Author Topic: Trebles on Toby spoons  (Read 5215 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Trebles on Toby spoons
« on: January 05, 2015, 04:24:42 PM »
Any input on how to go about replacing trebles on Toby spoons with singles? I tried it but put the treble back after 3 throws as it affected the action significantly.
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Trebles on Toby spoons
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 05:02:13 PM »
jball - what I do is cut one of the treble hook points off, makes it a double hook instead of a treble. Doesn't affect the action that much and does less damage to the fish.

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: Trebles on Toby spoons
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 05:28:58 PM »
Thanks Reefs, will give it a bash.
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Trebles on Toby spoons
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 09:42:06 AM »
Any input on how to go about replacing trebles on Toby spoons with singles? I tried it but put the treble back after 3 throws as it affected the action significantly.

 :+ cred: For taking this step jball7204. Too many trebles out there. Hopefully, they will become more rare over time. Very glad to see some lures only come with singles now.

Offline Jordz

  • Fishing for men and fish...
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 214
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • I hear the fish calling my name,
  • Location: Ramsgate, Kwa-Zulu Natal
Re: Trebles on Toby spoons
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 09:49:43 AM »
I very simply don't use a trebble on a toby spoon, I only use singles, I have never had a problem, I feel that the action that may or may not be affected, (depatable question) is simply not worth the damage that is done to the fish. I have seen guys get so hacked off with trebbles that they simply just rip off the fishes mouth to get their trebble back. That is never worth it.
I am unashamed of the one that came down from Heaven, took my place on the cross and died for the forgiveness of my sins, Jesus Christ you rock...

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Trebles on Toby spoons
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 09:55:34 AM »
We are yet to lose a fish with a single. My personal opinion is (And this IS my opinion) that good fishermen should not need trebles to catch. It's what I have always told my son. Ofcourse it is different if you intend killing everything that comes out the water.

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: Trebles on Toby spoons
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 05:44:14 PM »
You guys are all correct. I have never had a fish damaged by a treble fortunately, but prefer to use singles where possible. Hookups are far more solid, and the hook stays in. Often on the Toby's you get a fish, and as you get it onto the sand or in the shallows it chucks the hook. Some fish opt for the quick release....

I've had far more fish damaged (on bait that is) swallowing a single hook, especially when fishing ultra light in gullies etc. with a small chokka strip. If that hook cannot be removed safely I cut the line and hope for the best for the oke. Always feel bad when that happens...

Fortunately circles around now.


"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline fishatic

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 500
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randpark Ridge, Johannesburg
Re: Trebles on Toby spoons
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 07:07:36 PM »
Double hooks are also available.
Van Fook are available locally.
Can store all lures without hooks and or replace hooks as required - shanks are un brazed.




Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: Trebles on Toby spoons
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
 :tkx:
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Trebles on Toby spoons
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 06:27:49 AM »

If that hook cannot be removed safely I cut the line and hope for the best for the oke. Always feel bad when that happens...


If your hooks are not stainless steel, the fish should be fine. A friend of mine caught a Garrick with an entire 'old' spoon in it's throat. I have released fish with hooks that they swallowed (Before we switched to circles). I don't know what the stats are on fish mortality when released with a swallowed hook, but my take is that if the hook is not a monster size and if it is a hook that will rust, the fish should be good. Besides, I have never caught a fish with an old hook in it's throat and I have never seen a dead fish anywhere on the banks or floating down river with a hook in it's throat or stomach.

Anyway, a fish released (Even with a hook inside it) is better than kill kill kill. Atleast it has a chance, so you did the right thing.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Trebles on Toby spoons
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 10:20:03 AM »
Jis , I typed a reply regarding the double hooks .


I only know of those in really heavy gauge wire , those are the main hooks we use on our trolling when using loligo squids here in Struis in CPT Those are on all the commie boats , for Tuna and Tail . For some reason , the loligo squids run better with a double than a Treble , and quest what the double hook out preforms the identical lure on a single . This i reckon are purely about the shape of the lure we troll but it 'sits' better on a double . 9/0 ,10/0 12/0 .
Some guys use them on their Rapalas too .


What my post is about , unless you have a seriously big Toby , or know of palace where to get them in lighter gauge and smaller sizes let the guys know .


Lots of mention how bad Trebs are for fish , they are damn dangerous to fisherman alike .... With Rapalas that has double hooks , and a flapping fish on deck , or on slippery rocks ....
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline fishatic

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 500
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randpark Ridge, Johannesburg
Re: Trebles on Toby spoons
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 10:37:54 AM »
Mia's have the vanfooks  in sizes from 10 (not 10/0) up to 1 in the doubles.
Perfect for smaller lures.
I got sick and tired of the tangle-of-trebles in my lure boxes.
Will post a photo of a rigged lure or two fir size comparison



Offline fishatic

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 500
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randpark Ridge, Johannesburg
Re: Trebles on Toby spoons
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 12:44:53 PM »
They well on smaller and larger lures.


Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Trebles on Toby spoons
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 02:00:22 PM »
I fish a lot with the genuine Toby spoons (my all time favourite) . The first thing I do is throw away the trebles and replace the split rings. I honestly dont know if it changes the action at all. I fish over rocks mainly and another advantage of using the single hook is a lot less spoons caught on the rocks. Im not overly fussed about which way the hook faces. The Toby spoon has an awesome action with lots of flash. All my spoons have single hooks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:01:17 PM by Plugger »
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline BAUMANNATOR

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 115
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: PMB
Re: Trebles on Toby spoons
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 03:21:25 PM »
One of the secret weapons for kob in the Eastern Cape is the douuble toby....rattle with bubbles....only using a dingle hook.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:22:58 PM by BAUMANNATOR »

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Trebles on Toby spoons
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 06:42:38 PM »
Is that using two of the thin Toby imitations "spooned" together, ?
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline BAUMANNATOR

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 115
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: PMB
Re: Trebles on Toby spoons
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 07:46:17 PM »
You are looking for the combined weight to suite your set-ups sweet spot. The double also flies better.I use the stainless ones, but have used the cheap knock-offs around structure with success.Shad also go mad for them.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal