Author Topic: African skiff  (Read 9312 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline deepblu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 577
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • support catch and release, fish for tomrrow!!
  • Location: jhb
African skiff
« on: December 04, 2013, 11:48:57 AM »
Gents how many skiff owners are there on the forum?? im looking for a inshore little boat was looking at the 450 Laguna?? can anyone comment on this boat ? :tkx: 

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: African skiff
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »
I've got the Island Runner and is nice fishing platform , little bit low in the gunwales otherwise no major issues . Africanskiff doesnt make them anymore although i think he still does the laguna  , concentrates on slightly different models but www.pescador.co.za still make them i think .. :dunno: 

Offline deepblu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 577
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • support catch and release, fish for tomrrow!!
  • Location: jhb
Re: African skiff
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 12:13:21 PM »
Thanks Mike as far as I know they still manufacturing skiff I know the business was for sale at a stage they now been manufactured in Namibia. what size motors u running with?

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: African skiff
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 12:18:19 PM »
Yep they still do the laguna450 , just had a look at the site , i run a 40hp Suzuki 2 st , goes well good platform for 2 up and gear , gets a bit cramped with 3-4 pax and tackle , great boat for estuaries , lakes and launching from protected waters for offshore, not much of a pronounced v in the bow so punching some waves will be dicey  :-) 

Offline deepblu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 577
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • support catch and release, fish for tomrrow!!
  • Location: jhb
Re: African skiff
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 12:21:38 PM »
see im only looking to use the boat for bass, tigers and the odd trip to kosi lakes as well as fishing Richards and Durban harbour and was thinking the little laguna  would be good for this .........

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: African skiff
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 12:28:16 PM »
Have a look at the 180 lts as well , very nice with plenty deck space and u dont need big horses to get her up and running .

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: African skiff
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 12:49:54 PM »
I have the Oceanrunner17 nice boat but a bit bigger than what you are looking at.
Just Fish!!!

Offline deepblu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 577
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • support catch and release, fish for tomrrow!!
  • Location: jhb
Re: African skiff
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 01:03:33 PM »
and you happy with it db? mike the 180 is awesome but at more than double the price and im limited to parking space see I got the cat if I need anything bigger. is there any other small boat centre consoles anyone can recommend?   

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: African skiff
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »
Expression 440 or 520... :hnthnt:

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: African skiff
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »
or the Voyager from Pittsmarine is another option .

Offline deepblu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 577
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • support catch and release, fish for tomrrow!!
  • Location: jhb
Re: African skiff
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »
any idea who the manufactures xpression?

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: African skiff
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
and you happy with it db? mike the 180 is awesome but at more than double the price and im limited to parking space see I got the cat if I need anything bigger. is there any other small boat centre consoles anyone can recommend?   

Very happy but its a big boat, bigger than what you are looking at, the Expression 440 is a nice hull, I had the Raider which is the same hull (old 14'6"Dolphin hull) not too laterally stable but rides well and is relatively dry for a small mono.
Just Fish!!!

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: African skiff
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 01:26:49 PM »
any idea who the manufactures xpression?
Not sure , i think somewhere in Vereniging ,  Waterworld are agents for them as well i think , pm Hammer , he has the 520 as well .

Offline zach

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 88
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: African skiff
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
I have just bought the expression 440 from Waterworld in JHB.Lovely little boat,I had Natal Caravan and Marine fit a 40 hp Yamaha 2 stroke for me.I have taken it out to sea a couple of times and it handels very well.Nice dry ride.

Offline deepblu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 577
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • support catch and release, fish for tomrrow!!
  • Location: jhb
Re: African skiff
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 05:15:08 PM »
found this video damm looks like this boat can handle well for big boat  :shk
 
 XPRESSION 600

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: African skiff
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 06:42:05 PM »
I have a 420 Witblitz wit 2 x 30hp on the back, it will take anything from 15-40hp. Very stable, easy to tow and a great little outfit :-)
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline deepblu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 577
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • support catch and release, fish for tomrrow!!
  • Location: jhb
Re: African skiff
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 12:26:28 PM »
thanks dodger but would like a mono hull?

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: African skiff
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
Have a look at the Skivee, I had one of those as well and it's a great little boat
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal