Author Topic: spinning in umhlanga and durban  (Read 8492 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline scheeps

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Shore-based Game fishing
  • Location: Kloof; Kzn
spinning in umhlanga and durban
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
Hi

Will be hitting the beach tomorrow morning to do some spinning. Can someone suggest some good spots and whats works in that area? What have they caught there?

Thanks

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »
Howzit.

I guess this is a good time for my first post.   Shad have been coming out at the Durban View beach but very quiet on spoons, mostly been taking bait the last week or so.   I was there this morning and even though the guys got on bait I wasn't able to temp one into taking my spoons.   I fish there often before work but I've blanked the last 4 times.   I was getting them quite regularly up till about 10 days or so ago.

As far as other species go I've had my spinning set up for just over a month but I've only managed shad so far. 

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 11:16:16 AM »
 :welc: and the world of posts.. hope we hear more from you and good luck on the spinning... keep at it and you will be rewarded.

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 11:19:16 AM »
 :welc:
I don't know where Durban View Beach is, but I've been told that "Virginia Airport" is a good spot for spinning. Guys even catch Snoek there sometimes.  It is next to the Southern fence of the airport.
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 11:23:50 AM »
Durban View is just south of the lighthouse.   You park in the parking opposite Basil Manning and Umhlanga Hardware.   Virginia is a great fishing spot and very close to me but I haven't fishes there since the renovations started.   Can't wait to get onto that new pier/stormwater outlet they built there ......

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 11:26:15 AM »
Durban View is just south of the lighthouse.   You park in the parking opposite Basil Manning and Umhlanga Hardware.

Thanks, now I know where it is!!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:27:10 AM by PH »
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline Cage

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 317
  • Cred: 64
  • Gender: Male
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »
Have had a few shad just south of the lighthouse at Umhlanga. Lots of blacktail, and juvenile kings on dropshot between the pier and the lighthouse.
Just north of Umhlanga got decent shad and a mate got great kob/salmon at Westbrook beach - last year this time hooked a good shad which got swiped by a blacktip kingie right in the shorebreak - just to the right of the parking is a big rock, fished just to the left of the rock
 

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »
Nice Cage that's some good info.  Should help Scheeps and the rest of us, especially regarding the kingfish.  I really want to get something different on my setup...

Offline scheeps

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Shore-based Game fishing
  • Location: Kloof; Kzn
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 02:01:16 PM »
Had a go at umhlanga durban view this morning, but no luck, saw them coming out on bait! Think I will give it another go on Friday morning.

Thanks for all the info guys!!

@Jared2608- I think I saw you this morning, I was to your Right. What lure where you catching the shad on? Really want to christen my new rod!!

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 02:04:41 PM »
When they where feeding nicely I got them on Kingfisher Onda's, Iron Candy Cuta Castings, Toby's, and a few on the Iron Candy SV.  The Onda has caught probably by far the most but the paint on them is not so great it seems, it peels off like it's paper, in one case after 5 casts with no fish.  Kingfisher did exchange them but the new ones did exactly the same so I guess it's time for a home paint job since they are really deadly little lures.  They were also willing to replace them again but I've already painted them.  Payday I'll buy some more in other colours, maybe I just got from a bad batch.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 05:32:31 PM by Jared2608 »

Offline Cage

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 317
  • Cred: 64
  • Gender: Male
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 05:30:24 PM »
anyone know whats going on at North Bank (blue Lagoon) - last year this time it cooked with some nice GTs coming out as well

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 07:27:57 PM »
The mouth was closed a couple days ago.  Would have been easy to get across but sadly I couldn't go.

Offline scheeps

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Shore-based Game fishing
  • Location: Kloof; Kzn
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 07:40:08 PM »
Where do you park and how do you get there if the mouth is open. Was at blue lagoon looking at areas this morning, looks like North bank could be fun.  :fshn:

Offline Moolla

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 08:50:02 PM »
Hi,

I fished at Blue Lagoon this morning.  I had a ground setup as I targeted Natal Stumpi. Besides undersize Grunter, quite a few shad were caught.

As I got to Blue Lagoon, my friend informed me that a pair of Garrick were seen smashing shad. Apparently they created quite a spectacle as they fed really aggressively. 

The good news is that the pair were estimated to be at about 70- 80 metres out. So this is within casting range from a spinning set up.

The bad news however is that they fed for a very short while and then quickly moved on.

You can try Blue Lagoon, but what worries me though is when the shad are on the bite, it can be very challenging to have a 'proper' spinning session because there are hooks and sinkers flying all over the place- the thought of untangling braid and nylon...

I would suggest: if you can get across to North Bank (walk on a deadlow?) then its worth a try because you will be able to cast freely for Garrick or kingies from that side.

All the best,
Moolla

Offline scheeps

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Shore-based Game fishing
  • Location: Kloof; Kzn
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 09:01:58 PM »
Had a look at Glen Ashley on my way home from Umhlanga durban view, the water there looks nice and deep. What is spinning like there? What is the main fish around there?

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 11:34:08 AM »
Got some shad this morning.  I have a feeling tomorrow will be awesome.

Offline scheeps

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Shore-based Game fishing
  • Location: Kloof; Kzn
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 11:57:47 AM »
Where were you fishing"Durban view"? What did you get them on?

Offline Jared2608

  • Appy spinfisherman
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 12:14:11 PM »
Yes I was at Durban View.   I got them on an Onda I repainted.

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 12:39:14 PM »
Why don't you guys give Beachwood a go? Just south of Virginia. Also gets very deep very quickly. Some big shad there sometimes. 6km walk to the mouth and back if you're feeling energetic. There's another sneaky path to the beach a Km closer to the mouth, but you have to go in a group just in case. Then its a 4km walk to the mouth and back with some very tidy spots on the way.
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline scheeps

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Shore-based Game fishing
  • Location: Kloof; Kzn
Re: spinning in umhlanga and durban
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 09:05:25 PM »
Going to give it a try again tomorrow morning. Hopefully third time lucky. Need to christen my new rod!!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal