Author Topic: More Yellowfish flies....  (Read 13912 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
More Yellowfish flies....
« on: August 22, 2010, 08:43:18 PM »
Some more yellowfish flies for the new season....

Pauls Slayer with orange bead, size 14:



My interpretation of Chris Williams' Vaal Hydropsyche Caddis pattern, size 12:



Same but different colours, size 12:



Chartreuse ad Orange attractor control fly, size 12:



Small caddis point fly, size 16:



Brassie type caddis point fly, size 16:



Squirrel and Copper Mayfly, size 16:



Now for some really small flies both tied on size 18's, apologies for the picture quality here.
Mustard Caddis point fly:



Flashback Black Mayfly:



Both these small flies are awesome producers of fish. It never ceases to amaze me how the fish hammer these tiny flies. The little Back Mayfly is one of my "go to" flies and is a proven producer anywhere on the Vaal, especially tied on a size16 - deadly!








Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: More Yellowfish flies....
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 08:54:29 PM »
Awesome looking bugs Rory! Noticed in the first one you're using a circle hook... have you used them before for fly fishing? And whats your experience with hook up rates?

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: More Yellowfish flies....
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:03:53 PM »
Awesome looking bugs Rory! Noticed in the first one you're using a circle hook... have you used them before for fly fishing? And whats your experience with hook up rates?

I use circle hooks quite a lot, especially on the heavier flies. The heavier control flies tend to snag more often on the riverbed on a drift, but using the circle hook, the hooks snag less. Which in turn means you end up striking more often at actual bites and not all the snags. The hooks I've used in the second and third pic (caddis/grub hooks) are probably more commonly used though, but personally I like to use both.

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: More Yellowfish flies....
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:11:22 AM »
Nice one Rory. Is that goose biot for the abdomin on the flashback? What dubbing did you you use for the mustard caddis?
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: More Yellowfish flies....
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 07:48:51 AM »
Nice one Rory. Is that goose biot for the abdomin on the flashback? What dubbing did you you use for the mustard caddis?

That abdomen is actually wrapped black flashabou and copper wire for the rib, pic quality isn't to good on those small flies! The dubbing on the mustard caddis is Wapsi Superbrite, can't recall the colour name now , I'll check it for you this evening.

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: More Yellowfish flies....
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 09:11:47 AM »
That abdomen is actually wrapped black flashabou and copper wire for the rib, pic quality isn't to good on those small flies! The dubbing on the mustard caddis is Wapsi Superbrite, can't recall the colour name now , I'll check it for you this evening.

cool, thanks. I haven't been able to find a mustard coloured dubbing, I've either been blending chartreuse and rust or using plumber's tape and colouring it with a mustard marker pen.

I really like that Paul's Slayer, I think that I am going to tie up a few with a CDC collar.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: More Yellowfish flies....
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:29:16 AM »
cool, thanks. I haven't been able to find a mustard coloured dubbing, I've either been blending chartreuse and rust or using plumber's tape and colouring it with a mustard marker pen.

I really like that Paul's Slayer, I think that I am going to tie up a few with a CDC collar.

If you don't come right on the mustard dubbing let me know, I'll swap you some for some CDC. I went looking for CDC yesterday, all the stuff I found was  :cens!!!

I reckon a CDC collar on that Slayer will be dynamite, good call!

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: More Yellowfish flies....
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 09:36:12 AM »
Nice Rory (clap)

That black flashback is a winner. I am still scared of the size 18's. My fingers gets to dumb at a size 16.

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: More Yellowfish flies....
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 10:13:29 AM »
If you don't come right on the mustard dubbing let me know, I'll swap you some for some CDC. I went looking for CDC yesterday, all the stuff I found was  :cens!!!

I reckon a CDC collar on that Slayer will be dynamite, good call!

sounds like a deal, I've got bulk packs of olive and natural dun, picking up 2 smaller packs of black at the post office later today.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: More Yellowfish flies....
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 10:49:58 AM »
Nice Rory (clap)

That black flashback is a winner. I am still scared of the size 18's. My fingers gets to dumb at a size 16.

Dankie ou Swaer.

sounds like a deal, I've got bulk packs of olive and natural dun, picking up 2 smaller packs of black at the post office later today.

Schweet man, I'll even buy some off you!!
Let me get my ducks in a row, and we try organise a tying session this weekend??

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: More Yellowfish flies....
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 11:17:59 AM »
Dankie ou Swaer.

Schweet man, I'll even buy some off you!!
Let me get my ducks in a row, and we try organise a tying session this weekend??

cool, I can probably do Saturday afternoon.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: More Yellowfish flies....
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 11:19:27 AM »
Nice Rory (clap)

That black flashback is a winner. I am still scared of the size 18's. My fingers gets to dumb at a size 16.

Louis, I'll show you how to tie on #22s next time I see you, if I can do it anyone can.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: More Yellowfish flies....
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 08:19:31 PM »
Louis, I'll show you how to tie on #22s next time I see you, if I can do it anyone can.
  :resp:

Firstly, all my thumbs ( read fingers ) will never allow me to tie smaller than #18. w;k

Your "Slayer " is great !. I normally tie it in a grey body, peacock thorax, but use the flash over the thorax, as a wing case, and then tie back for the "feather" effect.

If I can stop myself from switching on the computer and checking the forums I wil tie a couple for Sunday, to show you. :sml:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: More Yellowfish flies....
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 08:16:46 AM »
.........but use the flash over the thorax, as a wing case, and then tie back for the "feather" effect.....

Its a bit difficult to see in the photo, but the flash extends over the back, right from the bottom of the abdomen and over the thorax. I swear the photographer was sober when he took the pics.... :pot:

.....I wil tie a couple for Sunday, to show you. :sml:

Excellent thanks, that way I might actually catch something!! w;k

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal