Author Topic: 25lb tackle out-gunned!  (Read 4948 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline GOJ

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 28
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
25lb tackle out-gunned!
« on: November 12, 2014, 10:29:58 AM »
Little clip of me getting handed my arse at Hellsgate last week

GTSmoking Hellsgate

Offline Poenie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 315
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Somerset West, Cape Town
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
One can only laugh!! (because I know how it feels) Shame man, such a good run! Love how eager you are to rig up again and get another lure in!! Is there a trip-report?

Offline GOJ

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 28
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 11:20:57 AM »
Thanks Poenie, unfortunately the weather was terrible for most of the trip so not to much to report, I will be playing catchup at work for the next week, hopefully after that I will be able to look at the pics and scratch together a little report.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 11:26:46 AM »
Nice clip GOJ... run through the tackle there please? Did the braid snap or the leader knot give?

Offline GOJ

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 28
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 11:58:16 AM »
Shot Reefman, got towed over one of the many reefs in the mouth. Braid parted of around 15 meters up from the leader.

Tackle used was as follows:
Assassin Sierra 11ft
Shimano Twinpower 5000SW
25lb Gosen 8x braid
80lb fluro leader
No.10 Salmo Slider (Black) sinking

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 02:31:36 PM »
LEkker Clip , Like Poenie said , one can only laugh , I quess its getting Fraped , is what keep one going back .


Thanks for sharing  :gt: :gt:
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Poenie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 315
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Somerset West, Cape Town
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 02:38:33 PM »
Had a similar experience off Bazaruto, jigging with a Trevala ML, Stradic 500, 30lb! Got picked up by what could ONLY be a decent size GT! Took off like a freight-train, heading ONE WAY to the structure! Burnt my hand to a blister as I tried to stop the spool!! You need to be PROPERLY geared for those  :gt:

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 02:40:38 PM »
Nice,


Get pinned and hang on for the ride...

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 09:55:48 PM »
 Thanks GOJ for sharing. That was a proper  :gt:

Offline Cage

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 317
  • Cred: 64
  • Gender: Male
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 09:46:40 AM »
nice!! sometimes getting your @ss handed to you is a great reminder of just how stunning they are in their brute strength!! Love it man!!

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 10:30:30 AM »
A few years back, my girlfriend and I were throwing plugs at Zona Braza. I had wandered down the beach to cover some water and at one point looked back at Steph and saw her buckling... I ran back as fast as I could and by the time I got there, she was in tears. She'd been picked up by a double decker bus and was completely at loss as to what to do. She'd never experienced such a strong fish before and had been on a good 10 minutes or so. She was knackered. She handed the rod to me (Exceller with Spheros and 30lb fireline) and I tried my best. After another 10 or so minutes, the line parted though quite close in. The following day, we went back there at low tide and saw what the situation was. There was a ledge with a huge cave under it. That Geet had headed in there and only a winch with steel cable would have got it out. She felt better after seeing the impossibility of it all.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Cage

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 317
  • Cred: 64
  • Gender: Male
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 03:41:45 PM »
@Fishstyx, I know that ledge, I know that Cave and I know the busses that visit that spot!!Similar experience in jan this year, only throwing 65lb braid, 120lb leader and a 5 ounce GT ice cream...... all I got back was an opened 150lb Owner split ring!! PAINFUL ass whipping!!

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 03:48:09 PM »
Hahaha... painful indeed. I tried fishing it from the reef on the other side but I was a bit chicken to wait long enough for the tide to come in. We were there around spring tides.


But I did manage an interesting species that day. First and only Pursemouth ever.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Cage

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 317
  • Cred: 64
  • Gender: Male
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 03:57:19 PM »
best time for that spot is December to April over springs. its the only time you can get out onto that reef..... but the Geets come in close, I have seen them come smash needlescales on the shallow side on that sandbank in ankle deep water!!

Offline Naruto

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 566
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Freshie
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 04:27:46 PM »
Wow! Awesome video!
“Every search begins with beginner’s luck. And every search ends with the victor’s being severely tested.”

1.   “…whoever you are, or whatever it is that you do, when you really want something, it's because that desire originated in the soul of the universe. It's your mission on earth."

Offline roban

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 36
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: kzn pmb
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 07:55:54 PM »
Nice, I like, bad luck, but well done, your eagerness is contagious

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 12:14:04 PM »
    Are you guys talking of the gap between Zona Braza and  Paradise View? Or is it a secret?  :hehe:
 

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 12:30:52 PM »
    Are you guys talking of the gap between Zona Braza and  Paradise View? Or is it a secret?  :hehe:


Can't remember where Paradise View was specifically but it's about a km south from Zona B. There is a gap there so ja, it could well be. The blokes at Zona called it GT rocks.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
It is the same place. I once saw a eagle ray jumping clear out of the water on the inside of the reef. It is an awesome place.

Offline Cage

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 317
  • Cred: 64
  • Gender: Male
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: 25lb tackle out-gunned!
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 03:07:28 PM »
yup, at high GT rocks and at low the gap just to the left.... :gt: almost exactly a km south of ZB

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal