Author Topic: Southport (port Shepstone)  (Read 2821 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Robbie07

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Potchefstroom NW
Southport (port Shepstone)
« on: June 11, 2014, 02:37:40 PM »
Afternoon to all the guys.I am going with the family to southport (port Shepstone area) from the 28th of june to the 12th of July 2014.Being winter I would like to know what species I can target on drop shot and other lures? What is the best place to fish off?I have added a photo of the lures and leadheads I already have and would just like an opinion on what I can add to the collection? Maybe a few extra colours? I don't have much yet...- GT Ice cream White- Iron candy spoons (i think)- Spinners coming out of my collection of unused fishing equipment.- Bucktailjigs (Red&white, Pink&white, Green, White&yellow)- Onda onda- White red Strike pro- 5" McArthy Jerk Minnow (Olive/pearl, Chartreuse/pearl, Baby elf)I also have steel trace of 40lb in case of shad runs.The gear I will be using is an 8 foot Shimano Vengance, Daiwa Reagal with 20lb Rovex braid. What leader should I look at? Thinking a 30 - 40lb fluro leader... Then the last thing I want to know is the safety issue and crime? We will be within walking distance of the beach and should I find myself in the fight of my life with a 80kg kob and end up releasing it at 10 in the evening, would it be safe to walk home? Should I be carrying a firearm when fishing there and the immediate area?Thanks for all the help and after all the research I have done on the block, sadspit and sharks rock, I am feeling pretty confident and can't wait for the holiday to arrive.Maybe even meet up with some local guys who can teach me a few tricks?Thanks for the forum and I have learned a lot since I have been a member, short as it is
May your rod bend and your line never break

Offline Kegan

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 63
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: seychells,joburg ,sea park, kzn
Re: Southport (port Shepstone)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 05:17:42 PM »
Hi Robbie,

This can be a difficult area to fish if you don't know it well, between seapark and Umzumbe there are plenty little bays and gullys that you can work, id suggest you start off at umzumbe, the point is called stebel, this is a large point with a couple of deeper holes and gullys to the left which often hold your usual shad, if you throw a dropshot into the holes you could pick up a kob aswell, from the front left hand point we have caught many blacktip kingies during this time on drop shot and ondas, work the front of the point early mornings with a gt ice cream, the Garrick will also be around, this is a deep water point where many gamefish are caught, ive seen cuta and yellowfin caught there, and ive managed to catch a few bonnies off there myself, so expect anything!speak to the locals about other areas to fish, as with any place in our country id rather not fish alone in the dark..

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Southport (port Shepstone)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 05:54:50 PM »
Hi Robbie, :welc: ,unfortunately I can't help with spots to fish at in that area as I've never fished there,but might be able to help a bit with tackle.. :dunno: it sounds like you'll be fishing in the ocean mostly..?If so I would've recomended a 10-11"rod to get some more distance on the cast,that being said,sometimes we tend to cast right over the feeding fish... :cnfzd .You've got a decent collection of lures there,but can one ever have enough... :craz: those ondas and strike pro's are very light as you know,and will be difficult to get the required distance out of them in the ocean(especially on windy days)I'd suggest you get some weighted trebles to put on them if casting is difficult.I 'll get some chislenose plugs too,to go with the needle-nose you've got.I'd get jigheads of 1-2ounce,with hooksizes of about 3/0-5/0,and maby some paddletails to go along with the jerk minnows.Spoon colours that work for kob are silver,copper & silver(two-tone) and plain copper worked very slowly(bouncing on the bottom).The bucktails work well for kob and leeries,just slow down(kob) or speed up(leeries)your retrieve...those spinners I've never used,but who knows,maby they'll work... :dunno: .Lastly,I'd suggest you get some quick-change clips,you don't want to tie new knots all day.Make sure that you have decent split-rings and hooks on your lures,you don't want to lose your P.B fish from tackle failure... <: :hehe: .A 80-100cm fluoro leader of between 15-20kg's will be fine,I prefer having my braid/fluoro knot(7 turn uni to double fig.8)outside my top guide,I get way less wind knots this way,lures are more expensive when you lose them... swr I haven't lost any lures since changing to leader outside top guide... :happ:


As for safety,if fishing alone at night it's probably a good idea to have a weapon,nowhere safe to fish these days,otherwise it's only safe 'till something happens to someone.. (bat I like that you are prepared to put a trophy fish back unharmed,take a picture and release rather... :Like: nothing wrong with taking 5-7kg kob for the fire...
that's about it from me,remember to give a report please and have a safe and enjoyable trip... :clwn


Always be humble...

Offline Robbie07

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Potchefstroom NW
Re: Southport (port Shepstone)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 06:23:11 PM »
Thanks for the advise and the help.  I will definitely post a report (please keep in mind that I am a rookie salt water angler). haha


I agree that one can never have enough lures, but as I only go to the coast about once a year, I keep the salt water stuff to a minimum, but to prove that i agree with that statement, I would have to show my bass collection...


Some call fishing a passion, I call it my problem :dunno:  haha.


Thanks for the advise and tips (clap) :resp: [size=78%], I will post photo's of success and hopefully a large inedible or two.[/size]
May your rod bend and your line never break

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Southport (port Shepstone)
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 06:24:55 PM »
Awesome replies here chaps !

Robbie, Im off to that area this weekend, will get some local info for you...

I know most of the areas... just dont know what they called ! lol

Offline Robbie07

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Potchefstroom NW
Re: Southport (port Shepstone)
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 06:31:23 PM »
I am on a number of fishing and hunting forums and this fast becoming one of my favorites.


Thank you Homie(hope you got done with the smoking, if this is the same Homie who gave it up a few months ago) , you guys are a great help for me. 

A blessed weekend to you.
May your rod bend and your line never break

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Southport (port Shepstone)
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 06:42:54 PM »
Yup... 4 months without a smoke already bro !

Thanks, and same to you bro !

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal