Author Topic: Spooning for Cob...  (Read 10905 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Spooning for Cob...
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 10:40:27 AM »
Thanks Reefman
 

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Spooning for Cob...
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »
Best way to retrieve you lure for Kob , I would describe it as skipping or bouncing your spoon , some guys use a flutter retrieve , so they keep their rod tip high , give a couple of winds and let it sink back to the bottom .


I prefer a slow retreive , keeping contact with the lure and rodtip the whole time , I try to 'feel ' the bottom , be aware that some stikes feels like grass/ plastic bags , a sensitive rod tip will be a an advantage . Yes you are gonna loose a couple of lures , some guys prefer a light gauge hook , that you can pull open when stuck , and maybe save your spoon . When your fishing of the sand , check your hooks alot , as you will drag your hooks through the sand , making them very blunt , very qquik.


The most important thing is to fish the right condisions , and the right tackle . If the seas is to strong , its not conducive to lurefishing from the shore for Kob . When the sea is big and theres surges , your spoon/ lure rolls , and a Kob will not commit to your offering.

Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Spooning for Cob...
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 06:41:19 PM »
I have caught a grand total of 1 kob on spoon but it was on the south coast so perhaps the equivalent of 6000 kob in a place with fish :hyst: :hyst:

The way I was shown was to use very active spoons like the s bend spoons sheppie bomber etc. Your retrieve will be sloooooow. You want the head to bash the sand occasionally and do the odd faster jerk as if it is a small fish darting along the bottom. The fact that the spoon hits the sand will also allow the kob to bring its lateral line into play. Sane story with the wobble of an s bend spoon

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Spooning for Cob...
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 08:46:02 PM »
They normaly hit you on the fall from the bank into the gully. Some times you will get hit while pulling the lure up the dropoff before it gets on the second bank. 
What does the hit feels like? How do you distinguish between your spoon bumping into a rock and the actual hit?
It ranges from a tap , tap , tap  , to dead weight , to eat and run , one never know . The place were I fish , I get the swell side on , and when it happened , I cast and let it sink , all of a sudden , i just check , wag n bietjie, line going into the current , The Kob chowed the lure while sinking , one certainly must be ' wide awake' .I could have landed the fish , but I thought the hook is VAS , AI .





I have also experianced this , and recenlty it happed to me on a PD.
If you reel looses line and the rock has headshakes ... :hyst:  then you now . [size=78%] [/size]
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline pieta

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 673
  • Cred: 21
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing for the fun of it
  • Location: Bethlehem
Re: Spooning for Cob...
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 10:18:54 PM »
Keep your rod tip up. Most of the time they will flatten you after the hit or the line will go slack. This will meen they are swimming towards you after picking up the spoon. Reel it fast and hit when you can feel the waight of the fish. Most of the time you will know you have been eaten. Good luck and keep us posted. Some days you catch ten or more on spoons, other days they will rather take a rapala fished on the same way and some times they will only take live baits. I normaly slide a mullet on the one rod and will start scratching with a rapala or spoon on the other rod. You will soon know what they like the best for the day. With the rapala or halco's you are also fishing off the bottom. They do not sink as deep as the spoons. My faverite colour on the rapala is a light bleu in sunny conditions and a black on darkgreen in darker light conditions. Some days a silver lure is also very nice.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Spooning for Cob...
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 10:31:12 PM »
 :hehe: Thanks Lenny. Maybe soon you can show me in person how its been done?  :hnthnt:

If you reel looses line and the rock has headshakes ... :hyst:  then you now .

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Spooning for Cob...
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 07:23:52 AM »
Craig, you need to get some of those Clone stickbaits... from the Pautz brothers. I'm sure you've seen the Kob caught on them... simply awesome.

I had these and never used them recently........they are still in their packaging....... duh

Oh, BTW - when I could not get the Cob to bite in PE recently, I used a slim spoon and it worked very well.
 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:25:20 AM by RobinF »

Offline hotrodding

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Richards Bay
Re: Spooning for Cob...
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 04:01:55 AM »
Best way to retrieve you lure for Kob , I would describe it as skipping or bouncing your spoon , some guys use a flutter retrieve , so they keep their rod tip high , give a couple of winds and let it sink back to the bottom .


I prefer a slow retreive , keeping contact with the lure and rodtip the whole time , I try to 'feel ' the bottom , be aware that some stikes feels like grass/ plastic bags , a sensitive rod tip will be a an advantage . Yes you are gonna loose a couple of lures , some guys prefer a light gauge hook , that you can pull open when stuck , and maybe save your spoon . When your fishing of the sand , check your hooks alot , as you will drag your hooks through the sand , making them very blunt , very qquik.


The most important thing is to fish the right condisions , and the right tackle . If the seas is to strong , its not conducive to lurefishing from the shore for Kob . When the sea is big and theres surges , your spoon/ lure rolls , and a Kob will not commit to your offering.

good info ... never really thought of checking the hooks....
 
also could you guys direct me as to which clone lure you are using for leeries, as I throw a lot of plugs for them and would like to try something different..
 
thanks again for the great info

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Spooning for Cob...
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 04:14:08 PM »
Craig, you need to get some of those Clone stickbaits... from the Pautz brothers. I'm sure you've seen the Kob caught on them... simply awesome.

I had these and never used them recently........they are still in their packaging....... duh

Oh, BTW - when I could not get the Cob to bite in PE recently, I used a slim spoon and it worked very well.


Robin Trust me , I was also no keen on throwing them , and well now , I swear by them , they have a small 9 cm floating model , very very effective for Leeries in rivers .
All the bigger ones wrk very well , I cast my 1/1/2  clone Miles wit 15 lbs braid and a 9 foot rood .
I just change the Trebles , to singles put in another split ring . I have seen the guys have been using assist hooks with success , I have yet to try it as my singles are working for me so why change.  And at the price they go for , Who cares about the paint job ,  the couple I have [ the ones I didnt loose ] Paint looks bad , but they still catch fish , and has been bounced alot over rocks .
Pink seems to be a very popular Colour generally for the Clones lures . May just because thats what the guys seen on the pics or maybe It is the colour , they buy . I have taken fish on the Green , Redhead and Pink , and the White , and Yellow . 


Sharp hooks are PARAMOUNT , sometimes a big Kob will engulf your Spoon and just hold on to it , with a blunt hook you'll miss it and well you know what I am getting at . you have to fish on ' optimium' to get them , its hard work . 
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline hotrodding

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Richards Bay
Re: Spooning for Cob...
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 11:18:36 PM »
Thanks Lenny ...
 
Will have to stock up on some for the Leerie season coming up ...

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal