Author Topic: Some shad for supper  (Read 2534 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Some shad for supper
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:26:54 AM »
I've recently started spinning, which means I get to fish before work in the mornings which is always a bonus.  During the closed season the shad where pretty wild,  I release plenty of them.  Naturally when the season opened I started to battle with them.  What sort of sorcery is that anyway?

Well anyway,  today I went down to the beach since the wind was finally giving us a break and the water looked like it had cleared up nicely.  I was on the beach at 4am and I decided to try out the 2oz Onda that I had painted.   It worked brilliantly and I got some nice shad that are destined to make excellent plate mates with some baked potatoes and garlic butter.

I'm also quite happy with the way my paint job worked,  the nail pollish I put over the paint protected it very nicely and the few teeth marks can just be touched up with some more nail pollish.

I'm posting from my phone which sucks so I don't know if the photo will load.  If it doesn't I'll try edit it later on the PC.

Offline Cage

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 317
  • Cred: 64
  • Gender: Male
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: Some shad for supper
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 11:42:41 AM »
nice going man!

Offline Ettienne

  • Oupie
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 357
  • Cred: 23
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sundowner, Gauteng
Re: Some shad for supper
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 12:04:10 PM »
Nice one.  (clap)
When you are on the river, ocean or in the woods, you are the closest to the truth you’ll ever get.
Jack Leonard

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Some shad for supper
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 12:05:32 PM »
Is that you in the profile pic Jared ?

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Some shad for supper
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 12:12:12 PM »
Yep its me, along with my PB bronze bream.

Offline scheeps

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Shore-based Game fishing
  • Location: Kloof; Kzn
Re: Some shad for supper
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 12:12:56 PM »
Nice fish mate. Will have to shoot to the store up the road and grab me some onda, I only have one 23g original one. See you on the beach tomorrow!  :happ: 

Offline BJR

  • Ben
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 438
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • When Fishing , SIZE does not matter !!
  • Location: MELMOTH - Zululand, KZN - SA
Re: Some shad for supper
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »
Nice going Jared.....spinning is a gr8 facet of angling & can keep you going for hours.
We fished the northern beaches of Amatikhulu recently & 99% of my trip was spent on spinning, using Onda , CID175 Slim bait, Toby spoon, Iron candies etc.

I eventually got stuck with the Onda till my son took over when I took a breather, & he lost the Onda to what seemed to be a big shad or a Queen Mack.   Had to stock up again.
Must say the purple & pink Ondas worked well.

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Some shad for supper
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 12:16:51 PM »
Aha !
Jbay ! Remembered from the old days !

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Some shad for supper
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 12:18:49 PM »
Lol yeah howzit Homie! 

The purple /black Onda is deadly in the extreme.  The action is probably the real killer though.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Some shad for supper
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 12:07:55 AM »
Very nice Jared.


Keep at it and post more of the spinning catches.

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Some shad for supper
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 08:39:49 AM »
Thanks, I'm hoping to test my setup against a more interesting species soon.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal