Author Topic: Circle Hooks on spoons ?  (Read 11789 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Roland

  • Guest
Re: Circle Hooks on spoons ?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 10:58:30 PM »
Homie, just use a medium retrieve like you would do normally, when you feel the hit, speed it up a bit. what i do when i feel the hit is to speed up a bit and the slow again. dont have to strike, when u can feel it just lift your rod tip. give it a try. get two similar spoons, 1 with a circle and 1 with a J. test it. i prefer circles on my spoons , it really improved my hookups

Offline kevf

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 677
  • Cred: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: underberg,kzn
Re: Circle Hooks on spoons ?
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 05:07:46 PM »
been a while since this topic saw some action, can anyone add to it?
its cruiser country

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Circle Hooks on spoons ?
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 05:37:57 PM »
I still think J hooks will work better than circles. Just the way they work seems counter productive to a lure

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Circle Hooks on spoons ?
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 08:25:40 AM »
I haven't tried it but it would seem to me that you would lose less spoons to mother earth with circles ? I'm going to put a couple on  and try them when (and if this holiday) the Shad are wild. Been a bit dismal on the fishing front down here so far.
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline skiboater

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 19
  • Cred: -1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: pinetown natal
Re: Circle Hooks on spoons ?
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 11:03:44 PM »
tried them and failed badly . don't work for me

Offline Cam Mundy

  • Offshore Spinning Enthusiast
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1178
  • Cred: 93
  • Gender: Male
  • Keep Casting!
  • Location: Papua New Gunea
Re: Circle Hooks on spoons ?
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 04:37:55 AM »
How are the guys that are having success with Circles rigging them on lures I battle to see how a circle will work if it isn't snelled are you running them on assists? I can see a circle working on a fish with a big mouth like a kob or Garrick that will suck the whole lure in but not with a nipper like shad?

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: Circle Hooks on spoons ?
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 06:43:16 AM »
I tried them on the copper spoons for  :tgr: 's and lots of hits but no hook ups, went back to a J hook and got hits and hook ups
my 2c
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline hotrodding

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 39
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Richards Bay
Re: Circle Hooks on spoons ?
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 08:49:10 PM »
Hi  ..
 
2 questions to those that have been sucessful at spoons with circles....
 
how many hook ups have been from the outside of the mouth(foul hooked) rather than from inside ?
..and does the size of the circles have to be much larger than the j-hooks you would normally use ?
 
thanks
 

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Circle Hooks on spoons ?
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »
Although it seems that some guys do have success with Circles on spoons, pure logic says that, just by the very nature of how Circles work, that there is no way that they can match the J-hooks for successful hookups.   :dunno: My 2c.

Offline Marthin

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1257
  • Cred: 45
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town South Africa
Re: Circle Hooks on spoons ?
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, 11:16:56 AM »
I have had zero success on any lure....

Years ago only a treble would do on a lure, first guys to use singles were thought of as insane.... now the majority take trebles off and put singles on.

A circle could work for a "grab and turn" fish that is happy to take a lure from the back end, but as reefman said i can't see it working.  You'll miss a lot of strikes if it takes at the moment you are pulling the lure closer (jerking).

Slow retrieve lures and species specific?
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Circle Hooks on spoons ?
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 04:03:58 PM »
So I had the urge to ,play around a bit .
Over two insane trip out to sea , so this is more of a Gamefish , I still remain sceptical about slower moving lures and Circles .



I opted for a Normal J /Debarbed .I have been using Single and Debarbing them for years , and had many many fish .
And a Circle on an Assist dangling about 1 inch behind my lure ,for Toothie guys this alone might be a Problem .  Both lures used was the same colour and size .


J hook Shot , for shot , but sometime the hook did not set and you would have a fish on and off , this happened a few times ,  and also dropped a few fish missed them .In the Past I have also seen some accidents with Jhooks and Guys thats new to Gamefishing , J hooks popping out once Fish comes on board ect . This however would not be an issue  from the Shore .


the Circle Not shot for shot , BUT , every hookup I had was a fish landed . It also took more time to unhook the fish.


I would still not change my Singles to Circle on most of my Lures , and would not recommend it to guys fishing for Kob and slower moving Species .


On the Topwaters / poppers  , MY reasoning behind it , it will work , generally a surface strike , the fish will grab the lure and turn away , so the drag created by your lure, could buy you sometime to just tighten up , and the circle should do the rest .


Am I loosing the plot ? :creep:
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal