Author Topic: Getting spooled  (Read 5339 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Getting spooled
« on: October 05, 2014, 06:36:15 PM »
Wow...


Hang on and enjoy the ride... :shk

Getting spooled by big Yellowfin land-based!

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 07:00:14 PM »
See at the end, his drag was so loose that he could pull it with one hand. Surely towards the end he should have tried harder to turn the fish?
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 07:02:44 PM »
I guess with 700 m of 100lb whiplash in the water it did not matter how tight the drag was he is not gonna stop that fish.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 07:07:07 PM »
WOW .


Wonder whats your tactics , landing Gamefish from the Shore on that tackle ...




he should have pulled him every chance he had ...
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 07:46:26 PM »
See at the end, his drag was so loose that he could pull it with one hand. Surely towards the end he should have tried harder to turn the fish?
The more line you have out the more you need to reduce your drag, your original drag setting would have increased by almost 40% with 500 mtrs of line out.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 08:03:36 PM »
See at the end, his drag was so loose that he could pull it with one hand. Surely towards the end he should have tried harder to turn the fish?
The more line you have out the more you need to reduce your drag, your original drag setting would have increased by almost 40% with 500 mtrs of line out.

 :corrct: as explained here http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=5889.0
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Harvard 16

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 101
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kuala Lumpur, ex KZN
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 06:58:30 AM »
It's a very interesting vid from the point of view of thinking, 'what would I do in that situation?'. I can't help thinking that at some point this guy must have realized it was a lost cause.


I would think if I was fishing remotely with little back up spare spools I would probably cut it off so I could carry on fishing, but otherwise probably do the same, I see from Youtube, most of his stuff was sponsored, I do feel sorry for the oke that sponsored his fast disappearing  line.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 07:26:15 AM »
He probably got a bunch of the braid back at the end it looked like leader parted just before he got spooled. Might be wrong...


But just think about it.


If he stopped the fish at 500-600m out. It will be hard work just to get the fish back to the bricks.


Also imagine popping with a Stella 30k for a morning. Thats gonna be a killer workout as well... :hehe:

Offline CASTSA

  • Wesley Peens
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 374
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • IT"S ALL ABOUT THE FISHING LIFE!!
  • Location: KZN - South Africa
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 07:31:37 AM »
That looks like Ascension Island........a friend of mine runs the operation there, this happens often.

Although I do believe the guy in the video could have pulled a lot harder with 100lbs...that rod should have been bent straight..

LOOOOOOOKS LIKE AN ASS WHIPPING TO ME!!!!

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 07:34:26 AM »
That looks like Ascension Island........a friend of mine runs the operation there, this happens often.

Although I do believe the guy in the video could have pulled a lot harder with 100lbs...that rod should have been bent straight..

LOOOOOOOKS LIKE AN ASS WHIPPING TO ME!!!!


Ascension Island is on the bucket list ...


Think this however might have been somewhere on thr southern side of Auss...


The regularly target the big boys from the rocks...

Offline CASTSA

  • Wesley Peens
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 374
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • IT"S ALL ABOUT THE FISHING LIFE!!
  • Location: KZN - South Africa
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 08:07:24 AM »
Oh nice, yes ascension is wild, and some of those YFT have no respect for any tackle...but they are beasts!!

One place you would probably get a marlin from the side

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 09:00:17 AM »
That looks like Ascension Island........a friend of mine runs the operation there, this happens often.

Although I do believe the guy in the video could have pulled a lot harder with 100lbs...that rod should have been bent straight..

LOOOOOOOKS LIKE AN ASS WHIPPING TO ME!!!!


Ascension Island is on the bucket list ...


Think this however might have been somewhere on thr southern side of Auss...


The regularly target the big boys from the rocks...
:corrct: Pyramid Point on Ascension Island.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 09:53:19 AM »
That looks like Ascension Island........a friend of mine runs the operation there, this happens often.

Although I do believe the guy in the video could have pulled a lot harder with 100lbs...that rod should have been bent straight..

LOOOOOOOKS LIKE AN ASS WHIPPING TO ME!!!!


Ascension Island is on the bucket list ...


Think this however might have been somewhere on thr southern side of Auss...


The regularly target the big boys from the rocks...
:corrct: Pyramid Point on Ascension Island.


You should know  w;k


I watched a mate of mine get spooled and subsequently, on a few occasions, I've risked a spooling myself. Each time, when it looks like game over, I've palmed my spool and forced a break off at the leader joint rather than losing my braid when it hit's the spool knot. I can strongly recommend this approach. Wear gloves!
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 05:06:53 AM »
Confirmed...


He and his wife is fishing the Island.

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 09:58:26 AM »
Don't know if this is your mate Gerhard but Craig posted it yesterday -
 
"Well done Grant Woodgate on his 180lbs yellowfin of the rocks!!! Grant hung in there alone for 6 hours and 45 minutes are Airane drop off before landing the biggest tuna ever caught of the shore on Ascension on popper. Grant had to get his fish out the water while sharks and moray eels were attacking it, what an achievement! Congratulations again"
 
Sorry no pics.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 10:04:41 AM »
 :shk  EPIC!
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 10:25:57 AM »
 :trout:
Don't know if this is your mate Gerhard but Craig posted it yesterday -
 
"Well done Grant Woodgate on his 180lbs yellowfin of the rocks!!! Grant hung in there alone for 6 hours and 45 minutes are Airane drop off before landing the biggest tuna ever caught of the shore on Ascension on popper. Grant had to get his fish out the water while sharks and moray eels were attacking it, what an achievement! Congratulations again"
 
Sorry no pics.

I have seen the same report on FB yesterday...

Thats a marathon fight

Offline KING-GT

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 126
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 01:48:41 PM »
Amazing footage! That fish gave him stick!

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 04:56:08 PM »
He got even



212lbs from the bricks... :shk
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 04:58:02 PM by Gerhard »

Offline KING-GT

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 126
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Getting spooled
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 09:16:37 AM »
WOW!!! Respect!!! Quality fish!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal