Author Topic: Bucktails  (Read 6504 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Bucktails
« on: November 23, 2013, 05:50:34 AM »
Where are the serious bucktail anglers?


I have a question regarding hook set...

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 10:13:33 AM »
Not big on the Bucktails  ,but I do a fair amount of Paddletail fishing , and I would ASSUME you get the same type of bite on them [ for Kob ]  often if feels like a wetbag your dragging , and then the tap, tap , tap VAS . Otherdays  they just HAMMER the lure .
Obviously you should check your hooks , they must be sharp!

I would think that for other faster gamefish ,[kingiesen queenines ect]  you should be very alert on a faster retrieve , remember does not matter how fast you crack your reel , and the fish just ' idleing' behind your lure ,for a fish your lure is still prey , meaning they will use lots of energy to get the meal [lure] I have  experianced this a few times with fishing for Yellowtail with bucktails and one would get a very nice fast retrieve and they cast like a bullet .   


Would be cool to hear what Tommo and Castra would advize... where are those o's ?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 10:14:15 AM by Lenny »
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 01:24:33 PM »
Hi Lenny

Its very interesting method that you explained and use to retrieve the bucktail fast. That's what I like about artificial

angling,after 30years fishing with artificial lures im learning every day. The method that I use and was taught ... Twist .. twist

.. twist .. bouncing it very slowly on the sand bottom. Regarding Gerhard's question the way I retrieve the bucktail is,you just

feel a slight bump...Its a very light feeling when the Cob or Leerie take the bucktail in its mouth,you just pause your retrieve for

a second or two and if the Cob didnt drop it,witch happens and move away with your bucktail in his mouth... you strike. Fishing

a bucktail that way for Cob or Leerie is a very LIGHT feeling...the byte.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:29:14 PM by carll »

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 01:46:42 PM »
I love a bucktail.


I have caught fish in a lot of different places in the past.



If I had to fish anywhere in the world and only had one lure to choose from it would be a bucktail.


I preffer the Spro Bucktails in 1,5-2Oz.


With friends bringing me bucktails back from SA I got other brands as well.


The specific 1.5 OZ I had the last two weekends 4 hits with the fish on fighting for 5-10 seconds and then comes off.


The frustrating thing is that you spin for 4-5 hours once a week and with winter now here with cooler water the game fish are not abundant so you need to work hard for the one pr two hits.


But then you get the hit and I suspect they are Cuta but they dont stay set...


Now I know that the jig head can cause problems but I have almost never had this happen.


Could the lack of hook set be because of the particular jig hook as they are not the same as the Spro bucktails?




I cast a lot of different lures in a session but the bucktails are the lure getting the hits...


Will appreciate your inputs.




Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
added stingers to the bucktails...


sorry about the poor quality but you will get the idea.


will be testing next week Friday.



Offline pieta

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 673
  • Cred: 21
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing for the fun of it
  • Location: Bethlehem
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 07:00:44 AM »
I have seen that a to long tail can also be a culprit for on offs.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 02:20:20 PM »
Thats a fine Idea Gerhard .


Do you think that you could turn the trailer hook other way around ? I mean , facing downwards . Best is to experiment fish one day with it like you have it there , and fish one day how I suggested , see what happens . What I have picked up over the years , is being successfull with A lure , you have to generally spend some time , loose a couple and put some time into a specific lure , persistance plays a role obviously but knowing the lure , you will be able to know when to throw it and when not too , the times you cant throw that specific lure , time to get down with another lure which might work in the situation where you fishing , I think thats what makes it soooo exciting fishing with lures , because you never stop learning and your lure collection grows too LOL


I think I will have a ball further up our coast , with lures where theres more species and faster fish that we have down here .


Reason  I suggest it , When fishing with Spinnerbaits for Bass we picked up that once we turned it around , we dropped less fish and it seemed like the fish hooked themselves easier !
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 02:28:15 PM »
Thanks for the info Lenny,


I used a small swivel on the stinger.


I will have a look on Friday how the stinger swims.


I must admit I will struggle to slow down to fish for cob as I am realy burning the bucktail through the water, also seems the fish want to get the lure on speed.


The other lures like the spoons swims awesome just a matter of time before they also get toothy marks on them...

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 06:13:11 PM »
Oh , i could not see the Swivel , I would not put a swivel on there , for the mere reason , the hook will swivel around and could give the fish the benefit when eating the lure .


But give it ago and report back !
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
Oh , i could not see the Swivel , I would not put a swivel on there , for the mere reason , the hook will swivel around and could give the fish the benefit when eating the lure .


But give it ago and report back !


I have very limited options available here as all I have is what I brought with me or couple of friends from here brought with from leave.


I have used almost the same concept on plugs to make them bite proof and had no issues with hook ups so I am confident that I will connect with  :cout:  or 2...  :hnthnt:

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 07:39:50 PM »
Gerhard, not too drive you nuts, or forcing you to drive around that place and try and locate something you will never find there :rotfl , BUUUUUT dunno if you know of the trailer hooks that we use on large spinner baits when the fish are short striking the lure? If not, well, the trailer hook is similar to the spinner bait hook with the only real difference in that the hook eye is big enough to fit over the barb of the spinner bait hook thus removing the swivel and all the connecting issues that it might require or end up not doing when the fish actually commit. It is normally just kept from sliding back up with a small piece of latex tubing.
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 07:52:56 PM »
Gerhard, not too drive you nuts, or forcing you to drive around that place and try and locate something you will never find there :rotfl , BUUUUUT dunno if you know of the trailer hooks that we use on large spinner baits when the fish are short striking the lure? If not, well, the trailer hook is similar to the spinner bait hook with the only real difference in that the hook eye is big enough to fit over the barb of the spinner bait hook thus removing the swivel and all the connecting issues that it might require or end up not doing when the fish actually commit. It is normally just kept from sliding back up with a small piece of latex tubing.


hehehe


I tell you driving in this place can get scary very quickly. :nuts: :craz:


I used a small swivel and heat shrink to prevent it from sliding back over the barb.


I am confident that I will get a hook up with the short striking fish.


I am still looking for the 20kg class  :cout:  that swims these waters now.


That will be a fish to remember off the bricks... :hehe:

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 08:35:31 PM »
Gerhard, not too drive you nuts, or forcing you to drive around that place and try and locate something you will never find there :rotfl , BUUUUUT dunno if you know of the trailer hooks that we use on large spinner baits when the fish are short striking the lure? If not, well, the trailer hook is similar to the spinner bait hook with the only real difference in that the hook eye is big enough to fit over the barb of the spinner bait hook thus removing the swivel and all the connecting issues that it might require or end up not doing when the fish actually commit. It is normally just kept from sliding back up with a small piece of latex tubing.


hehehe


I tell you driving in this place can get scary very quickly. :nuts: :craz:


I used a small swivel and heat shrink to prevent it from sliding back over the barb.


I am confident that I will get a hook up with the short striking fish.


I am still looking for the 20kg class  :cout:  that swims these waters now.


That will be a fish to remember off the bricks... :hehe:

Sounds like it can work, if you however feel that you want to try some of the trailer hooks, lemme know and perhaps we can arrange something? Where in Saudi are you? I need to go to Riyadh sometime, not too sure exactly when.
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 08:41:38 PM »
Thanks Mnr,


I am 180km from Dammam.


Closest town in Jubail its about 5 hours drive from Riyad .


I will get stinger hooks in Mid Jan when I go home.

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 08:52:42 PM »
U'r welcome, I know how difficult it can be to get stuff when you need it.
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 09:39:13 PM »

 I need to go to Riyadh sometime, not too sure exactly when.
Gravy planing?

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 10:33:35 PM »

 I need to go to Riyadh sometime, not too sure exactly when.
Gravy planing?
:hehe: , nah Ziggy, it is on my list for work this semester, but then again, I have not been able to do even one of the required half dozen countries this semester yet, might leave for the first one on Sat coming, if it gets approved in time! Remember when I said that it would be so nice, your policy, that would show Management how they are failing ? Exactly !
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 04:19:46 AM »
I will be testing two different stingers tomorrow.


Will keep you posted on the results.

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 08:55:39 AM »
Gerhard, that looks like a Kingfisher bucktail? First I have heard of the hook up issues. A couple of quick thoughts would be check the sharpness of the hook or is the gape / hook point hidden due to much bucktail?
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 09:00:11 AM »
You said it not me... (Brand)


I have checked all above and is in order.


Will be casting them again tomorrow to see what happens.


The hook definitely has a different shape than the Spro's

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal