Author Topic: YF Tuna from the shore!  (Read 13695 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
YF Tuna from the shore!
« on: September 06, 2013, 04:35:13 PM »
Fish of the month - definitely the year and probably the last couple   of years, has to go to a Tuna of 17.6 kgs caught by Louis Allison off the beach at the Sandspit, Port Shepstone on the new Assassin Amia with microwave guides. 





What an awesome fish to catch from the shore.  I wonder if Louis realises the real significance of a catch like   this.  This is not just a once in a lifetime thing, it’s hundreds of   lifetimes that   it takes for this sort of achievement, but being the   angler he is, I think in his heart he knows it.
Barry W.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 04:36:40 PM »
.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »
Wow, what an achievement!!  :resp:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 04:43:32 PM by SAfish »

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »
 (clap) Awesome achievement!

What reel did he use?

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 04:48:01 PM »
Nice fish from anywhere, from the beach ......, awesome !!!  The rod doesn't look too bad either.
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 04:55:30 PM »
(clap) Awesome achievement!

What reel did he use?

Think it was a Stradic 5000.

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 05:40:53 PM »
Very nice fish and quite an achievement. I think this is going to be an exciting new facet of angling here, especially at spots where we can find deeper water closer to shore.
 
I am still fascinated with that stretch of beach at Virginia (Dbn) that gets deep so quickly, and think it holds potential for exciting fishing.
 
Any of the Durban guys perhaps have charts that show the depth of the water from the beach towards sea, exactly about behind the airport?
 
@Barry, that rod & reel system seems ideal for this new fishing discipline you all are promoting, fishing is getting worse than golf, now we'll all have to go out and get one if we want to catch fish like that.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 07:23:52 PM by Toppie »
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 07:23:29 PM »
My son lost a Garrick from the beach at Umgeni yesterday afternoon on a couta green glow .
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 06:13:20 AM »
That's an epic catch from the shore I have the light amia and I love it. I can't wait to use it on the island in my spare time.

Offline gavin erwin

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 808
  • Cred: 76
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: 28 york rd South Kensington joburg
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 06:37:06 AM »
What a fish!!!!!!! :shk :happ: :happ: (clap) :resp:
Reach for a bream!

Offline Debbie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 540
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Durban
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 06:50:05 AM »
Where is the "like"button ???? wow that is a nice fish indeed.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 07:05:59 AM »
Interesting to note that this is the third tuna I have seen taken from the shore in that area this year. I've never really heard of that before (outside the sard run) so I wonder if its that equipment improves so we are reaching these fish or if they are moving closer to shore for some reason (food sources, climate change etc.) Or just good old fashion luck :dunno:

Offline comm29

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 33
  • Cred: 21
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 11:35:32 AM »
wow great fish,
I wonder if anyone knows what braid he used and whether the fish took more than 300m, reason I ask is my 5000 reels are on the most part spooled with 300m without backing (I have 17lb Gosen and 10lb Nano and I could put some backing but kinda thought it would never be needed, when I see pics like this I start to wonder, Hope maybe - ha ha)
I see that looks like a Rapala which I doubt he casted too far with, there was a Couta caught off the north coast a few weeks back also with a Rapala / stickbait - amazing to see how close these fish come in (I'm assuming less than 75m from the rocks?)
Great fish once again

Offline Jentan Marine

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: durban natal
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 02:44:03 PM »
i know from spearfishing that these yft's often follow the dolfins on the backline to scavenge on the leftovers that they take one bite of.i shot one of 41kg years ago inthe bay at hibberdene.needless to say i had to swim to shore to higher ground to spot my float where i eventually found it at umfsazana near the shark nets.good fish.

Offline isivuba

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1671
  • Cred: 265
  • Gender: Male
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 04:40:43 PM »
Interesting to note that this is the third tuna I have seen taken from the shore in that area this year. I've never really heard of that before (outside the sard run) so I wonder if its that equipment improves so we are reaching these fish or if they are moving closer to shore for some reason (food sources, climate change etc.) Or just good old fashion luck :dunno:

HP two years ago off Scottburgh I was following some bird activity and came across a shoul of about a 1000 tuna all 6 to 8 kg just behind the backline and the water looked like it was boiling....        :shk is all I can say! Tell you what you could easy cast and land one they where so close to the shore.

Offline Big B

  • Barry
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 760
  • Cred: 20
  • Gender: Male
  • I am a fish-a-holic!
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 06:08:19 PM »
joh, awesome fish, congrats!
Lets go FISHING!

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »
WOW!!!!


Waddafish !
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Karlos

  • Guest
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 01:09:38 PM »
Awesome catch you must be chuffed did it give u a good fight amazing well done  :udman:

Offline L Hooker

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1330
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 07:57:25 AM »
awesome catch wow

Offline Kumz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: YF Tuna from the shore!
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 07:59:34 AM »
Wow... Amazing catch ....

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal