0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
That is a bus. I can't wait for my October Christiana trip.
Quote from: Poenskop on May 08, 2013, 10:10:52 AM That is a bus. I can't wait for my October Christiana trip. What weekend is Christiana this year ???
Quote from: Lichia amia on July 22, 2013, 04:20:25 PMQuote from: Poenskop on May 08, 2013, 10:10:52 AM That is a bus. I can't wait for my October Christiana trip. What weekend is Christiana this year ???
Excellent fish Herman, well done! It looks in great condition, in fact it's belly is almost as well conditioned as yours
Quote from: Lichia amia on July 22, 2013, 04:23:24 PMQuote from: Lichia amia on July 22, 2013, 04:20:25 PMQuote from: Poenskop on May 08, 2013, 10:10:52 AM That is a bus. I can't wait for my October Christiana trip. What weekend is Christiana this year ???I think it is 16 - 20 October.
Quote from: Poenskop on July 23, 2013, 07:28:13 AMQuote from: Lichia amia on July 22, 2013, 04:23:24 PMQuote from: Lichia amia on July 22, 2013, 04:20:25 PMQuote from: Poenskop on May 08, 2013, 10:10:52 AM That is a bus. I can't wait for my October Christiana trip. What weekend is Christiana this year ???I think it is 16 - 20 October. Poenskop, have you booked ? If so are you in the hotel, chalets or camping ?You will have to have with us rabble.
Bring on Summer !!!!
Quote from: Lichia amia on July 29, 2013, 05:04:01 PMBring on Summer !!!!
Looking back at some temperature history, it seems that the water normally reaches 14 degrees (at the barrage, so more like 15 deg in Parys area) in the first week of September. By the end of September, it should be 16 deg at the barrage and 17-18 near Parys. From my catch records, it is worth making the effort to drive to the vaal from about the second week of September (>3 fish/day), with the high-quality days (>15 fish) only really from the final week of September. I will of course (again) ignore all of this and be on the water from about the middle of August and keep everyone updated.
Poenskop, why wait for October ? Pieter and I spent a very cold, but beautiful morning on the Vaal today.On arrival @ 7:00 air temp was - 3 deg and water temp the same 10 deg it has been for the last month.. After a few "straf dops" to warm the cockles we hit the water just before 8. Rowed up, and parked the boat on the first reef. No surface activity whatsoever, so I tried the big dry , to lure them up, no takers. I then changed to the 2 flies recently shown on the fly tying section and fished down and across. Pieter and I were sitting on our rocks talking cr@p, when all of a sudden after a lazy cast, the fish took the fly on the drop. I couldn't believe it Vas I was, and about 7 minutes later had my first SM of the winter safely in Pieter's net. She weighed in at 3.6 kg.