0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Quote from: Herman Jooste on April 24, 2012, 04:17:57 PMQuote from: UrbanFF on April 24, 2012, 01:39:45 PMHi Herman, Where are you thinking of going on Friday PM ? I would love to learn more about winter fishing on the Vaal as it is a huge gap in my knowledge. More than likely GVP Richard. Been meaning to try that water between GVP and Oosthuzen's as I have seen plenty of "porpoising" going on there - might see you there on Friday - need to persuade the minister of home affairs that I can make it back in time to attend a black-tie dinner that evening.Am I invited??
Quote from: UrbanFF on April 24, 2012, 01:39:45 PMHi Herman, Where are you thinking of going on Friday PM ? I would love to learn more about winter fishing on the Vaal as it is a huge gap in my knowledge. More than likely GVP Richard.
Hi Herman, Where are you thinking of going on Friday PM ? I would love to learn more about winter fishing on the Vaal as it is a huge gap in my knowledge.
Quote from: FCLoretz on April 24, 2012, 05:00:58 PMQuote from: Herman Jooste on April 24, 2012, 04:17:57 PMQuote from: UrbanFF on April 24, 2012, 01:39:45 PMHi Herman, Where are you thinking of going on Friday PM ? I would love to learn more about winter fishing on the Vaal as it is a huge gap in my knowledge. More than likely GVP Richard. Been meaning to try that water between GVP and Oosthuzen's as I have seen plenty of "porpoising" going on there - might see you there on Friday - need to persuade the minister of home affairs that I can make it back in time to attend a black-tie dinner that evening.Am I invited??
On Sat i went to Woelwater with the family in toe .Go there only to find that the river was higher than normal and current was exceptionally strong ... There was loads of debris flowing in the river ... nearly did the shuffle twice after being hit by branches , the other annoying part was the amount of dis-carded line in the river ... ... i had taken out about 5 differnet lines that got me all tangled up .... .. i was only angler on the water for the time i was there .. Never the less , fish were practically non -existant .. i fished for about 4 hours before calling it a day .weather was bit bleek as well , with winds picking up and it became cloudy ... as a little drizzle came about , i left and headed home ... All in all , i was satisfied - spending the day with my girls there was reward enough ... Till next time Fishy's ...
I paid another visit to GVP yesterday, but wanted to check out the morning action as well. I arrived at around 06:30 to a mirror like river with themist and fish rising. As I was getting the boat ready there was a calling competition between two pairs of Fish Eagles !! Then I saw one flying down the river. My first sighting after listening to them for 7 years. I got the boat up to my new spot and started looking and fishing. The morning session managed 2 SM on Dry ( EHK ), both around the 1 kg mark. The wind started coming up around 11:00 so I rowed back for lunch. After lunch around 13:00 I went back up again and with the wind blowing and very sporadic rises, I changed to Nymphs in the deeper pools, and BOY did I find a deep drop off . Stepped off a ledge and I was literally swimming ! That spot has been well and truely memorised for summer, as the ledge is around 10 m long with a 2m drop off vertically below it. The afternoon session delivered 2 SM and 1 muddie on the nymphs, all fished deep through the throats and belly of the pools. I left the water at 15:00 whilst I could still row down against the ever strengthening wind. The Jury is still out as to which is better this time of the year, Morning or afternoon. P.S. Bill is in the process of building new chalets, these with their own bathroom and a brilliant view over the river.
Quote from: Kumz on April 30, 2012, 06:51:36 AMOn Sat i went to Woelwater with the family in toe .Go there only to find that the river was higher than normal and current was exceptionally strong ... There was loads of debris flowing in the river ... nearly did the shuffle twice after being hit by branches , the other annoying part was the amount of dis-carded line in the river ... ... i had taken out about 5 differnet lines that got me all tangled up .... .. i was only angler on the water for the time i was there .. Never the less , fish were practically non -existant .. i fished for about 4 hours before calling it a day .weather was bit bleek as well , with winds picking up and it became cloudy ... as a little drizzle came about , i left and headed home ... All in all , i was satisfied - spending the day with my girls there was reward enough ... Till next time Fishy's ... Thanks for the report Kumz. Yeah it's a pity about the amont of line left behind in the water by break offs. I just wish the the bank anglers would realise that rocky areas = getting snagged, and therefore fish with very light sinkersbwhich are attached to the main line with cotton, and not 40 lb braid. That way if you get snagged all you leave behind is 10cm of cotton and a small sinker, not 50 + meters of line, swivels, hooks and sinkers.
.....nearly did the shuffle twice after being hit by branches.....
...I got the boat up to my new spot and started looking and fishing. The morning session managed 2 SM on Dry ( EHK ), both around the 1 kg mark. The wind started coming up around 11:00 so I rowed back for lunch...
Quote from: Herman Jooste on May 01, 2012, 03:03:00 PM ...I got the boat up to my new spot and started looking and fishing. The morning session managed 2 SM on Dry ( EHK ), both around the 1 kg mark. The wind started coming up around 11:00 so I rowed back for lunch... Well done on the yellows on dry Herman! What colours were the Elk Hairs' that you used?
Quote from: Kumz on April 30, 2012, 06:51:36 AM.....nearly did the shuffle twice after being hit by branches..... You didn't shuffle at all? Impressive, most impressive!!
Nicely done Herman Did you try fishing streamers around the dropoff there?