Author Topic: Fly rod for Tiger  (Read 3589 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Reef Inmate

  • REEF INMATE
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 48
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Fly rod for Tiger
« on: September 02, 2013, 02:17:30 PM »
Hello all. A local fishing guide here in Kasane has asked me to get him a fly rod for tiger fishing. I know nothing about fly fishing. Can anyone advise what rod to get?


Thanks


Leigh
LvZ

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly rod for Tiger
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 02:42:30 PM »
Whats the Blokes budget ?

Offline Reef Inmate

  • REEF INMATE
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 48
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Fly rod for Tiger
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 02:47:15 PM »
He's a local guide here so I don't think it will be the top end stuff. Maybe entry to mid level kit.
LvZ

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly rod for Tiger
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 02:53:53 PM »
I will go for a Single-handed 9ft, 9wt or 10wt outfits .
 
Look at the Xplorer Guide II and Stealth Bomber in 9wt . Both retails +/-R2500 .

Offline Reef Inmate

  • REEF INMATE
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 48
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Fly rod for Tiger
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 04:17:23 PM »
Thanks

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:30:22 PM by Reef Inmate »
LvZ

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Fly rod for Tiger
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 06:24:49 PM »
I will go for a Single-handed 9ft, 9wt or 10wt outfits .
 
Look at the Xplorer Guide II and Stealth Bomber in 9wt . Both retails +/-R2500 .
And a reel with a decent drag

Offline Reef Inmate

  • REEF INMATE
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 48
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Fly rod for Tiger
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 06:36:58 PM »
Thanks, he said he already has a reel.
LvZ

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Fly rod for Tiger
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 06:53:16 PM »
8/9wt Kingfisher fly rod. Good action, durable and very well priced.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Fly rod for Tiger
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 06:50:12 AM »
For R3500 I can give you a Custom Built Sage Xi2 9' 8wt in a 4 piece and I believe that this rod is more than enough for handling double digit Tigers.  See below....

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=14694.0

Also have a custom built Scott Heliply in 9' 10wt 3 piece.  This rod is available for R4500 and it will do the job too good as this rod is a power bomb and I think its a bit of overkill for Tigers and I am not saying that it wont work for Tigers but this rod is ideal for Seychelles, GTs at Kosi bay and even some off shore fishing.

There are more snaps of both rods on my blog.

Offline Bwana

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 916
  • Cred: 206
  • Gender: Male
  • Deep Blue Addict
  • Location: Shelly Beach, KZN
Re: Fly rod for Tiger
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 12:07:13 PM »
I've caught a bunch of tigers in the Okavango, Chobe and Zambezi on fly and my Stealth 9ft 7wt was always up to the job for all round performance, I certainly wouldn't go higher than an 8wt. I'd be more concerned about a good quality reel with a smooth drag which he obviously has.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal