Author Topic: Daiwa Tournament braid  (Read 8700 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Picastor

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 37
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 12:56:50 PM »
Hi Fishy,

Thanks. I did get what you meant. It a very interesting point you raise about the longer rod. I had aspirations of using my 9 foot rod but am now definitely going to look at longer options. I understand no braid is bullet proof...just looking for recommendations by guys like yourself who are happy that you have the best of both worlds so to speak. What is the diameter of 30lb Gosen please?

Offline Picastor

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 37
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 01:02:05 PM »
Hi Super Daav,

Lol...yeah I can just imagine. Its best I never get to work in a tackle store...my obsession is bad enough as it is.... w;k

Thanks again for the advice...now to make my choice...

Offline Cage

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 317
  • Cred: 64
  • Gender: Male
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 01:58:08 PM »
Ive got 25lb gosen on mine (not 30lb), diam is 0.24 if i recall so 30lb should be around 0.26. The guys are right though, 20,30, 65 all dont stand a chance against the reef and rocks so rod length and leader are a factor here. I have 48lb gator on my heavier surf spinning stick and dont have single complaint.. And the better diam of gator gets a whole lot more kn the spool which is always a big help. My personal view is that at the top end all the braids are fit for purpose, comes down to personal choice and price obviously...

I use a 9ft when im throwing bucktails and dropshot because i find that length most comfy to work those baits. All other spooning and plugging is 11ft territory purely for the ability to throw further and be able to lift the line over and away from reef...

Offline Fishersteve

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 123
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jersey Channel Islands/Emonti
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 02:12:59 PM »
I tried diawa tournament braid after having a few issues with 8 strand braids and now have it on three of my reels - 20 and 30lb and can't find fault with it.No weakness at leader knots and none of that "visible" line twist that is noticeable with 8 strand braids.However, when it comes to fish that don't fight fair a still prefer a good 4 strand.

Offline Picastor

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 37
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2013, 02:44:07 PM »
Hi Cage,

Thanks for that. This is all really great food for thought.

Fishersteve,

Cheers...really good to know the Tournament braid has that attribute.

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 09:02:12 AM »
Hi Picastor
 
Another good braid is Sufix 832. I have been using braid for over 8 years and Sufix 832 is the toughest braid I use so farThe biggest reason for me was it worked
much better for spinning because you have  direct contact with your lure.Its a product of Rapala and it won the Best Fishing Line award at the 2011 ICAST show.Like I always say when I see something  new "What makes this better than  the rest?" Okay they calls it "the  next generation of technical fishing line".It is braided line, but  includes GOREPerformance Fibers (think Goretex) to make it stronger and more  durable. Sufix's 832 is an eight strand braid with the unique feature of having a proprietary Gore fiber as one of those strands. This fiber  was introduced to increase abrasion resistance and,if it works I dont know as  fishy says No braid has a good abrasion resistance. The theory ishis proprietary Gore fiber acts as a cushion and lubricant to the other seven, Dyneema fibers keeping them from cutting one another in situations of high  impact - like a hookset or when you tie a knot.

Any other guys using Sufix 832

 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:13:20 AM by carll »

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 09:33:30 AM »
     Hi Picastor
 
  Another good braid is Sufix 832. I have been using braid for over 8 years, the  biggest reason for me was it worked much better for spinning because you have  direct contact with your lure.Its a product of Rapala and it won the Best  Fishing Line award atthe 2011 ICAST show.Like I always say when I see something  new "What makes this better than the rest?" Okay they calls it "the  next generation of technical fishing line".It is braided line, but  includes GORE Performance Fibers (think Goretex) to make it stronger and more  durable. Sufix's 832 is an eight strand braid with the unique  feature of having a proprietary Gore fiber as one of those strands. This fiber  was introduced to increase abrasion resistance and,if it works I dont know as  fishy says No braid has a good abrasion resistance. The theory is this  proprietary Gore fiber acts as a cushion and lubricant to the other seven,  Dyneema fibers keeping them from cutting one another in situations of high  impact - like a hookset or when you tie a knot.

 
  Any other guys using Sufix 832 ?

Yes and it is by far the best I have used in this category
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 09:39:44 AM »
What does the Suffix 832 cost??
Just Fish!!!

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »
What does the Suffix 832 cost??
Can't remember exactly and it varies with strength, but around R400 for 300yards is roughly what I think I paid for the last spool I bought a year or so ago. This was for 50lb.
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline travelmember

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 663
  • Cred: 49
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town Western Cape
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 09:59:07 AM »
Another vote for 832. Have 30lb on 5000 and 50lb on 8000 - all for spinning for yellowtail off the boat. Probably over a ton of fish on the line over the last 12 months, no worries. And that is using it in kelp, over reefs etc.

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 10:01:49 AM »
Yrs it cost R400 for 300 yards
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:02:55 AM by carll »

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal