Author Topic: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68  (Read 5795 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Curtly

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: East London
Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« on: March 03, 2014, 10:22:37 AM »
Hi
 
I would like to know whether it is okay to attach a Power swivel to my halco sorcerer 68's.
Will it spoil the action of the lure?
I use lure clips and the reason I want to do this is that i find it a bit of a fiddle to attach the lure clip to the lure itself.
 
Ta.

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:52:06 AM »
it won't but make sure the size of swivel matches the splitring. 
i replace the splitrings most lures come with for a smaller, decent one if I do this. the correct type has no visible "overlap" where the ring coil has a visibly raised point which interferes with the movement of the splitring through the swivel.

i rig a duo lock clip to the end of my leader and clip this directly onto the lure (remove the split ring altogether).
I run my swivel at the braid-leader joint. makes it much easier to change lures and has no effect on lure action. if anything, reduces visibility of splitrings and swivels at the business end.

Offline Curtly

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: East London
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 06:31:30 AM »
"the correct type has no visible "overlap" where the ring coil has a visibly raised point which interferes with the movement of the splitring through the swivel."
 
@ chrisquinton: With reference to the above could you perhaps post a pic of what this split ring looks like please?


Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 06:38:29 AM »
This explains all things lure related quite well

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=7491.0

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 08:48:22 AM »
Curtly, I will do so tonight, so everyone can see what I am trying to explain.
Unfortunately, I am busting chops at work till 5! swr

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:29:56 AM »
It's all in the link that Half-Pint posted!

 Always look for   Forged rings that have been 'stamped' out in the manufacturing process -   these rings have a kink in the middle of the ring, allowing the ring to   be 2 wire diameters thick. The unstamped versions are 3 diameters   thick, making them essentially useless, since they are too thick to fit   through the eye of the hook!




Offline travelmember

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 663
  • Cred: 49
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town Western Cape
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 09:37:42 AM »
Why use a swivel on a lipped lure? - they are designed not to spin in the first place. Simple Rapala knots work for me.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 10:39:22 AM »
Why use a swivel on a lipped lure? - they are designed not to spin in the first place. Simple Rapala knots work for me.

Guys are getting lazy TM... the use of quick-change clips are quite popular these days. But you're right, the best way is to tie a knot!

Offline Curtly

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: East London
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 10:41:18 AM »
@Travelmember: I find attaching a lure clip a better option as it  saves time in making the rapala knot each time.
If i wanted to change the lure its a matter of clipping it off and putting on another one!
 
@Reefman: Great Tutorial bud! Pretty self explanatory.
I'll be the first to admit that I've put a lot of crap split rings onto my lures cos I wasn't the wiser... so gues what I'll be doing in the near future: Taking em all off!
 

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 10:43:08 AM »
Shot bud, it's wierd that Halco uses those crappy 3-wide Split rings on all their lures...  :nuts:

Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 11:02:55 AM »
I was using a powerswivel attached to my fluoro leader,which is connected to my braid with a 7 turn uni and double fig.8,then using my split-ring pliers to change lures...I then read that some guys were using quick-change clips to change lures...I then bought these(pic)to try this,but after a while changed back to my previous method as I found these "quick change clips"to not be very easy or quick,I found too that sometimes I had to bend open the clip to be able to hook the lure...maby I'm doing something wrong... :dunno: is there perhaps a different clip that I could try..?
Always be humble...

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 11:31:46 AM »



The middle ones in the bottom pic are the ones I'm using more regularly now... can't remember what make they are, but you can bend them with your fingers.


Offline Lofty

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1474
  • Cred: 79
  • Gender: Male
  • dis lekker by die see...
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 11:57:56 AM »
 :tkx: mr.Reefs,interresting clip that middle one...will look out for some of those clips...I've got the top pics' dr.hook clip but never used it as a quick change clip... duh I used mine on my bucktails for some free movement... :dunno:
Always be humble...

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 04:08:42 PM »
That middle clip is called a Speed clip, made by Norman. Thanks Chrisquinton!





Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 04:10:43 PM »
Where did you get those Tony ?

Offline chrisquinton

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 227
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban north, kzn
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 04:12:22 PM »
I found them at bass.co.za
they have no stock left....

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 04:14:21 PM »
I've found them at Mia's before, but haven't seen those in a while... Don't think I have a single one left

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 04:15:54 PM »
I got mine at MIAS. Angling Africa out of stock as well.

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 04:17:48 PM »
Recently Tony?

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Attaching swivel to halco Sorcerer 68
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 04:25:42 PM »
 sry no. I'm not a tackle slut, haven't been to MIAS in at least.... 2 weeks.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal