Author Topic: split ring/snap swivel  (Read 2809 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline kevf

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 677
  • Cred: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: underberg,kzn
split ring/snap swivel
« on: December 29, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
What's the best method for quick changing of spoons/plugs etc? swivel with a split ring on the leader, a swivel on the leader and split rings on each lure or snap swivels? I'd imagine that direct onto the leader is something that isn't done as often?
its cruiser country

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: split ring/snap swivel
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
Personally I use a swivel attached to a small QUALITY split ring. Good quality snap swivels in small sizes are difficult to find and pretty expensive

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: split ring/snap swivel
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 05:27:27 PM »
What's the best method for quick changing of spoons/plugs etc? swivel with a split ring on the leader, a swivel on the leader and split rings on each lure or snap swivels? I'd imagine that direct onto the leader is something that isn't done as often?
swivel on leader or wire.....split ring on each lure..for me

Offline kevf

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 677
  • Cred: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: underberg,kzn
Re: split ring/snap swivel
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 05:30:45 PM »
thanks guys I thought as much, and that's a power swivel i'm sure?
its cruiser country

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: split ring/snap swivel
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 05:42:06 PM »
thanks guys I thought as much, and that's a power swivel i'm sure?

People use other swivels :dunno: :hehe:

The only other type you could use is a ball bearing but those are very pricey

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: split ring/snap swivel
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 06:12:42 PM »
hi KevF,
I use a snap clip with no swivel,I been doing that way for years and I have never lost a fish. However when spoon for Snoek use a split ring to reduce the chance of a bubble trail.


I hope this helps KevF.


14kg Garrick landed using a snap clip to attach plug.

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: split ring/snap swivel
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 06:31:04 PM »
thanks guys I thought as much, and that's a power swivel i'm sure?

People use other swivels :dunno: :hehe:

The only other type you could use is a ball bearing but those are very pricey

I used centro swivels as far as possible, and will go to power swivels as a second choice.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: split ring/snap swivel
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 08:11:14 PM »
I use a locally made Clip , made by Predator plugs . They are very popular and sometimes very scarce. I will post a pic some time of them .
Save loads of leaders and time . I only use them on plugs and sometimes spoons , but never on lipped lures or Dropshots/plastics .


For offshore shore its a whole other story/Thread really . 


Giant Leervis Fish hunter ! WOW
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:16:53 PM by Lenny »
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: split ring/snap swivel
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 09:15:22 PM »
Tnx Lenny,landed on a 9ft6 Poseidon,Dropzone with a Penn Affinity 4000, Awesome fight!!

Offline kevf

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 677
  • Cred: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: underberg,kzn
Re: split ring/snap swivel
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 05:19:12 AM »
thanks guys.

FH, great fish there, on that tackle must of revved you properly! Any particular brand of snap swivel? I've seen some dodgy looking ones out there.

Lenny, id appreciate that

 :tkx:
its cruiser country

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal