Author Topic: GT Icecream "Skinny" Needlenose Plug  (Read 3279 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
GT Icecream "Skinny" Needlenose Plug
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:00:29 PM »
I got myself one of the skinny needlenose GT icecream plugs a while back. Tried it once in sort of calm conditions but was not really impressed because I could hardly see the lure on the water during the retrieve.

This morning conditions were super glassy and the sea like a lake and I gave the skinny a good go. Did not catch anything, but did this plug impress me! This must surely be one of the fastest true surface lures out there and it sticks to the water like a magnet to metal. I retrieved it with my Stradic reel as fast as possible and yet this plug does not tumble and gives a sleek quiet wake even at super high speed. And you simply cast the 1.5 oz plug a mile on a 11 ft Assassin Amia rod. It is surely a plug like no other I have fished before.

This lure must drive any fast game fish wild when conditions are right. It will not leave my lure bag ahain and will be reserved for those rare days when the sea is really flat and one requires a plug with not a lot of noise on water surface.

I don't know how many of you tried a skinny before, but you should give it a go!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: GT Icecream "Skinny" Needlenose Plug
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 06:18:46 AM »
One of my go to Lures! Great for using in gin conditions.
Use the ordinary GT Ice cream Chisel nose in rougher conditions to make more noise in the water.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: GT Icecream "Skinny" Needlenose Plug
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:39:18 AM »
Used it again this morning in super glassy conditions at Umdloti. There were shoals of small bait fish within casting range and I worked the skinny around these shoals. No game fish. Changed to a chase bullet spoon and then to a green couta casting spoon. No game fish. They will come! First bait fish shoals I have seen there in ages this morning, which is a great sign.

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: GT Icecream "Skinny" Needlenose Plug
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 08:47:14 AM »
They have an incredible action, and throw impressively.
One must have one of these for calm conditions...

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: GT Icecream "Skinny" Needlenose Plug
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 08:54:43 PM »
Used it again this morning in super glassy conditions at Umdloti. There were shoals of small bait fish within casting range and I worked the skinny around these shoals. No game fish. Changed to a chase bullet spoon and then to a green couta casting spoon. No game fish. They will come! First bait fish shoals I have seen there in ages this morning, which is a great sign.

You're doing the right thing...they WILL come...
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal