Author Topic: Eastern Cape Fishing  (Read 2193 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Dan-man

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Paarl, Western Cape
Eastern Cape Fishing
« on: December 27, 2013, 04:53:41 PM »
Hi guys
I hope the holidays are going well. First time on Ultimate Angling! I am still at work but heading down to Great Fishriver Mouth in the middle of January. I am seriously keen to catch Garrick and Kob on artificial baits or live bait but preferably artificial and I was hoping to get some guidence as to where to go for livies and targeted species in the Fishriver and ocean as well?
My other main concern is, being from the Western Cape, I don't know what wind to look for to know whether the fish will be on the bite or not? Which directions are good and which is bad for fishing and what does it do to water temperature?
Who can I contact with regards to a tagging kit? Any help will be really appreciated!
Regards  :tite

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Eastern Cape Fishing
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 08:42:16 AM »
Dan-man,

 :welc:

Tagging kit - Ori (Oceanographic Institute Durban - http://www.seaworld.org.za/ori )

Not too familiar with the area, but as always, locals will be the best info. Garrick, look for structure and drop offs in the water, they will be patrolling these areas. Take a selection of lures with you and go talk to locals (local fishermen), they should be able to send you in the right direction. Because fish move from one area to the next and are never 100% present in one specific area all the time, locals can tell you times and places to fish. Best will be a fishing store around that area, it's in their interest to give you accurate info.

Lures, always have a predator plug or two in your lure box. Again, locals will tell you what works there, but i would do some reading on this forum and take a selection with you. Experiment and you should do well. Just remember the golden rule, if you are getting no takes, change lures. Don't just fish one lure, I have many a time changed lures and had instant results.

Good luck, great part of the country, am sure you guys will have fun. (As always, try to release your Garrick, not great eating fish, numbers declining...you know what i mean).

Regards
Robin

Offline Dan-man

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Paarl, Western Cape
Re: Eastern Cape Fishing
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 08:24:34 AM »
Hi Robin
Thank you very much for the reply! I will definitely take your suggested route as I can find very little info of the Great Fishriver Mouth but a lot of the surrounding area. I have expanded my tackle box quite a bit so all I need is to speak to a couple of locals and enjoy the fishing.
I release most of my fish anyway as I don't like to put them in the freezer. Thank you for the ORI link. I am also a big believer in conservation would love to take part by tag and releasing.
Regards and tight lines!
Daniel :grk:

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Eastern Cape Fishing
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:27:38 AM »
 :+ cred: For your conservation minded fishing. Well done.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal