Author Topic: Spinning rods  (Read 18305 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Spinning rods
« on: September 16, 2013, 09:25:47 AM »
Gents what rods are out there in the 10-11ft range that are being used for shore spinning. I know of the Amia and excellors what other options are out there?



Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 09:36:05 AM »
The Shimano Vengeance is also an option and at R500 its not a bad option for those just wanting to try out spinning before committing the big money

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:39:01 AM »
Exactly the sort of thing I am looking for, its not something I do often so to spend triple that is just not worth while, thanks HP.

Any other suggestions?

Offline Cage

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 317
  • Cred: 64
  • Gender: Male
  • I FISH THEREFORE I LIVE
  • Location: JHB, Gauteng
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 10:10:28 AM »
Other options below though more costly than the vengeance which is a great rod but the 10 ft is significantly heavier than other 10 footers for shore spinning applications up to 2oz casting weights.
 
Shimano Aerocast
Berkley venom
Adrenalin Dropshot 10ft
Already mentioned Daiwa exelor
and Assassin Amia
 
all great options with the Adrenalin and Amia offering very good value for money
 
 
 

Offline keane

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 98
  • Cred: 11
  • Location: Port Shepstone, KZN
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 11:01:22 AM »
Anyone use the poseidon gold class? 11 foot 1-2 ounce. nicely priced as well, saw it at Lucky's for R795.

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 11:25:50 AM »
Also out from Daiwa the Laguna  have a squizz on the kingfisher website , looked at them on Sat , nice rod as well and reasonably priced .

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 11:27:45 AM »
Thanks Mike, malini $$ ??

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 11:31:01 AM »
Slightly cheaper than the Excelor Salt water versions , i reckon super_daav , will be able to give us some more feedback .. :hnthnt: . they look like this slight upgrade from the Megaforce range pics courtesy of Kingfisher .

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 11:52:16 AM »
Thanks Mike I see they only up to 10ft, think I would prefer an 11ft rod, you know those few extra inches could make all the difference, even my wife agrees  :blush:

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 12:33:58 PM »
Hi Guys,
 
I have the Loomis and Franklin Platinum dropshot rods, one a 9foot and the other a 10foot6. They are outstanding rods at the price at about R800 each.

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 01:07:36 PM »
I've imported a rod from Japan. Very nice action and it puts a bullet spoon out of sight.

http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/palms-elua/en/shoregun/

I've got the 103XH. The shipping is a lot so it helps if you share shipping with someone else.

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 09:48:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies will pop into the local during the week and have a feel at all the options you guys have mentioned.

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 10:06:57 AM »
I went and got myself the Assassin Amia XH this morning....awesome looking rod thanks Barry.....cant wait to put it to use at Kosi next week.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »
I went and got myself the Assassin Amia XH this morning....awesome looking rod thanks Barry.....cant wait to put it to use at Kosi next week.

Nice! Don't forget the report please....  :hnthnt:

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 10:35:50 AM »
Cool Reefs......hope it is more positive than the one i did on Bhanga Nek a few weeks ago!

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 07:59:00 AM »
I've imported a rod from Japan. Very nice action and it puts a bullet spoon out of sight.

http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/palms-elua/en/shoregun/

I've got the 103XH. The shipping is a lot so it helps if you share shipping with someone else.


Wow Poenskop !

Thats a high-end spinning rod you have there and already fitted with the all new fuji brand K-guide series.

If I may ask,what did you pay for it ?

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 04:40:07 PM »
The rod itself was about R2000 but the shipping is really expensive. I shared shipping with a mate. With the duties and shipping it came to around R2800.

Offline carll

  • Spin a Holic
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 09:45:04 PM »
I went and got myself the Assassin Amia XH this morning....awesome looking rod thanks Barry.....cant wait to put it to use at Kosi next week.

You going to enjoy the Amia,its a fantastic rod and cast a spoon a mile !

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 01:48:58 PM »
I've imported a rod from Japan. Very nice action and it puts a bullet spoon out of sight.

http://www.palms.co.jp/rod/palms-elua/en/shoregun/

I've got the 103XH. The shipping is a lot so it helps if you share shipping with someone else.

Looks like a rod with potential

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Spinning rods
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 07:36:22 AM »
I've been very impressed with the rod. The biggest plus is the components the rod is fitted with of the shelf.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal