Author Topic: New grinder  (Read 10781 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline joshua

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: randburg gauteng
New grinder
« on: June 02, 2013, 06:36:36 PM »
good day ulimate anglers!
I want to start targeting sting rays and medium sized sharks with a grinder but need advise with which reel. Its between the Daiwa saltist 6500H or Shimano saragosa 18000f, I need the reel to last till I get my bulleyes

Offline joshua

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: randburg gauteng
Re: New grinder
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 09:49:41 PM »
anyone

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: New grinder
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 09:30:13 AM »
good day ulimate anglers!
I want to start targeting sting rays and medium sized sharks with a grinder but need advise with which reel. Its between the Daiwa saltist 6500H or Shimano saragosa 18000f, I need the reel to last till I get my bulleyes

Joshua - are you looking at buying a new reel to do this while you wait for the Bullseye?
If that's the case, I would go with the Mitchell Avocast 8000. At under R2000, it's a good value option for what you're looking for, including the long cast spool, which the Saltist and Saragosa don't have.

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: New grinder
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 09:40:19 AM »
Hi Joshua,
I can't comment on R&S but I have a 18k Saragosas and it worked ok for about a year then started to make a grinding noise. I use if for spinning from the boat (back up to my primary rod) and have targeted tail, YFT and some GT's with it. The noise was after low usage on heavy fish with good upkeep, so was not that impressed but I have to note it is still working and catching fish. It casts great and good line capacity and for the price seems to be a reasonable buy maybe I just got a dud and need to service it and I do like to crank up the drag which it has plenty of (44lbs) with a good retrieval rate (41 inches per crank as oppose to 51 of stella 18K) with a gear ratio of 4.9:1 but it is not a Stella in a cheap suit by any means. I should prob open it up and have a look but I am not a Reefman and usually end up with parts left over.... :cnfzd
 
Wrt the Diawa, I cannot comment beyond the guys that have the seem to be very happy.
 
Good luck with your choice.

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: New grinder
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 09:41:39 AM »
good day ulimate anglers!
I want to start targeting sting rays and medium sized sharks with a grinder but need advise with which reel. Its between the Daiwa saltist 6500H or Shimano saragosa 18000f, I need the reel to last till I get my bulleyes

Joshua - are you looking at buying a new reel to do this while you wait for the Bullseye?
If that's the case, I would go with the Mitchell Avocast 8000. At under R2000, it's a good value option for what you're looking for, including the long cast spool, which the Saltist and Saragosa don't have.

ha RM beat me to it while I was posting  :craz: .... this will be the best advice you can get mate...RM knows it all!!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:44:41 AM by Seventenths »

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: New grinder
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 09:50:14 AM »
good day ulimate anglers!
I want to start targeting sting rays and medium sized sharks with a grinder but need advise with which reel. Its between the Daiwa saltist 6500H or Shimano saragosa 18000f, I need the reel to last till I get my bulleyes

Joshua - are you looking at buying a new reel to do this while you wait for the Bullseye?
If that's the case, I would go with the Mitchell Avocast 8000. At under R2000, it's a good value option for what you're looking for, including the long cast spool, which the Saltist and Saragosa don't have.

Sorry for the slight hijack Joshua -
Reefman... how much of a difference do the long cast spools make? and for my usage on a boat is it worthwhile?
7/10

Offline Shaun17

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1614
  • Cred: 262
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: New grinder
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 10:04:53 AM »
For what it's worth, i've got both reels on the boat and never had issues with either... Admittedly, the Saragosa hasnt been tested properly yet, but the Saltist has landed a few decent sized (bycatch) hammerheads from the boat...
 
When in doubt about reels... follow Reefman

Offline joshua

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: randburg gauteng
Re: New grinder
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 10:48:27 AM »
good day ulimate anglers!
I want to start targeting sting rays and medium sized sharks with a grinder but need advise with which reel. Its between the Daiwa saltist 6500H or Shimano saragosa 18000f, I need the reel to last till I get my bulleyes

Joshua - are you looking at buying a new reel to do this while you wait for the Bullseye?
If that's the case, I would go with the Mitchell Avocast 8000. At under R2000, it's a good value option for what you're looking for, including the long cast spool, which the Saltist and Saragosa don't have.

Sorry for the slight hijack Joshua -
Reefman... how much of a difference do the long cast spools make? and for my usage on a boat is it worthwhile?
7/10
RM that what ive also wanted to know how much of a difference does the spool make? where can I find a avocast ive never really looked for it

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: New grinder
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 05:30:01 PM »
good day ulimate anglers!
I want to start targeting sting rays and medium sized sharks with a grinder but need advise with which reel. Its between the Daiwa saltist 6500H or Shimano saragosa 18000f, I need the reel to last till I get my bulleyes

Joshua - are you looking at buying a new reel to do this while you wait for the Bullseye?
If that's the case, I would go with the Mitchell Avocast 8000. At under R2000, it's a good value option for what you're looking for, including the long cast spool, which the Saltist and Saragosa don't have.

Sorry for the slight hijack Joshua -
Reefman... how much of a difference do the long cast spools make? and for my usage on a boat is it worthwhile?
7/10
RM that what ive also wanted to know how much of a difference does the spool make? where can I find a avocast ive never really looked for it

Basil manning have them listed on their website....

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: New grinder
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 08:37:14 PM »
Long Cast spool makes a HUGE difference to distance! The spool is longer and very shallow, so the line that would normally be much deeper on a narrow spool, doesn't struggle to get over the lip of the spool. Off the shallower spool, line comes off easier with less frisction against the lip, = 20-30% further casts.
7/10... dunno if that would make a difference on the boat? If you needed extra distance, that's what the Big Pit reels were designed for.
Mitchell reels are also stocked at MIAS.

Offline joshua

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: randburg gauteng
Re: New grinder
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 08:57:15 PM »
thanks for the advise, Ill go have a look at he mitchell during the week

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: New grinder
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 07:46:27 AM »
Long Cast spool makes a HUGE difference to distance! The spool is longer and very shallow, so the line that would normally be much deeper on a narrow spool, doesn't struggle to get over the lip of the spool. Off the shallower spool, line comes off easier with less frisction against the lip, = 20-30% further casts.
7/10... dunno if that would make a difference on the boat? If you needed extra distance, that's what the Big Pit reels were designed for.
Mitchell reels are also stocked at MIAS.
:tkx: :corrct:

Offline Rory mundy

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1762
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • vidalbum
  • Location: St Lucia
Re: New grinder
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 07:54:30 AM »
bite the bullet and get a stella should be a few coming onto the market on ebay and the likes with the launch of the sw series.

vidalbum

Offline Rory mundy

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1762
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • vidalbum
  • Location: St Lucia
Re: New grinder
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 07:56:32 AM »
not sure if they any good to cast off beach though

vidalbum

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: New grinder
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »
Ordinary Spinning reels work for casting off the beach, but if you're going to do this SurfGrinder thing properly, the best is to use the Big pit reels, with the long cast spools - the Shimano Bullseye is the best of the lot.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal