Author Topic: Assassin Amia  (Read 12913 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jaybennie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 68
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Margate, Kwazulu Natal
Assassin Amia
« on: April 18, 2014, 01:31:46 PM »
Hi guys, looking at getting the Amia to pair with my 5000 stradic. Will be spinning with 2oz spoons and plugs, mainly on the KZN south coast, and Traskei. I have read about how well it casts, but what about the pulling power? What quality are the guides? And which model would you suggest? Thanks in advance, and tight lines.
Regards
John

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 03:37:41 PM »
It's my favourite rod. I also have a 10'6' Daiwa Exceler Elite which was my preferred shore spinning rod before I bought the Amia, which is a bit more medium action than fast action, and it has great backbone. It loads nicely, therefore throws nicely, and beats the Exceler in all round performance, including pulling power.

A Shimano 5000 size reel is the perfect accompaniment for the rod. It comes with Fuji guides which are great quality, and you can choose to have normal or microwave guides. If you're throwing braid then the microwave guides are great and aid in lengthening your cast a bit. Do not use the microwave guide version with Berkeley Nanofil as it tends to chew this line up due to the way the line flattens and twists. I had to switch from Nanofil, which I always used before, to an 8 weave Gosen Braid and have had no issues since.

The 11' Heavy (2HMGS) is rated for 21-45g lures and 15-30lb braid.

The 11' 2xHeavy (2XH) is rated for 25-50g lures and the same braid.

The 11' 2xHeavy (2XHKS) is rated for 28-70g lures and 15-35lb braid.

I got the Heavy as very rarely do I throw any spoon above 45g. And if I do, it certainly doesn't feel like its a problem. I don't like to go too hardcore in the surf, or it's no fun.

It's great quality for peanuts compared to other rods that perform similarly.

I haven't used mine since February, as I have been boating since then, and I truly miss casting that rod! In fact, if it wasn't so breezy this pm I would go down for a throw....
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline BAUMANNATOR

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 115
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: PMB
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 05:09:25 PM »
I second jball7204 on the Amia. I prefer it to my Berlkley Air , throws better. It really is an excellent investment and throws like a dream. I had an Aerocast 11' which I swapped for the Amia, I personally found it threw further. I have the kob special and it has ample pulling power.

Offline Jaybennie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 68
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Margate, Kwazulu Natal
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 06:44:23 PM »
Wow, thanks guys, exactly the kind of advice I was looking for! Jball, that was pretty in depth and most helpful, thank you for taking the time to reply. Looks like the HEAVY 21 - 45g it will be, will try pick it up tomorrow.  I love getting new toys!

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 11:22:38 AM »
Hi

I agree fully - it is a brilliant casting rod. I have the AA11-2XH (28 - 70g casting weight) one and it throws from the 30 g CID slimbaits upwards really nicely. If you want to use 2 oz spoons I can recommend the model I use.
 

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 02:35:57 PM »
No worries, let us know how it goes  :shd: :grk: :gt:
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 07:00:38 PM »
Did you get your Amia???
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline Jaybennie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 68
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Margate, Kwazulu Natal
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 07:36:35 PM »
Guys, picked up the Amia heavy on Saturday. Spent about 3 hrs throwing no 2 iron candy spoons that afternoon. Really enjoyed the feel of the rod. I'm used to a stiffer rod, and this really seems to load a lot better, and cast further with less effort. The rod is light weight, and after my session I still felt good, not really fatigued at all. I blanked, so can't really comment on pulling power. I am really impressed with this rod. Quite a looker too, and fast becoming my favourite. (Just need to catch some fish now). :win:

Offline jball7204

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 274
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban North, KZN
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 06:04:45 AM »
Nice one!
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 09:37:29 AM »
did you get one with microwave guides?

I love mine. too much.


Offline Jaybennie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 68
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Margate, Kwazulu Natal
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 09:49:09 AM »
 No Chris, my tackle store only had the regular guides. Havenot seen the Microwave guides in the flesh as yet! Very happy though!

Offline Debbie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 540
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Durban
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 10:05:37 AM »
Guys, picked up the Amia heavy on Saturday. Spent about 3 hrs throwing no 2 iron candy spoons that afternoon. Really enjoyed the feel of the rod. I'm used to a stiffer rod, and this really seems to load a lot better, and cast further with less effort. The rod is light weight, and after my session I still felt good, not really fatigued at all. I blanked, so can't really comment on pulling power. I am really impressed with this rod. Quite a looker too, and fast becoming my favourite. (Just need to catch some fish now). :win:

Congrats on your new baby, hope she brings you many hours of joy

Offline Skaap Tjop

  • Superbru Hasbeen
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 179
  • Cred: 56
  • Gender: Male
  • It's not what you catch that brings you back.
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 10:13:40 AM »
Congrats, what did you pay if I may ask?
"He prayeth well, who loveth well /Both man and bird and beast."

Offline Jaybennie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 68
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Margate, Kwazulu Natal
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 10:34:31 AM »
Thanks Debbie! Skaap Tjop, I paid R1 250.00 from Lucky's in Manaba. Paul did give me a good discount though! I think the rods were priced at R1 550.00 if I'm not mistaken! He always looks after me, I've been shopping there for over 20 yrs!

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 01:28:46 PM »
the microwave guides make that stik look even better.

but you have a lovely weapon there. enjoy

Offline bubbleboy

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 66
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 10:06:54 AM »
 :happ:


Like the look of this rod.  Any idea where I can buy it online?  I noticed at Alcocks (if I looked at the correct Assassin) they were R1900.00 - but please don't quote me on that price.


The only question is.....  the Cob 1 or the Garrick 1 ?  as these are the 2 species that I like to target.


I am leaning towards the cob 1, as I have a 9'2 for the Leerie that throws a 1.5oz plug beautifully.

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 10:17:26 AM »
:happ:


Like the look of this rod.  Any idea where I can buy it online?  I noticed at Alcocks (if I looked at the correct Assassin) they were R1900.00 - but please don't quote me on that price.


The only question is.....  the Cob 1 or the Garrick 1 ?  as these are the 2 species that I like to target.


I am leaning towards the cob 1, as I have a 9'2 for the Leerie that throws a 1.5oz plug beautifully.

http://www.basilmanning.co.za/rods/brands/assassin/assassin-amia.html

Offline DionB

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 12
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bluff, Durban, KZN
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 10:22:31 AM »
Hi Guys
Just read the latest newsletter from Basil Manning stating that they are launching the new Assassin Sierra spinning rods. They say they are much stronger and lighter than any other spinning rod. Does anyone have more info on these rods? I was about go purchase the assassin amia xh but will rather wait to find out more on the sierras.
DionB

Offline kls

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 29
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban. kwa zulu natal
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 03:15:12 PM »
Hi Deonb


The new Assassin Sierra is a very special rod made up of 3 types of high modulus carbon with a nano core. making it very thin, super light weight rod. the rod weighs 275 grams and comes in a tube. ideal casting weight is 1oz-2oz.




Offline Werries

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 675
  • Cred: 84
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Assassin Amia
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 03:45:59 PM »
Price?
Only dead fish go with the flow...

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal