Author Topic: outboard alarm  (Read 2319 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
outboard alarm
« on: December 16, 2013, 03:45:45 PM »
I finally fitted the long sort after ignition switch to the port motor on my Johnson 30's, and we had some fun, the switch is totally different (although generic) in connection layout from the original and indeed some of the connections were numbered differently but we battled away and finally got the unit working properly. So...............
started the starboard motor and from turning the key the alarm sounds :cnfzd The motor runs fine, water pumps out the tell tale on the head and also out of the vents on the back of the motor so it's not a temperature problem I think :cnfzd

apart from temperature alarm what other alarm is there? The motors are 1996 models
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Chigger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 547
  • Cred: 26
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: outboard alarm
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 03:55:16 PM »
If its an auto lube - low 2 stroke.

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: outboard alarm
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 04:00:56 PM »
Possibly the temp sender/sensor unit faulty :dunno:
Just Fish!!!

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: outboard alarm
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 02:48:17 PM »
It is a puzzle, I disconnected the thermo switch on the cylinder head and the alarm still went off with the engine stone cold.
I reconnected the thermo switch and disconnected the brown (alarm) wire on the buzzer and the alarm still went off, reconnected the brown wire and disconnected the purple wire which is tagged as accessory on the attached wiring diagram and the alarm was silent, so the problem sits in the purple wire.
Any ideas on the implications if I leave the purple / accessory wire disconnected? :cnfzd
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: outboard alarm
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 03:27:20 PM »
Purple is often used as the live wire on marine systems if its marked as accessory its probably there to run power to something when the the ignition is turned on a fuel gauge for example leave it disconnected it shouldn't be an issue.

Offline pieta

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 673
  • Cred: 21
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing for the fun of it
  • Location: Bethlehem
Re: outboard alarm
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 06:12:03 PM »
You would want the bazzer to go screaming when needed. Just for a test, disconect the thermo switch on the head and short it out on the moter. If the bazzer does not go you have the wires mixed up and in case of overheating you will not be warn. By listening to your last post I think your purple wire is your bazzer wire. If you short it out any where on the moter it should go off.

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: outboard alarm
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 06:17:48 PM »
thanks guys
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal