Author Topic: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed  (Read 13862 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline lvtubbergh

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 30
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark, Gauteng
First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« on: March 15, 2014, 11:09:36 AM »
Hi Guys,


I received a few spoons and poppers as a gift last year and seeing that I am heading to the Transkei on Thursday I would like to use them. The challenge is that even though i enjoy rock and surf fishing I have never used lures before and i need to ask you guys for advice. I only have two questions, the rest of the information was easily found on UltimateAngling.co.za


1. I want to replace the treble hooks with normal single hooks. What size and type of hook should I use? I have added a photo so that you can see the size of these lures.


2. My second questions is the one that I really struggle with. How do I attach them to my line? Should I use a trace or do I connect them directly to the line? Should I use a leader of some sorts? There is so much info out there and my poor head got a little lost in all the different things mentioned...


While I am here I might as well go for a third question...will these things work?


Thanks!

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 11:59:07 AM »
First of all :welc: ,I used Mustad hooks on mine,look for a hook with a short shank,the size on the middle 2 I'd say a 4/0,the blue popper on the left can take two 3/0 short shanks too,just make sure that the trailing hook sits upright(point pointing up)by adding one more split-ring if needed.Please make sure you use decent splitrings...see: http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=7491.msg109943#msg109943
Q 2:I attach mine to my lure with a good quality powerswivel to prevent line twist using splitring-pliers,you could also use quick change clips,but I find when I tried clips it took me longer to change spoons than just using my splitring-swivel method...I use a leader of about 1m of fluorocarbon which is then attached to my braid mainline using a 7 turn uni to fig. of 8...see: http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=73.msg136#msg136...the leader knot should be outside of your tip eye,because that should,if using braid mainline,reduce wind-knots considerably...I've actually had no wind-knots since doing this... :hnthnt:
Q 3:You can expect to catch anything from shad/elf,kob,Leeries to even  :cout: :gt: :yft:  if you're really lucky,if they're around,especially from rocky deepwater spots... :hnthnt:
I would try to add 1/2 1,5-2 ounce needlenose or chiselnose plugs and some bucktails and perhaps some paddletails with jigheads to that,but that's just a suggestion...the plugs are mainly for :grk: :hnthnt:
what setup are you using,rod,reel,braid or no braid... :dunno:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:56:48 PM by Lofty »
Always be humble...

Offline kevf

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 677
  • Cred: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: underberg,kzn
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 05:10:16 PM »
 :welc: whereabouts you heading to
its cruiser country

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:51:51 AM »
:welc: whereabouts you heading to




TK Kev
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:01:39 AM »
 :welc:

& Lofty is spot on, great info there!

Offline lvtubbergh

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 30
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark, Gauteng
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 09:05:53 AM »
Thanks for the welcome messages everyone!

Hi Lofty,
Thanks for the valuable information you provided.
The list of species you have for question 3 have me drooling at my  desk! There goes productivity for the last few days before heading for the  coast!As for my setup... I have a very nice, light 10" rod that I think  will do the job. I have another 10" but that thing is stiff and heavy and  it just sounds tiring retrieving lures for an hour with that.I don't think my reels are appropriate for this function either. The  one that I do have that might be worth trying seems to have died and not even  my local fishing shop could revive it :cry:  .  The good thing about that is that I get to go reel shopping during this week.Any advice on that would also be appreciated. I have been checking  older posts regarding reels but they all seem to be very expensive.

Kevf,I will be at the river mouth, just a bit north of Coffee Bay. We  were there about a year ago as well but couldn't really fish due to really bad weather.  Hoping for better results this year!
 Now to convince the wife that everything on the new shopping list is a necessity...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:06:27 PM by lvtubbergh »

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 11:22:46 AM »
use Decoys on the popper:

this halco is a bit bigger than the one you have, and I have 4-0 decoys on it.

you must also throw 7in paddletails for kob.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:23:20 AM by chrisquinton »

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 12:51:31 PM »
Hi Ivtubbergh,no problem,we all learn something new every day w;k ...This obviously depends on your budget,but a reel that I also have,and that I'm really happy with is the Penn Fierce 4000,I notice that B.Manning don't have the 4K... :dunno: but the 5K will be fine too on your 10" rod...price:R 760,for spinning you need a reel with a retrieve rate of around 5,8-6,2/1,another nice reel is the Shimano Stradic 5000FJ...price R1800-R2k... :hnthnt: There are so many reels on the market to choose from,so shop around and read up on them on the net...it also depends how often anually you'll be using this reel...if not often then the Fierce is decent value for money...see here: http://www.basilmanning.co.za/reels/fixed-spool-reels-spinning/penn-fierce.html  whichever reel you decide on will need braid for the extra distance when casting due to thinner diameter,here again it depends on your budget,but braids that you should look at is the gosen,power pro super 8,sufix 832...this must be casting braid(8 weave/strand)...braid that I use is called Rovex Viros NXT,which is cheaper than those mentioned but definately not any worse and is good value for money,some of the other brands sell for around R450-R600/300 yard spool,I paid around R370 for the 20 lb Rovex braid,I've had no problems with it and I use it often...hope this helps... :clwn not much beats shopping for tackle... :hnthnt: :hehe: :rck"


p.s:what rating does the rod have,what weight can you cast with it...? :dunno:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:55:25 PM by Lofty »
Always be humble...

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 12:55:48 PM »
unless you will be spinning like this regularly, don't over-invest.

if you are going to do this regularly, I would suggest the shimano sustain.
if not, the symetre is good. the penn is also adequate.

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 01:14:48 PM »
unless you will be spinning like this regularly, don't over-invest.

if you are going to do this regularly, I would suggest the shimano sustain.
if not, the symetre is good. the penn is also adequate.

only thing there is that the Symetre has a gear ratio of 4,7:1,where the Penn fierce has a 6,2:1 ratio,which is better for spinning...less hard work turning the handle to get the preferred speed into the lure/spoon...my Fierce 4000 has the same or even better line capacity than my Stradic 5000FJ... :hnthnt: and it's 2,5 times cheaper... w;k
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:16:25 PM by Lofty »
Always be humble...

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 01:46:17 PM »
agree, but if spinning is not going to be done regularly, sacrifices can be made.
the Penn is probably one of the better value for money reels I have looked at, but I cannot comment further since I have never invested in one. I do have a symetre 4000 with which a lot of spinning has been done. cannot complain at all, and for plugs, poppers or paddletails, retrieve rate is perfect.


Offline lvtubbergh

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 30
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark, Gauteng
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 01:57:40 PM »
Thanks guys.


I only get to the coast once or twice a year and the budget is a bit tight right now so I will aim for something cheaper.
How much line do I need?


I just went down to my favourite tackle store to look at what they have to offer. Didn't get a new reel but did get decoy hooks as Chris suggested as well as split rings and power swivels. I also picked up a plug and bucktail jigs. They didn't have a nice selection of paddle tails so i skipped those for now.
I did look at a Shimano Sedona SE4000FD which has a ration of 5.7:1 and from the reviews it sounds reliable. I will look into the Fierce and Symetre.


I will head off to a different shop later to look at more reels and maybe some paddle tails.


Thanks again for all the advice

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 02:18:38 PM »
quote.."how much line do I need..?"I'd say get a 300 yard /270m spool,sorry if I'm wrong but the Sedonas' line capacity seems a bit low... :dunno: as said,the Fierce has good capacity..will go check for you...braid-(lb/yds) 15/335*20/275*30/205...so you can put more 20lb braid on it...as mentioned the Rovex braid will suit your pocket better and is good value for money... :hnthnt:   
Always be humble...

Offline MahiMahi

  • Ultimate Beginner
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 120
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbz
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 02:41:15 PM »
... I do have a symetre 4000 with which a lot of spinning has been done. cannot complain at all, and for plugs, poppers or paddletails, retrieve rate is perfect.

I had the Symetre 2500 until a week ago when it went for a swim off the kayak and is yet to return... :-( Iv caught  baby sharks on it, a rock cod and a whole lotta other species including bass, and was blown away at the performance. In terms of spinning, its super smooth if taken care off and not dropped in the surf etc,  otherwise it will need to be stripped and cleaned and regreased, like with any other reel I suppose.

I have had  it paired with a 7ft rod and loaded with 15lb spider wire braid and 15lb Flourocarbon leader, and could really cast a fair distance. if the 2500 was such a joy, the 4000 will be a delight too, though a 5000 may offer that extra line capacity.

I have'nt had a chance to use the Penn Battle or Fierce in the 4000 and above, but they do offer great value for the pricing. In terms of the Sustain 5000, an uber smooth reel and you cant go wrong. Its lightweight and will pair with a 10ft rod like a beauty, and will recommend it in a heartbeat if your budget allows.

But yeah, Sub 1k, its the Symetre 4000 vs the Penn Fierce 5000. The new Symetre is Saltwater approved as well and if rinsed with freshwater after all your saltwater excursions, you have a reel that will last you for a long long time.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning/Symetre_FL.html

http://www.pennreels.com/products/reels/spinning-reels/fierce
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:49:04 PM by MahiMahi »
"This gift and bounty is from the bounty of my Lord"

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 03:03:26 PM »
my symetre has been abused. almost always gets soaked. has been awesome. just look after it when NOT IN USE. clean and lube before you put it to sleep for a while. do this immediately....

how much line??   anything that takes you over 300m youre not likely to land anyway, so 200-250 braid is fine, with backing if and when needed. Braid, also you dont have to spend too much especially if you not fishing regularly. I would consider the daiwa tournament or the JDB.
15lb is enough.
 

Offline MahiMahi

  • Ultimate Beginner
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 120
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbz
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 03:12:39 PM »
just look after it when NOT IN USE. clean and lube before you put it to sleep for a while. do this immediately....


:corrct: :corrct:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 03:13:10 PM by MahiMahi »
"This gift and bounty is from the bounty of my Lord"

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 03:21:11 PM »
, also you dont have to spend too much especially if you not fishing regularly. I would consider the daiwa tournament or the JDB.
15lb is enough.

 

 :shk R660 for Daiwa tournament braid... :cnfzd sounds like a lot to me,and BM only has that in 30lb & 50lb..no 15 lb...JDB 8 strand 20lb R450...like I mentioned before,for a budget braid I don't think you can beat the Rovex Viros braid,which cost me +- R370... :dunno:
Always be humble...

Offline lvtubbergh

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 30
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark, Gauteng
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 03:36:12 PM »
WOW! this is getting really expensive.


So for reels it seems to be between the Penn Fierce and the Shimano Symetre. I will check both of these out.


Do anybody have any info on Spider Wire EZ braid? I see that goes for about R210 for 15lb from basil manning.




Yet again, thanks for all the information from everyone!

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 04:50:11 PM »
i bought a spool of Daiwa tournament last week. Im sure it was under R400.
check out the JDB. also well priced and I have heard good comments about it.



Offline kevf

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 677
  • Cred: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: underberg,kzn
Re: First time spoon/popper fishing advice needed
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 05:27:35 PM »
WOW! this is getting really expensive.



haha that's the truth

enjoy it down there, I haven't  ventured that far south  :tite
its cruiser country

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal