Author Topic: Angola Trip - Tackle List?  (Read 4425 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Shaka

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Angola Trip - Tackle List?
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:02:59 PM »
Afternoon All!

I am going on a trip to Angola in 2014 and have read a lot about the fishing already, but what you never encounter in these reports are the list of things to pack.  I have done a search on the forum but did not find anything similar - if it exists, sorry about it and please then point me in that direction. 

Otherwise I thought it might be nice to compile a list for such a trip that future anglers also can use?

So here goes:  I have the following tackle - Full Rock and Surf gear with rods, reels (up to SL50/Torium30 size)

The problem area is the lure angling as I only have a 10.5ft Poseidon HMG Ultra Lite spinning rod...

Now what reel to pair with it?  I was looking at the Shimano Stradic for my main reel and then a Penn Battle for backup?  5000 or 6000 size? What braid do one use?

What rod to get as backup that will not break the bank?

Then, do one need anything lighter?  I have lots of bass and tigerfish tackle (mostly baitcasting though...) - will this work?

Lures???  Eish...I read one should take 2-2.5oz needle nose plugs, paddletails, V-Back spoons...  But what make, colour, how many etc? 

Will the experienced guys please help here - I do not want to come up short but also don't want to spend too much as I don't get to fish the salt often anymore...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 04:04:07 PM by Shaka »

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Angola Trip - Tackle List?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 05:22:17 PM »
Sheesh Shaka... lot's of questions!  :shk Will try answer a few of them, although I've never been there...

Andz on the forum has been to Angola... think he wrote a report somewhere. Will try find it for you later.

Your Poseidon Ultra Light - Stradic/Sustain 5000 will be tops with it.
As backup, shewie, tough question, so many options... maybe an Exceler 9ft Saltwater with another Stradic 5000? Tough to beat this reel at the same price.
Braid - Sufix 832, PowerPro Slick, Gosen - 20 or 30lb - all great braids. Some 50lb Double X Flourocarbon for leaders.
8ft Bass rods will work fine for dropshot and ultra light spinning.
Needle nose plugs from Basil Manning, GT Ice creams, Iron candy foil bullets, Couta Casting spoons. 1-3oz. The 1oz you can use on the Bass outfits.
Paddletails and Jigheads (1/4oz - 1oz) definitely for dropshot and spinning - apparently there are some nice Kob to be caught there. Also the Garrick and Shad are thick!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Angola Trip - Tackle List?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 05:26:01 PM »

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Angola Trip - Tackle List?
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 06:24:56 PM »
Sheesh Shaka... lot's of questions!  :shk Will try answer a few of them, although I've never been there...

Andz on the forum has been to Angola... think he wrote a report somewhere. Will try find it for you later.

Your Poseidon Ultra Light - Stradic/Sustain 5000 will be tops with it.
As backup, shewie, tough question, so many options... maybe an Exceler 9ft Saltwater with another Stradic 5000? Tough to beat this reel at the same price.
Braid - Sufix 832, PowerPro Slick, Gosen - 20 or 30lb - all great braids. Some 50lb Double X Flourocarbon for leaders.
8ft Bass rods will work fine for dropshot and ultra light spinning.
Needle nose plugs from Basil Manning, GT Ice creams, Iron candy foil bullets, Couta Casting spoons. 1-3oz. The 1oz you can use on the Bass outfits.
Paddletails and Jigheads (1/4oz - 1oz) definitely for dropshot and spinning - apparently there are some nice Kob to be caught there. Also the Garrick and Shad are thick!


Think you nailed it Reefs,


I would take the Amia, Shimano Exage 11ft (custom spinning), 10ft Spinning and the Adrenaline Dropshot rods.

I would also take the Sustain in 5000 and 6000 configurations loaded with 20 - 30lbs braid in the brands you mentioned as well as floro.


As for lures. I would go the same route on the plugs, spoons (maybe a bigger profile spoon) and add bucktail jigs with the lure weight in the 1,5-2,5 oz range.


As for how many...


As many as your bank account can allow.

Trust me I know how it feels loosing lures while you are very far away from the nearest tackle store to replenish.


That and also a light fight belt , split ring pliers lots and lots of split rings and swivels that match the size of lures as well as good quality popping gloves to protect your hands from cuts.


That would have been on my tackle list... (was while working in Luanda)


Hope it helps..

Offline Shaka

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: Angola Trip - Tackle List?
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 03:16:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys!!

I went and put together everything I have available to use for this trip. 

Thus far it is the following:
10.5ft Poseidon Ultra Light Spinning
9ft Shimano Vengeance Spinning (1-3oz)
Shimano Stradic 5000 - was thinking to match this to the Vengeance with 20lb braid?
Shimano Saragosa 5000 (older model - I think it is a 5000f) - was thinking to match this to the Poseidon with 30lb braid?

I have not had a chance to start on the lures yet - will keep you updated.

Gerhard, did you target cob, leeries and elf in Luanda?  Or were you geared more towards kingies/snapper/tarpon? 




Offline Shaka

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: Angola Trip - Tackle List?
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 03:17:06 PM »
How many "changes" of line do one take with on such a trip?

How many lures per day?



Offline Shaka

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: Angola Trip - Tackle List?
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 03:18:38 PM »
Here's that Flamingo lodge trip report.... http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=1337.msg9632#msg9632

Thanks Reef!!  I did read that carefully before I made my post here!!

I always try not to duplicate questions, but sometimes I think the search function and I do not gel that well...  :nuts:

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Angola Trip - Tackle List?
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 03:24:06 PM »
I worked in Luanda and targeted the species found around that area like Jack Cravelle

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal