Leaving on the morning of 2nd Jan for 6 nights of camping and fishing in the Drakenshberg - camping at Cobham (our annual group camp out -35 people!). We have been doing this for 25 years! Friends and familydrive in or fly in from far places for the event
The weather long term predictions of a few days ago have now moderated to light drizzle periods - so happy about that....particularly from a camping point of view. Three years ago we had a huge hail storm and non stop rain - so bad that we had to erect a teepee structure with a fire going non-stop that served as a "drying room" for boots, clothes and bedding from flooded tents.
In fact, the past 25 years of us doing this - there has never been no rain! Sometimes really bad, sometimes not.
Of course, trout fishing is high on my agenda - but not in a serious way......I have two functions at the camp out. The first is being "Camp Kommandant" to ensure that all logistics are in place, make cooking schedules (one team per night cooks for the whole group of which 30% are vegetarian) and generally ensure that things runs smoothly.
My second task is to initiate the youngsters into the wonders of trout fishing. This means lots of casting instruction, putting them on to fish etc. I end up fishing and catching very little because of this, but I really enjoy teaching the youngsters. Over the years many if them have become ardent anglers. This year I will also do some tying lessons (not that I know that much myself!)
And, during the trip I will be having my 60th birthday - so I will officialy become a real ballie/toppie!