Author Topic: Vaal River Update  (Read 566903 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1420 on: November 14, 2014, 09:38:20 AM »
Yip im out for this weekend too  :-(  That was a lot of rain for one week, the water must be raging :dunno:
Reach for a bream!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1421 on: November 14, 2014, 09:55:18 AM »
Will be fishing Duck Gully next Sat . First light until the cows come home. So spend the next week tying flies and come get a free lession on Yellow fishing next Sat. 

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1422 on: November 14, 2014, 11:32:52 AM »
Flows are at 30-35 and that is about normal

for info check: http://www.reservoir.co.za/flow.htm
and https://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/RTMain.aspx
Goosbay will be the flow for geelvis to eendekuil/eastco
Squid Happens!

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1423 on: November 14, 2014, 11:39:27 AM »
Hi guys

Hows this weekend looking for some yellows around Parys? Seems a bit high but I dont have that much experience

Thanx
Ian

It depends on where you are going to fish, but I have fished venues below parys that I only like at 70tons. current flow is at 30 and that is perfect. Just monitor the flows on the sites I have provided and dont drink the water.
Squid Happens!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1424 on: November 14, 2014, 11:42:05 AM »
Let me throw a Pigeon among the cats and let’s hear your thoughts on the following short line nymphing on the Vaal :
 
a)    Braid leaders
b)    Circle hooks for your control fly
c)    2 or 3 fly set up

Offline Grant L

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randburg, Guateng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1425 on: November 14, 2014, 12:12:52 PM »
Hi Craig,


a) I have not tried braid, I use hi-vis mono that I bar with a permanent marker on the spool.
b) circle hook control fly, yup.
c) I start with 3 flies, if there are too many tangles I will go to 2.


It's called Free State or North West Nymphing depending on what side of the river I enter from.

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1426 on: November 14, 2014, 12:31:14 PM »
Hi Craig,


a) I have not tried braid, I use hi-vis mono that I bar with a permanent marker on the spool.
b) circle hook control fly, yup.
c) I start with 3 flies, if there are too many tangles I will go to 2.


It's called Free State or North West Nymphing depending on what side of the river I enter from.

Nice  :tkx:  for your input Grant.

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1427 on: November 14, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »
a)    Braid leaders - Never tried
b)    Circle hooks for your control fly  - Yup
c)    2 or 3 fly set up - prefer 2 as 3 tangles... and makes unhooking a nightmare at the net etc.... I have tried it daisy chain style once and it worked....

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1428 on: November 14, 2014, 01:09:20 PM »
" I have tried it daisy chain style once and it worked...."
 
Over share  :cnfzd

Offline Ettienne

  • Oupie
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 357
  • Cred: 23
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sundowner, Gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1429 on: November 14, 2014, 01:24:31 PM »
c)    2 or 3 fly set up - prefer 2 as 3 tangles... and makes unhooking a nightmare at the net etc.... I have tried it daisy chain style once and it worked....
:cnfzd :dunno:  what is.....[size=78%]daisy chain style???[/size]
When you are on the river, ocean or in the woods, you are the closest to the truth you’ll ever get.
Jack Leonard

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1430 on: November 14, 2014, 01:27:56 PM »
....

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1431 on: November 14, 2014, 02:36:44 PM »
Let me throw a Pigeon among the cats and let’s hear your thoughts on the following short line nymphing on the Vaal :
 
a)    Braid leaders
b)    Circle hooks for your control fly
c)    2 or 3 fly set up

a) Tried a braid leader once only ever. Hooked a rock on about the third drift of the session and couldn't free the hook or snap the braid. Had to cut it off!
b) I use circles often on control flies but generally only on "Kursk" weight flies. I haven't picked up a difference in hook up ratio on circles vs caddis type hooks
c) 2 fly setup. Less tangles.

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1432 on: November 14, 2014, 02:49:09 PM »

a) Tried a braid leader once only ever. Hooked a rock on about the third drift of the session and couldn't free the hook or snap the braid. Had to cut it off!

Shouldnt it have been braid leader and then normal tippet (3x etc) to the fly ???

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1433 on: November 14, 2014, 02:54:45 PM »
Shouldnt it have been braid leader and then normal tippet (3x etc) to the fly ???

In hindsight obviously yes. It was an experiment - school fess paid up now!  :craz:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 02:56:31 PM by Rory »

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1434 on: November 14, 2014, 03:02:54 PM »
I might just add that that rock hit that fly like it was its last meal on the planet.... :crzy

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1435 on: November 14, 2014, 03:14:19 PM »
Now why would you want to use braid as a leader?
Squid Happens!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1436 on: November 14, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »
I have been fishing with a 30lb Berkley Whiplash leader (super thin diameter >+/- 0.15mm)straight onto a 2mm tippet ring on a 2 fly rig with the control fly off the tippet ring and it does give you an increased “ feel” you feel every bump on the bottom and a take by a fish feels like a little electric shock. I like the idea so far. Only problem there is no stretch in the leader , so if you do come loose while fighting a fish the leader goes air born right from the fishes mouth . Homes should have a nice story to tell of me coming loose on a fish about 20 to 30 meters from me and the leader and flies flying through the air into a tree . Had to climb the tree wader and all.
 
My next experiment is to add +/- 500mm of boiled 10lb Maxima at the end of the braid to give me a little shock absorber and still have the extra feel .

 Watch’s this space for feed back
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 03:27:57 PM by Lichia amia »

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1437 on: November 14, 2014, 03:25:24 PM »
Homes should have a nice story to tell of me coming loose on a fish about 20 to 30 meters from me and the leader and flies flying through the air into a tree . Had to claim the tree wader and all.
 

A sight not easily forgotten !

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1438 on: November 29, 2014, 01:31:38 PM »
Kallie, I like your thinking out of the box. w;k However what happens if your leader wraps or gets stuck under a rock ? :shk

I must admit, I have never tried braid as a leader, I like my mono leaders quite fine.

I did try boiling leaders at one time, but found the schlep wasn't worth it. Maybe fishing for LM or the Salt, a boiled leader might have some benefits.

BTW. The flow from the Barrage today is 90, so choose your venue very carefully. w;k

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 01:33:14 PM by Herman Jooste »
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline bassbug

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 401
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: randburg gauteng
Re: Vaal River Update
« Reply #1439 on: December 01, 2014, 05:18:43 AM »
because of bassing, i have been told and experienced that braid doesnt like rock. if not mono then go fluoro for added sensitivity

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal