0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Fair Enough... I may be wrong about the hook setting. But it wasn't the anal fin. The fish wasn't jigged. But there is a good reason comments were disabled from the youtube vid. Every extraordinary fish is questioned but i think all areas were covered here.
Quote from: Tomatoe Sauce on September 10, 2013, 09:47:43 AMFair Enough... I may be wrong about the hook setting. But it wasn't the anal fin. The fish wasn't jigged. But there is a good reason comments were disabled from the youtube vid. Every extraordinary fish is questioned but i think all areas were covered here.No offence was intended Tomato Sauce. I was congratulating the angler on landing the fish hooked in its pelvic fin, having missed the lure. I did not make any reference to jigging or the anal fin as you claim. For information purposes, the pelvic fin on a tuna is just below the throat latch. Lady luck has been kind to all anglers at some time or another. I have landed fish clinging to bait cotton, and hooked in the chin, fins, wrapped around line etc. I was very grateful on each occasion.In no way does the way it was hooked detract from the magnificence of the catch.My sincere apologies if I inadvertently caused offence to anyone.
I also don't think it matters where the fish was hooked, good fight and good fish. It was targeted with a lure so nobody can suggest it was "jigged". But now since my curiosity has been aroused, at the point where the fish is being hauled out the water and onto the beach, look from 2.57 minutes in the video, it does indeed seem the hook is set somewhere near the pectoral fins, while in the photo's where the angler poses with the catch the lure clearly and distinctly dangles from the fish's mouth. It would be strange if the hook-set was removed from its original position and placed in the fish's mouth "for better photo appeal".
I am still fascinated with that stretch of beach at Virginia (Dbn) that gets deep so quickly, and think it holds potential for exciting fishing. Any of the Durban guys perhaps have charts that show the depth of the water from the beach towards sea, exactly about behind the airport?