Author Topic: Reel Choice  (Read 7721 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline MikeD

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, Kwazulu-Natal
Reel Choice
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:13:13 PM »
Howzit guys
I am looking at two different reels. Main target is anything upto 40kgs or so, i.e. duskies  :brnz: , diamonds and any edible.
Choices:
-Shimano Ultegra 14 000 XSC
-Shimano Spheros 10 000 SW
These will be paired with a converted rod (Poseidon 5) for the moment and I may upgrade to a better rod at a later stage.
The question is: Do I go for one of these or do I just suck it up and buy the 20 000 SW Spheros? I'm worried about it being overkill for the smaller fish (ie brown skates).
Only problem with the ultegra is the same problem with all big pits: breaking or bending of internal components.
Problem with the 10 000 spheros is line capacity (I have seen this reel at work and it is awesome!).
What do you guys think?
 
Cheers
Mike :shmno:

Offline Hypershark

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 29
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Benoni , Gauteng
Re: Reel Choice
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 03:56:20 PM »
The spheros 10k can take 500m / 600m of 50lb braid if im not mistaken ... so line capacity shouldnt be an issue for your targetted species or most in-eds like the big raggies  :-)

Go for the spheros or even the saragossa 10k if your budget allows you   :-)

Offline kevind0809

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 93
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: JHB
Re: Reel Choice
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 04:01:57 PM »
Mike, I am currently using the 14000 xsc. The biggest fish landed on that reel was a 70kg raggie. I landed a few flat fish, kob Garrick and quiet a few spinners and small greys. The reel handles very well. The thing is I only fish 7 times in a year.

If I had to advise you, I will go for the spheros. It is stronger than the ultegra although you will loose a bit of distance as the ultegra is a big pit reel. If I was fishing often and cost is not a factor then I would consider for the Saragossa. I have seen some guys fishing comps with the spheros and they are putting a lot of pressure on the fish with that reel.

Suck it up and go 20000sw. Do not worry about the overkill for smaller fish you will thank yourself when you pick up a big fish whilst fishing for the smaller fish.




Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Reel Choice
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 04:05:47 PM »
10000 spheros.

Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Reel Choice
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 04:27:55 PM »
10 000 spheros!

The ultegra is nice but really sensitive where as the newer shimanos are much stronger

Offline Angler21

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 571
  • Cred: 32
  • Location: Durban KZN
Re: Reel Choice
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 07:56:51 PM »
Saragosa 10000 SW or 20000 SW

You will never regret your purchase.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Reel Choice
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 08:11:16 PM »
If I recall correctly the 10000 holds about 500 meters of braid 50 lbs .
The 20000 hols close to 900 meters of braid 50 lbs .


Spooling up with braid on the bigger reel , will cost you about give or take an extra 400 to 600 bucks so keep it in consideration when purchasing .


I would rather not open the can of worms and say , that you will never need 900 m  of braid and should you get n pull that takes 900 m of braid , it was just not meant to be landed ....


As you mentioned your not fishing for really bigggg fish , and IMO , 500 m is enough to give a a fair chance .
Even for bigger fish you stand a good chance .
Who's been spooled on 500 m?

Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Reel Choice
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 07:25:29 AM »
If I recall correctly the 10000 holds about 500 meters of braid 50 lbs .
The 20000 hols close to 900 meters of braid 50 lbs .


Spooling up with braid on the bigger reel , will cost you about give or take an extra 400 to 600 bucks so keep it in consideration when purchasing .


I would rather not open the can of worms and say , that you will never need 900 m  of braid and should you get n pull that takes 900 m of braid , it was just not meant to be landed ....


As you mentioned your not fishing for really bigggg fish , and IMO , 500 m is enough to give a a fair chance .
Even for bigger fish you stand a good chance .
Who's been spooled on 500 m?

 :blush: I have had a couple of fish take more than 500m but then I also had more than 500m of line on all my reels so no problem

Offline MikeD

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, Kwazulu-Natal
Re: Reel Choice
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 07:54:03 AM »
Hi Guys
 
Thanks so much for the replies!  :-)
Seems I will be getting the 10 000. Now to do some internet shopping to see if where is the cheapest... :happ:
Cheers
Mike :uarocks

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal