videos on the striper tactis and it has got me thinking.


Need to get round to flogging the Z'Killer in Europe.  It's obviously an 'homage' to the Z'Claw but not a direct copy - it's a bit longer and I changed the buoyancy a bit to suit our faster retrieves - hooks are better than original as well - those ST46's aren't really strong enough for big fish.  I'm looking for someone in UK or Ireland to fish it properly and get some SB on it for promotion purposes.  I'd value any suggestions you may have.  It'd sell for a tenner with good dealer margin.


Yeah Johns got some good videos out there but they still get some good runs of fish there like our shads runs used to be is SA so things look a little easier.He does know his stuff tho and I often watch his videos.


I'll fish them and probably could get one or two of the boys to do so if you want. Tuff seabass lure market up here but catching fish with them is probably the best place to start.












Offline DavePE

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 74
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
AllSorts do you still sell lures? I was looking to stock up but it seems the website is down?

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal