Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566892 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #620 on: May 21, 2012, 08:01:42 PM »
Eish Herman hopefully soon. Graft been woes the last month or so.

Offline UrbanFF

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #621 on: May 22, 2012, 09:39:57 AM »
Sunday the 20th May 2012, I fished the Elgro drift and among 3 of us we caught 1 smallie on an MSP. We saw monster caddis and mayfly hatches with no feeding activity at all. I also spoke with guys who fished Strome and Vaalstreams with similar results.


Am wondering what other results if any the UA guys had on the Vaal on Sunday?



I guess that the cold front coming in and the barometric fall was a lot more influential than I usually give it credit for :)

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #622 on: May 22, 2012, 10:04:43 AM »
The barometric fall was so bad that I could not get out of bed to go fish. But it might have been due to the fall I had the day before.
Squid Happens!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #623 on: May 22, 2012, 10:11:53 AM »
The barometric fall was so bad that I could not get out of bed to go fish. But it might have been due to the fall I had the day before.

 :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr: :wtr:  as poef praat geld was !!!!!!!!!!!

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #624 on: May 22, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »
if only  :crzy
Squid Happens!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #625 on: May 22, 2012, 10:14:22 AM »

I guess that the cold front coming in and the barometric fall was a lot more influential than I usually give it credit for :)

Think you are spot on there .

Offline UrbanFF

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #626 on: May 27, 2012, 07:12:01 PM »
Fished GVP today and had some funnies, took a 3kg carp on a black leggy wooly bugger casting at structure looking for LMY and then took a nice Muddie on an Elkhair Caddis targeting SMY. Confused!
[/size]Apart from the wind pumping all conditions looked good, fickle fish ;)
[/size]
[/size]Until next time.
[/size]

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #627 on: May 27, 2012, 07:16:39 PM »
Well done on the winter Carp.  (clap)
 
Whereabouts at GVP were you fishing?
 
Wading or flotation ?
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline UrbanFF

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #628 on: May 27, 2012, 07:20:11 PM »
Did it the hard way and waded as I was with 3 people who had no floatation.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #629 on: May 27, 2012, 07:25:53 PM »
I may have posted this in the wrong place. But have a look at http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=9958.msg151539#new
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #630 on: May 27, 2012, 07:27:22 PM »
Did it the hard way and waded as I was with 3 people who had no floatation.

OK, I have a good idea of where you were fishing :shk :crzy w;k
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline UrbanFF

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #631 on: May 27, 2012, 07:33:53 PM »
One day we will fish together  :clwn

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #632 on: June 04, 2012, 08:06:42 AM »
So me and Herman did a little trip to GVP yesterday. With almost perfect wind conditions I thought that today I will get my first fish on dry fly but this proved not to be the day. There was very little activity on the water apart from a sole fish that was beyond my reach, and I lost sight of my fly after 15m so could not drift it to the area. I then decided to try my trusty black nymph under a stike indicator but same also lost sight of it after a few meters. Just as I was about to give up all hope a beast decided that he liked my nymph and took of in the direction of Parys. After taking my about 15-20m into my backing the cats paw between my leader and tippet gave way. That was the only action we saw the whole day. If any of you find a fish with a back nymph in its mouth - I want the fly back!
Squid Happens!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #633 on: June 04, 2012, 08:20:57 PM »
Thanks for the report Pieter. (clap)
 
 I am now convinced that the reason you are loosing these big fish is rod vs tippet. You are fishing a 7# rod, which is great for Largies, however on 2x leader and 4x tippet you just don't have the tippet protection of a lighter rod.
 
Next time we go out together I will take my Stealth Classic 1, and you fish with the Scott.
I'm willing to bet you will cast more accurately and land every fish you hook. :hehe:
 
The importance of rod vs tippet can not be underestimated. I used to fish summer with a Stealth 10 ft 6# bomber. Lost plenty fish and plenty flies. I now fish the Scott 9ft 5# SAS and have lost very few fish and less flies than before.
 
The Bomber is now my Largie, Estuariy, Shore stick. It has the same OOOMMPPPHH as a normal 8/9 # except for the Elbe 8/9/10 which has the Ooommmppphh of a 12/13.
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #634 on: June 05, 2012, 07:59:45 AM »
Thank you herman! I was thinking the same thing.
Squid Happens!

Offline UrbanFF

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 108
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Weltevredenpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #635 on: June 27, 2012, 04:51:12 PM »
Winter LMY drift this weekend - A couple of last minute cancellations have opened 2 slots on the Elgro drift this weekend , call me if you can squeeze in a little winter large mouth Yellowfish action, the weather forecasts for this weekend in Potchefstroom are ideal.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #636 on: July 01, 2012, 05:41:54 PM »
I did a recce today for next weekends Ultimate trip.
 
Got to the venue around 11:00, and was blown away. No wind, sunny skies, warm temp, and a water temp of around 13 deg. :yipee:
 
Alas, NO fish rising :-( . What the hell, it has to get better with these conditions I thought.
Boat blown up and off we go. A few Carp trying to prove that they are sea to air missiles, ( Quite spectacular to see a 8kg + Carp launch it's self clean out the water :-)  ).
 
Get to the spot around 12:00 and wait for the midday hatch, which didn't happen  :dunno: , even though the conditions were perfect. :dunno: :dunno:
 
So what to do ???????  Tied on a Speed Kop Wooly bugger and tested the drop offs. Nothing  :dunno: . Changed to a Copper MSP, nothing. :dunno:
 
Waded back to the boat for some sustenance and changed back to a Speed Kop. Cast from the boat into the tail out of a tail out, and fish on. :happ:  It ran me hither and thither on the first run, so I knew it was a Largie. After about 5 - 10 minutes it was  landed. Just over 2.6 kg, but alas the camera was still in the car duh duh .
 
That was the only action for the day, except for a lot of casting practise. :blush:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #637 on: July 01, 2012, 07:38:28 PM »
Brilliant Herman! Well done man! There haven't been too many caught so far this season that I have heard of, great stuff! Too bad about the camera, but every largie is trophy and I'm sure the memories will stay with you for a very long time.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #638 on: July 02, 2012, 07:44:43 AM »
Nice going Herman!

Offline Kumz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #639 on: July 02, 2012, 07:52:30 AM »
 (clap) Nice one

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal