Author Topic: What to target in Winter  (Read 6218 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline bubbleboy

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 66
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
What to target in Winter
« on: July 01, 2014, 01:04:09 PM »
Hi all




I know that the answer will be Kob - but is there anything else?


In PE - I do not know the Sundays side - therefore I have never had the opportunity to fish there.


All suggestions and invites welcome  :blush:

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: What to target in Winter
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 01:29:34 PM »
The estuaries in the EC will be full up with juvenile Garrick under a kg, lots of fun... And the Daga Salmon come into the estuaries this time of year, 20kg+ fish...

Otherwise lots of Blacktail around (Camo Worm) and the Blue Shad normally come in schools of 5-6 fish from late afternoon into the dark in the surf.

There are lots of smaller species you can get on small plastics and small lures in gullies and further up the rivers, where the water is warmer, there are even Kingies further up some systems in the warmer water.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: What to target in Winter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 02:02:55 PM »
Check post number 27 on the thread below. The White Steenbras that Tarpon posted was caught at Cape St Francis two days ago. I am sure there must be some around in your area as well. The guys are still getting Leeries around here and I am sure the Grunters will bite.

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=5158.new;topicseen#new

Offline bubbleboy

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 66
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: What to target in Winter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »
Thanks - The only problem is that I currently do not have an outfit for the river - Only surf.


I have caught more than enough of the juvenile Garrick - So I was hoping to hit the bigger sizes in the surf area.   :fshn:

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: What to target in Winter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 02:21:37 PM »
Thanks - The only problem is that I currently do not have an outfit for the river - Only surf.


I have caught more than enough of the juvenile Garrick - So I was hoping to hit the bigger sizes in the surf area.   :fshn:
Did you read my post?

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: What to target in Winter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 02:25:57 PM »
Wont be too many big Garrick around this time of year, most of them move up to KZN to spawn.

You should focus on Kob this time of year, there are only 1-2 months of the year when the big Daga Salmon come close inshore in the Eastern Cape. Also there are a few deepwater spots around PE where you can get Geelbeck and Yellowtail off the bricks.

You should look at getting a lighter setup for the rivers, tons of potential in every river between PE and EL. Also when Summer comes the larger Garrick enter the estuaries, the Skipjack, Barracuda, Kingies and other species enter the estuaries...

Offline bubbleboy

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 66
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: What to target in Winter
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 03:02:51 PM »
"Also there are a few deepwater spots around PE where you can get Geelbeck and Yellowtail off the bricks"

Any idea where Walker??

@ SAFish - did read sir, I am just responding for the light tackle that I don't have - I saw what you said about the 20kg+ Speciments

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: What to target in Winter
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 03:10:47 PM »
If I could find the exact locations I would tell you, no one has shared the exact spots with me as yet, and I have tried some spots to no avail  sry

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: What to target in Winter
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 03:15:28 PM »
Theres a few spots between Kasouga and Kariega that have a couple of deepwater spots and they used to get Yellowtail in the 80's, but I dont think thats very productive anymore, but worth a try. Riet River has some lekker deep water spots that I have not tried.

Offline bubbleboy

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 66
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: What to target in Winter
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 03:15:58 PM »
At least an area then...... anything?   :cry:

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: What to target in Winter
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 03:24:52 PM »
Riet, High Rocks (Kasouga) on the only immediate areas that I know about.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: What to target in Winter
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 03:49:40 PM »
"Also there are a few deepwater spots around PE where you can get Geelbeck and Yellowtail off the bricks"

Any idea where Walker??

@ SAFish - did read sir, I am just responding for the light tackle that I don't have - I saw what you said about the 20kg+ Speciments
OK, no problem. Steenbras are excellent fighters and you have all the right bait available to target them.  :tite

Offline pieta

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 673
  • Cred: 21
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing for the fun of it
  • Location: Bethlehem
Re: What to target in Winter
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 06:37:59 AM »
If you want deep water st Francis point is the place to go. The rocks to the right of the light house at cape st  francis also deep water. For steenies you can walk the surf and look for a bank with nice working water. Best fishing for Sundays are in an easterly wind. Let it work the water for a dag or two. The bigg cobs are all over you just need to be on the right place at the right time. We normely get them aroung August.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 06:40:02 AM by pieta »

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal