Author Topic: Spinning at Illovo Beach  (Read 2856 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Spinning at Illovo Beach
« on: January 05, 2015, 03:29:02 PM »

Hello fellow Spinning Anglers.

I am planning a vacation at the Natalia Resort, Illovo KZN at the end of January for 2 weeks. There is not much information about any fishing activities at Illovo Beach area on the internet. I am starting to wander if there are any fish or is Illovo Natal Coasts GRAVEYARD ... hahaha! I have been there on a day break and looks like a great beach section with lovely banks and gully's.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:38:09 PM by carll »

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Spinning at Illovo Beach
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 04:01:29 PM »
Carll, co-incidentally that is where I caught my very first saltwater fish a Pompano about 40 years ago.

I have not fished there since but never heard of any fireworks. Its a very sandy bottom so maybe better too look just North or South of the resort.
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline Chigger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 547
  • Cred: 26
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spinning at Illovo Beach
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 06:31:27 PM »
Carll, go south to the rocks just past the Karadene hotel from the river mouth (blind most times) for your best bet. I used to fly and lure fish there regularly. On a good day I have caught 20 + shad on fly, I've also caught 5 species on a morning session, shad, kingies, pompano, wrass and river snapper.


The stretch from the Illovo river including the river itself south to the Karadene hotel can also produce on the right tide. The Illovo river used to have kingies, river snapper and bream.


One word of warning, watch out for the banditos, don't fish alone if you fishing the rocks to the south.

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: Spinning at Illovo Beach
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 10:14:19 PM »
Hi Chigger


Thank you for your in-dept response.  (clap) Now I feel more positive. I am starting to think that Illovo beach area is

Natal Coasts grave yard !

Offline Angler21

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 571
  • Cred: 32
  • Location: Durban KZN
Re: Spinning at Illovo Beach
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 10:27:36 AM »
Hi Carl

Your other option would be Umdoni point if spinning is your order of the day. More productive and a bigger variety on offer. Not too far off from Natalia as well.

Tite lines

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal