Author Topic: White metal spoons  (Read 19505 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 11:40:20 AM »
:hnthnt: Two nice spoons.....jip tin is the best .....clear glass bottle and then toilet paper ...the toilet paper gives it that mirroe finish...On those two spoons I would put a short shank 7/0 live bait hook on and take the swivel off...... :clfoto:
One thing I noticed with that S-bend spoon in my photo is that the braid start to twist on itself. I cannot understand this, because I use a swivel, so even if the spoon rotates in the water it should not transmit this through to the casting braid?? As soon as I switch to a surface plug, couta casting spoon or stickbait the twisting gradually disappears. Any idea what is causing this?

even with a swivel, under a bit of pressure from the retrieve, your line will still twist. If the spoon is spinning, youre winging too fast.

for shine - back of a knfe. EOS. All else is wasting fishing time. :hehe:
 

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 02:10:18 PM »
 :hnthnt: ...Retrieve speed will not make a spoon "spin".....its the shape of the spoon that makes to spin...you want a spoon to wobble...wiggle side to side...NOT SPIN.....coffee grinders impart a different action on a spoon than a multiplier.....try it in a pool and you will see for yourself....a swivel makes a spoon swim into itself......or rather rotate in its own wash/wake.....you want a spoon to push water...not spin and create a vortex behind it...bait fish swim with a sideways motion even at speed...they dont spin.....BUT....on a boat Im not sure of the dynamics there...Im speaking from casting from the shore...with a grinder , still dont use a swivel BUT...use the rapala knot straight onto the split ring....
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »
hi guys, I bought these from a pawn shop, dull and dirty and all the rings and hooks were rusted thru, so I polished them up a bit,and gave it some bling.What do u think? Im hoping to try them out this weekend.
w;k ...In this pic ...the top four spoons...the hook must be on the other side.....the last one at the bottom is correct.... :tite
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Moyeni

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 25
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Morningside, Durban
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 10:01:15 PM »
I have been using the back of my "tot glass' for years to shine my tin spoons.

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 06:33:45 AM »
A piece of 12mm stainless steel round bar works just as well to shine the tin spoons and wont break in your bag.
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 08:53:09 AM »
I have been using the back of my "tot glass' for years to shine my tin spoons.
:corrct: :corrct: MOOI spoon!!
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline demon

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 65
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: cape town
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2014, 09:32:21 PM »
Kent, I've always debate the swivel thing?? but I like the rapala knot idea. I use that knot on dropshot, as for shining the good old coke bottle neck..

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 06:58:15 AM »
:hnthnt: Two nice spoons.....jip tin is the best .....clear glass bottle and then toilet paper ...the toilet paper gives it that mirroe finish...On those two spoons I would put a short shank 7/0 live bait hook on and take the swivel off...... :clfoto:
One thing I noticed with that S-bend spoon in my photo is that the braid start to twist on itself. I cannot understand this, because I use a swivel, so even if the spoon rotates in the water it should not transmit this through to the casting braid?? As soon as I switch to a surface plug, couta casting spoon or stickbait the twisting gradually disappears. Any idea what is causing this?

Excerpt from the Line twist article.... http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=3596.0

Swivels
 
Some anglers swear by swivels, maintaining that it helps prevent line twist -  the swivel twists rather than the line.
This is all good and well, however one needs to be very careful with the quality of the swivel and the size.
The lighter line braids will not put enough torque onto an oversized swivel and therefore it will not turn, resulting in the line twisting, not the swivel..

Rule of thumb is that the swivel wire should be a similar thickness to your braid diameter... ie: small!
Same rule applies to mono/fluoro leaders. The Swivel wire thickness should always be the same as the line being attached for the swivel to work effectively.

Because   the swivels that will work properly with light braid are therefore very   small, they need to be high quality to prevent breakage under strain.
 
Barrel swivels in this instance are not good enough. One needs to invest in good quality power swivels.

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
Kent, I've always debate the swivel thing?? but I like the rapala knot idea. I use that knot on dropshot, as for shining the good old coke bottle neck..
:rck" ..Jip..Bud...if you useing a coffe to gooi with use the rapala knot...my boet uses a coffe to gooi spoon and uses the rapala knot instead of a kwik clip and no swivel...spoon swims straight and true with the correct wobble...
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 02:28:32 PM »
Well guys, I am going to give the Rapala knot a good try instead of using a power swivel on that s-bend spoon. I will connect the Rapala knot's loop directly onto the split ring at the back-end of the spoon. In fact I will try this connection with all my other lures as well, like plugs and stick baits! I have a split ring on all my lures, so it will simply be a matter of connecting the Rapala knot's loop (at the front of my fluorocarbon leader) to the split ring when I switch between lures. Thank you for the advice!

Offline demon

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 65
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: cape town
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2014, 12:01:46 AM »
go rapala knot.....

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2014, 07:03:36 AM »
Well guys, I am going to give the Rapala knot a good try instead of using a power swivel on that s-bend spoon. I will connect the Rapala knot's loop directly onto the split ring at the back-end of the spoon. In fact I will try this connection with all my other lures as well, like plugs and stick baits! I have a split ring on all my lures, so it will simply be a matter of connecting the Rapala knot's loop (at the front of my fluorocarbon leader) to the split ring when I switch between lures. Thank you for the advice!

Steenie, the Rapala knot is the way to go for lures, but NOT onto a Split ring! That's a disaster waiting to happen. Rapala knot tie directly to the lure. Or a Fig 8 onto one of those quick release attachment clips.


Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 08:42:09 AM »

Steenie, the Rapala knot is the way to go for lures, but NOT onto a Split ring! That's a disaster waiting to happen. Rapala knot tie directly to the lure. Or a Fig 8 onto one of those quick release attachment clips.

I made the rapala knot yesterday and although the knot is easy and strong I do not feel comfortable with it directly on the splitring. I by far prefer the swivel - splitring configuration that I am used to and which is used by guys like Barry Wareham as well. It is only this one spoon that causes this annoying braid twisting. And I am not going to change to a new configuration just for the sake of one spoon.

Offline j.s.smith

  • Johny Peters
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 90
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • For the love of fishing.
  • Location: Middelburg Mp
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2014, 02:32:41 PM »
In my opinion the rapala knot is very weak so you have to use a thicker leader to obtain some strength in the knot. I am also not going to be told that the rapala knot gives better action to the lure than a 35lb Boones quick snap. Very tiny and no friction on the lures towing eye as opposed to the rapala not pulling tight with its 2 strands of mono. With the right quick snap you can use a much better knot and thinner leader. My 2c.
Early birds catches the most worms. Early worms catches the most fish.

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »
 :hnthnt: ...Just to be clear...I dont use the rapala knot...I was saying it will give a better action to a spoon than a kwik clip when useing a coffee grinder.....see pic attached......my set up...You dont believe me...go test a spoon in a pool with a multiplier and then a coffee.....se ma net...BUT...whatever works for you...then gooi it....
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2014, 03:29:10 PM »
:hnthnt: ...Just to be clear...I dont use the rapala knot...I was saying it will give a better action to a spoon than a kwik clip when useing a coffee grinder.....see pic attached......my set up...You dont believe me...go test a spoon in a pool with a multiplier and then a coffee.....se ma net...BUT...whatever works for you...then gooi it....

Where do you buy that particular brand of kwik clip Kent and what size do you use?

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2014, 03:32:32 PM »
:hnthnt: ...Just to be clear...I dont use the rapala knot...I was saying it will give a better action to a spoon than a kwik clip when useing a coffee grinder.....see pic attached......my set up...You dont believe me...go test a spoon in a pool with a multiplier and then a coffee.....se ma net...BUT...whatever works for you...then gooi it....

Where do you buy that particular brand of kwik clip Kent and what size do you use?
w;k ...i use the 1.4mm one....a local PE gent makes them Doug Swannel....my local tackle store gets them in for me.....its rated to 60lbs...Alcocks in PE should have them....
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2014, 04:17:22 PM »
:hnthnt: ...Just to be clear...I dont use the rapala knot...I was saying it will give a better action to a spoon than a kwik clip when useing a coffee grinder.....see pic attached......my set up...You dont believe me...go test a spoon in a pool with a multiplier and then a coffee.....se ma net...BUT...whatever works for you...then gooi it....

Where do you buy that particular brand of kwik clip Kent and what size do you use?
w;k ...i use the 1.4mm one....a local PE gent makes them Doug Swannel....my local tackle store gets them in for me.....its rated to 60lbs...Alcocks in PE should have them....

Thanks Kent. I am sure that is the clip Tommo mentioned to me that he also uses. I think I must arrange for a pack to be send up to me in Durban. As with everything there are two camps - some like these clips others don't. I think it is time that I try them out and make my own opinion on them.

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2014, 06:54:08 PM »
:hnthnt: ...Just to be clear...I dont use the rapala knot...I was saying it will give a better action to a spoon than a kwik clip when useing a coffee grinder.....see pic attached......my set up...You dont believe me...go test a spoon in a pool with a multiplier and then a coffee.....se ma net...BUT...whatever works for you...then gooi it....

Where do you buy that particular brand of kwik clip Kent and what size do you use?
w;k ...i use the 1.4mm one....a local PE gent makes them Doug Swannel....my local tackle store gets them in for me.....its rated to 60lbs...Alcocks in PE should have them....

Thanks Kent. I am sure that is the clip Tommo mentioned to me that he also uses. I think I must arrange for a pack to be send up to me in Durban. As with everything there are two camps - some like these clips others don't. I think it is time that I try them out and make my own opinion on them.
:win: .....give it a go....they havent let me down in nine years
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: White metal spoons
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2014, 11:22:26 PM »
Yes you correct, those are the Doug Swannel lure clips. I think its a excellent lure clip,You cant go wrong. I bought a

couple at the Alcocks store the last time I was in PE. Lando showed me how they use it.They tie the clip direct to their

leader and attached a small power swivel between the leader and the braid. Im in PE again for 2 weeks,think I must buy

some more.[size=78%]    [/size]

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal