Author Topic: Spinning rods  (Read 18273 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 07:38:53 AM »
Louis, did you see that you won a Laguna reel in the Kingfisher Competition?!  :cgrts:

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 10:14:19 AM »
Prego, iFish have some very nice ones on the market at a great price, my son has been testing and doing some mods to them which they have now incorporated into the design, give BM a call.
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 12:54:09 PM »
Louis, did you see that you won a Laguna reel in the Kingfisher Competition?!  :cgrts:

Ja thanks, I did see that :1t: . Finaly Lady Luck smiled at me. I've send them the mail with my address. I just hope they deliver before I move house at the end of the month.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 10:03:19 AM »
I've imported a rod from Japan. Very nice action and it puts a bullet spoon out of sight.

http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/palms-elua/en/shoregun/

I've got the 103XH. The shipping is a lot so it helps if you share shipping with someone else.


Whats your complete setup look like?


Rod, reel and line?


What distance do you get and what lure weight are you casting?




Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 12:58:39 PM »
I found a 10ft  :shmno:  Nexave and it is awesome! It can cast a spoon like a champ and its light. Pulled in an 18kg barbel with it last year and fight was brilliant, so direct! :win: for me.
Reach for a bream!

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2013, 10:22:40 PM »
I've imported a rod from Japan. Very nice action and it puts a bullet spoon out of sight.

http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/palms-elua/en/shoregun/

I've got the 103XH. The shipping is a lot so it helps if you share shipping with someone else.


Whats your complete setup look like?


Rod, reel and line?


What distance do you get and what lure weight are you casting?

I use the above rod with a Sustain 5000 and use 125 yards of14lb Fireline on top of 300 meters of 30lb whiplash as backing. The braid is the only part of the setup that I would change. I would go for the Gosen braid if I buy again. I cast all of the 125 yards topshot out of the tip guide with a 2oz bullet spoon. I am sure it will go further with the Gosen.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2013, 09:14:44 PM »
The Assassin Amia will get its 1st test run on Friday in Saudi.


Thanks to Jon and Nick from Ocean Active. :tkx: :tkx:




Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2013, 09:28:27 PM »
 (clap)  nice Gerhard , is it the Heavy or XH version.. ?? ,  and  :+ cred:  to Ocean Active as well :win: .

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 04:14:01 AM »
(clap)  nice Gerhard , is it the Heavy or XH version.. ?? ,  and  :+ cred:  to Ocean Active as well :win: .


Mike,


I was able to get hold of a Heavy...

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 07:51:46 AM »
Gerhard you going to enjoy the Amia,its a great spinning stick !

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 08:18:16 AM »
 :blush: Sorry for the hijack Prego.

Guys I have a Sustain 5000 which I need to pair with a rod. Any ideas?

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 08:36:34 AM »
Charles I paired my Sustain with my Amia XH. Its well balanced outfit and you can cast for hours. I had a chat yesterday with a

Shimano rep and the guy told me that the reel was design for 9ft - 11ft rods. The demand is so high in the world for the Sustain

5000 that Shimano cant keep up with production !
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 09:53:30 AM by carll »

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2013, 08:39:38 AM »
:blush: Sorry for the hijack Prego.

Guys I have a Sustain 5000 which I need to pair with a rod. Any ideas?


Decide what lure weight you want to cast.


Decide where you will be spinning. Beach or rocks.


What species will you be mainly targeting?


All the info will guide you to make the correct rod choice for the Sustain

Offline Bwana

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 916
  • Cred: 206
  • Gender: Male
  • Deep Blue Addict
  • Location: Shelly Beach, KZN
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2013, 08:42:41 AM »
@Charles - the Amia is a great choice but I've just ordered teh Sustain 5000FG paired with a Shimano Vengeance 10ft XH and they balance really well just another option

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2013, 09:03:58 AM »
We don't have a huge variety of fish to target in the Cape.

Worth to mention is the fact that the reel was purchased purely because of TA and now that same TA drives me to a rod. I stumbled upon a "second hand new one" which has never seen line or a rod for a very good price.

I will use it from the beach / rocks to target mainly leeries, shad and cob. Lure weight should not exceed 3oz. From the above it is clear that the rod need to be versatile.

I am leaning towards the Vengeance 10ft XH.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:05:56 AM by Charles »

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2013, 09:11:27 AM »
Hi Guys,
 
The shorter rods are fine in the surf.....the more you fish off rocks, the more length you need in the rod to keep your line off the rocks. This is why Barry designed the Amia at 11 foot, apart from the obvious casting benefits.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2013, 09:19:07 AM »
Hi Guys,
 
The shorter rods are fine in the surf.....the more you fish off rocks, the more length you need in the rod to keep your line off the rocks. This is why Barry designed the Amia at 11 foot, apart from the obvious casting benefits.


I agree...

Offline Bwana

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 916
  • Cred: 206
  • Gender: Male
  • Deep Blue Addict
  • Location: Shelly Beach, KZN
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2013, 09:38:08 AM »
We don't have a huge variety of fish to target in the Cape.

Worth to mention is the fact that the reel was purchased purely because of TA and now that same TA drives me to a rod. I stumbled upon a "second hand new one" which has never seen line or a rod for a very good price.

I will use it from the beach / rocks to target mainly leeries, shad and cob. Lure weight should not exceed 3oz. From the above it is clear that the rod need to be versatile.

I am leaning towards the Vengeance 10ft XH.



It is a good option and rated to 3oz no problem, plus the cost is a bonus around R500 all in with very nice fittings and quality components...


Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2013, 01:28:13 PM »
I saw the new 12ft vengeance the other day, anyone try one yet?

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2013, 09:07:48 AM »
The Amia got the 1st outing this morning.


The rod is a lot more whipy than the Adrenaline Dropshot.


After a 4 hour spinning session I am starting to get the hang of the rod and still need to push her realy hard.


The Maria Spoon produced with a 80cm queen fish and a rat cuta.


The queen realy gave me a good fight on the rod.


I think it was money well spent... :hehe:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal