Author Topic: St. Francis report - 22/08/2010  (Read 5604 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline aquadementia

  • Spineless
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 65
  • Cred: -9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jeffreys Bay
St. Francis report - 22/08/2010
« on: August 22, 2010, 09:49:57 PM »
Went to St. Francis today, Roland and Mrs. Roland were to meet up with  my dad and myself. Roland overslept and eventually made it at 9o'clock
 
  Anyway, the east wind discouloured the water nicely and added a nip to it.. REG we're gonna catch fish today!
 
  I slide a yellowtail head and my dad a huge mackerel head... His rod  starts bouncing, looks like a gurnard is getting a good meal out of  that head. Takes his rod out and mine goes... VAS! a dead weight, ag  you sommer know its a baby hound thats tangled in your trace...
 
  Off with its head and onto a 20/0 eagle claw circle... Seeing as I cant  find any 1.5mm cable in JBay, I took 3 metres of 200lb carbon coated,  cut it in half and tied 2 loose ends to my slide swivel. Folded the  other 2 ends through the hook's eye and plaited it back to the top.  Melted all the coating and I had myself a 800lb slide trace
 
  what you guys think?
 
 
  Slid that bloody mess out and left it for the rest of the day
 
  Roland finally arrived and put out a lovely shad head with the fillet wrapped back up over the head...
 
  Much later on, after a lot of nothing at 5 minute intervals, my dads  rod goes. ZZZZZZZZ stop. ZZZZ wind VAS slack ??????? windy windy  VAAAASSS  and there it goes... AAAAH *&$%^ another back ray I  thought... After a little while my dad hands me the rod, just to get a  feel for this pylie before it neuks us up.
 
 
 
  It was at this point I realised it deffinitely was not a flat fish, it  was a shark. It would take a big run and stop, i'd turn its head and it  came. And then it would make another run, slightly shorter and I'd gain  a little bit more line than the previous time. This pattern continued  throughout the fight. All the lads got a turn on the rod, and the fish  settled about 200m out, going left to right....
 
  My dad was on the rod, the fish was heading for the point and suddenly  stopped dead... BUMP!... nothing, fish gone. AG BL!KS@M did my wind-on  leader fail? NOPE the fish got eaten! leader came back 2m shorter than  it was...
 
 
 
  and then the rain came and wet us properly. So we went home
  My dad was using the Alpha Seagrand H.P. rod, a daiwa sl50 with carbontex and grandwave handle and 0.50 Expert Super DP line
 
  What you guys reckon, was it a sharpnose bronzie that we hooked or a bronze whaler?

 
  Its the first time I've been on with such a big shark thats not a raggie, so I'm unsure...
 
  There's only one thing that coulda eaten it



  st francis.AVI
 
 
  my dad jokingly put the perlie gloves on cos he was gonna get an on with that bait
 
 

Offline aquadementia

  • Spineless
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 65
  • Cred: -9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jeffreys Bay
Re: St. Francis report - 22/08/2010
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:55:19 PM »
After typing out this report I spoke to some experts and they reckon its typical of a GW to bite you off even high up your leader cos they roll they line around their bodies and when they turn it goes through their teeth... Anyway it was a great experience, whatever it was!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: St. Francis report - 22/08/2010
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 08:30:27 AM »
Lekker report Aqua

Cant wait for December to try out St. Francis POINT !!

Fluffy

  • Guest
Re: St. Francis report - 22/08/2010
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 08:38:07 AM »
Whish i was there with you guys...

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: St. Francis report - 22/08/2010
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:54:06 AM »
Nice report AD! You're becoming the pro Sharker eh?! Good stuff man!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: St. Francis report - 22/08/2010
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 12:50:47 PM »
Awesome report Chris!!!!

Offline BigG

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 476
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish on weekends to feed the kids...
  • Location: Greenstonehill, Gauteng
Re: St. Francis report - 22/08/2010
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 01:09:06 PM »
Nice report AD !

Still waiting for pictures from you of a new PB magic carpet from that spot!
You guys not having much luck there at the moment
Would be nice to see a big shark come out there

Keep us posted
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Offline aquadementia

  • Spineless
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 65
  • Cred: -9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jeffreys Bay
Re: St. Francis report - 22/08/2010
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 09:39:16 PM »
shot guys

Reefman - I'm learning as I go along, every time its something new. I'm gonna be joining a R&S club this season, angling hasnt been this exciting in a long time, I'm really looking forward to it :sml:

BigG its gonna take me a while to improve my pb at that spot hey, seems I'm only hooking the giants lately hehe
yeah August is usually quiet, last August there we blanked on every trip for the ineds, only got edibles on the other side of the point

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal