Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
Did you miss your
activation email
?
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Home
Recent Topics
Forum
Login
Register
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
General Angling Topics
»
Saltwater Lure Angling
»
Daiwa Tournament braid
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
2
Go Down
Author
Topic: Daiwa Tournament braid (Read 8690 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Picastor
Member
Posts: 37
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Daiwa Tournament braid
«
on:
October 31, 2013, 10:31:14 PM »
Hi All,
Can anyone give me me any feedback about Daiwa Tournament braid? I know its pretty expensive...just wondering if it's worth it?
Looking at the 30lb to go on a 5000 Stradic.
Is the Saltiga braid a viable alternative?
Logged
1969
Senior Member
Posts: 109
Cred: 1
Gender:
Location: natal umdloti
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #1 on:
November 01, 2013, 05:41:16 AM »
Both excellant braids however i cannot justify the 300 rand price diferance between that and gator braid .
Logged
Picastor
Member
Posts: 37
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #2 on:
November 01, 2013, 05:59:33 AM »
Fair enough. The Tournament braid in particular is dear but I am willing to shell out if it is worth it.
May I ask which breaking strain Gator you use? How have you found it?
Logged
fishy1969
Senior Member
Posts: 176
Cred: 3
Gender:
Location: Durban
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #3 on:
November 01, 2013, 07:01:56 AM »
Hi Picastor,
I have been using the Gosen 30lb for about 6 months now......shows no sign of wear and still casts like a dream!
Logged
Picastor
Member
Posts: 37
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #4 on:
November 01, 2013, 07:06:06 AM »
Thanks for the input. Have considered Gosen...its in kinda the same price bracket as the Daiwa Tournament.
Logged
fishy1969
Senior Member
Posts: 176
Cred: 3
Gender:
Location: Durban
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #5 on:
November 01, 2013, 07:09:38 AM »
Ja thats right......i have been mightily impressed with it.....landed lots of
around the rocks....have had my share of fish cutting me off but thats not due to the braid. I was fishing with a 9 foot rod and seem to have far less cut offs now that i have moved to an 11 foot rod.
Logged
Picastor
Member
Posts: 37
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #6 on:
November 01, 2013, 07:17:07 AM »
Great. That's good to hear. I want to target them in Moz off the bricks. May I ask what set up you have? What sort of distance do you get with the Gosen?
Logged
fishy1969
Senior Member
Posts: 176
Cred: 3
Gender:
Location: Durban
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #7 on:
November 01, 2013, 08:03:14 AM »
I have a Sustain 500 on an Assassin Amia 11 foot 1XH.....throws a 45 gram spoon about 130m
Logged
Picastor
Member
Posts: 37
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #8 on:
November 01, 2013, 08:13:45 AM »
Thanks. That's impressive!
A bit off the topic but have you found the kingies partial to any particular spoon or are you targeting them with plugs?
Logged
fishy1969
Senior Member
Posts: 176
Cred: 3
Gender:
Location: Durban
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #9 on:
November 01, 2013, 08:30:09 AM »
Definitely the Iron Candy range.....Couta Casting 2 and the foil bullets
http://www.basilmanning.co.za/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/COUTA_CASTING_51277e83ab875.jpg',
'win2', 'status=no,toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,titlebar=no,menubar=no,resizable=yes,width=988,height=483,directories=no,location=no');]
[/url] the 47g versions. Coulour pretty much personal preferance but in the couta casting i like the greens, pinks and lumo....in the bullet foils i like the pink.
Logged
Cage
Senior Member
Posts: 317
Cred: 64
Gender:
I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #10 on:
November 01, 2013, 08:41:55 AM »
Throwing 30lb Gosen on my sustain 5k as well and very happy. I have 20lb Gator (8 strand) on a spare spool that I use when trying for a little extra distance for snoek in KZN. Have had no issues with either but Gosen definitely a winner for pulling Kings in the rocks.... Gator 20lb diam is 0.1 and Gosen is a fair bit thicker so the finer diam does help with distance....
Logged
Picastor
Member
Posts: 37
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #11 on:
November 01, 2013, 08:44:34 AM »
Thank you. I have couta casting in glow and pink...will get a foil or two as well. What is the moset effective retrieve?
Logged
Picastor
Member
Posts: 37
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #12 on:
November 01, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »
Thanks Cage. Another vote for the Gosen...sounds like it really is a winner.
Logged
fishy1969
Senior Member
Posts: 176
Cred: 3
Gender:
Location: Durban
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #13 on:
November 01, 2013, 08:52:51 AM »
I generally try to go as fast as i can without the spoon breaking the surface.....this speed varies in windy conditions.
Logged
Cage
Senior Member
Posts: 317
Cred: 64
Gender:
I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #14 on:
November 01, 2013, 08:57:56 AM »
cuta casting superb at high speed retrieves, the foil does well at high speed and has a nice kick on a slightly slower retrieve as well. Both are very versatile, have caught fish by burning it back just after hitting the surface, casting out and waiting for it to hit bottom with a steady retrieve, a jerk every now and then, sweeping the rod and taking slack while it flutters back down. Very keen to try Barry's tip of fishing the cuta casting like a jig but from the shore - remove standard hook and split ring and replace with an assist on the top to prevent connection with the reef a bit....
Logged
Picastor
Member
Posts: 37
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #15 on:
November 01, 2013, 09:02:59 AM »
Excellent. Really value both your input.
Logged
super_daav
Ultimate member
Posts: 855
Cred: 74
Gender:
Lower Zambezi 2009
Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #16 on:
November 01, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »
Picastor, have a look at our Triple Fish Gator braid 8 weave in 33lb. The diameter is 0.14mm which is as I understand almost the thinnest diameter / breaking strain ratio currently. A 300m spool is R561, which is a similar price to the Gosen I think?
The Daiwa Tournament braid 30lb has a diameter of 0.16mm and is R598. Also a nice braid but it is expensive.
The Daiwa Saltiga Surf braid is also available in 30lb with a diameter of 0.25mm. Also an 8 weave braid. It is expensive at R798 for a 300m spool. In truth more affordable options available.
Personally I think that the Tripe Fish is better value for money; the thinner diameter will give you a greater casting distance and the knot strength is very good.
On a different note, the Triple Fish Gator Braid 4 weave is also available in 33lb and has a diameter of 0.14mm. It is R441 for a 300m spool. Very nice braid, cheaper than the 8 weave. Not sure your application but assuming spinning of the bricks? I use this on more offshore spinning reels and really like it. Strong knot strength to boot.
Cheers,
Hope this helps?
Logged
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent
Picastor
Member
Posts: 37
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #17 on:
November 01, 2013, 12:36:10 PM »
Super Daav,
Thanks for the info...I have to be honest choosing braid for my saltwater spinning set ups has without a doubt been my most difficult tackle choice ever. It seems to be a very subjective topic.
I must say the Gator braid seems a very good distance option but as I will be targeting kingies off the bricks in Moz I need some abrasion resistance and am willing to trade some distance as a result. I am not sure what the diameter is of the 30lb Gosen but its abrasion qualities come highly recommended as above. I am in all likelihood going to get a spare spool for my Stradic and will then strongly consider the 33lb Gator for extra distance.
At the end of the day I am willing to pay for the right stuff...just want to be sure I make the right choice. Interestingly enough I can get 200yd spools of 30lb Saltiga Surf for R340. Seems a goid price?
Logged
fishy1969
Senior Member
Posts: 176
Cred: 3
Gender:
Location: Durban
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #18 on:
November 01, 2013, 12:46:19 PM »
Hi Picastor,
I think you may have misunderstood me earlier....apologies! No braid has a good abraision resistance. 8 weaves may take a bit longer to wear through that a 4 weave, similarly a thick one may take a bit longer than a thin one. The reality is that once it starts to abrade it is buggered in that section. I was refering more to the extended length of my rod that from a 9 foot to an 11 foot that magages to keep the line off the rocks more successfully. Hope that makes sense.
Logged
super_daav
Ultimate member
Posts: 855
Cred: 74
Gender:
Lower Zambezi 2009
Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Daiwa Tournament braid
«
Reply #19 on:
November 01, 2013, 12:54:50 PM »
Hi Picastor,
Tough choices I know! Try working in fishing shop! No money ever!
Braid is hugely subjective and everyone's thoughts differ depending immensely. I think braids are fairly uniform in abrasion resistance in that they aren't really but the key is, as Fishy1969 says, the longer rod which keeps your braid out of the rocks, slightly longer leader etc.
I think with either of the brands you would be in good hands.
The deal on that Saltiga braid is very good!
Logged
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent
Print
Pages: [
1
]
2
Go Up
« previous
next »
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
General Angling Topics
»
Saltwater Lure Angling
»
Daiwa Tournament braid
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal