Author Topic: Spinning Rod for travel. Help please...  (Read 5369 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Machann

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 26
  • Cred: 2
  • Location: Pretoria
Spinning Rod for travel. Help please...
« on: November 28, 2013, 08:12:20 PM »
Hi guys. Started a new job as flood risk specialist. This involves a lot of site work next to rivers and travel and potential  :sreel:  Given the coastal side of the projects.


I'm looking for a light spinning setup to travel with, more a rod that I can take as hand luggage.  I have a Daiwa Exceler 4000 and Daiwa Lunga 3000 which I'll upgrade if required but they will do for the time being.


I was/am considering the Shimano Aero Cast in a 9-10ft given the three sections, which makes it shorter and easier to take as hand luggage. The small eyes is currently bothering me. Any other three piece rods you guys could recommend or should I just stick to the longer WAFT Venom  I currently own?




Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spinning Rod for travel. Help please...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 08:39:02 PM »
Nothing wrong with the aerocast!

Offline Mikel

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: Spinning Rod for travel. Help please...
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 09:55:52 PM »
Daiwa Wilderness WD905MS 9ft 20-60g (2oz) 5 piece is your answer


Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Spinning Rod for travel. Help please...
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 12:19:02 AM »
3 piece areocast is the way to go

Offline Cage

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 317
  • Cred: 64
  • Gender: Male
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: Spinning Rod for travel. Help please...
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 08:47:11 AM »
Aerocast!!! :shmno:
I wouldn't worry about the eyes, keep the leader knot out when throwing.........

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Spinning Rod for travel. Help please...
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 08:56:35 AM »
Daiwa Wilderness WD905MS 9ft 20-60g (2oz) 5 piece is your answer
I have also checked out this rod and it seems ideal for traveling. Has anyone fished with the Kingfisher PSD Telescopic rod? Saw it on "Hier gaan ons Alweer"  :dunno:

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Spinning Rod for travel. Help please...
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 09:03:20 AM »

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Spinning Rod for travel. Help please...
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 09:15:35 AM »
If you have the moola.
http://www.tackledirect.com/g-loomis-escape-travel-rods.html
You can say that again! If I buy a rod for travelling purposes I would want a rod that is not too expensive because it is going to take a hammering. I would rather settle for something cheaper that can still do the job than get an expensive rod and end up leaving it at home because I don't want it to get damaged.  :dunno: My 2c.

Offline L Hooker

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1330
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Spinning Rod for travel. Help please...
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 09:30:10 AM »
I also needed a small travel rod and eventually decided on the  St Croix Tidemaster 7ft med heavy 3 piece. Been using it for 2yrs and very happy with it, bought is from Basil Manning! It comes with a very compact/strong rod case. I use it for freshwater (Tigers etc when i'm in Zambia) and use it for spinning off the shore and boat. Have not tried the aerocast however here its a good choice as well. Not sure what the prices on these rods now however dont think you'll make a mistake with either.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Spinning Rod for travel. Help please...
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 09:37:37 AM »
Thanks, I will check it out.

Offline pieta

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 673
  • Cred: 21
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing for the fun of it
  • Location: Bethlehem
Re: Spinning Rod for travel. Help please...
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 08:23:17 AM »
Petri de Wet were using the kingfisher telescopic on the last epesode of Hier gaan ons alweer. You guys can have a look at it aswell. Sure super dave can help you with specks.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Spinning Rod for travel. Help please...
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 08:44:07 AM »
Adrenaline Dropshot 10ft...


Not to expensive, good strong rod but you might wanna upgrade the eyes and reel seat later if you want to...


Will cast a 2-3 oz lure a long distance.







 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal