Author Topic: Do I have enough trout flies?  (Read 9427 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Do I have enough trout flies?
« on: May 21, 2013, 04:04:40 PM »
...somehow, I never think I do!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 04:07:22 PM »
Nowhere near enough Ziggy  :hyst:

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 04:09:26 PM »
Nowhere near enough Ziggy  :hyst:


WK - some of the dries you sold me are lurking in there!


....and i still have lots of tiger fish flies and saltwater flies......and a ton of tying material to make more and more flies....why not?

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 04:12:01 PM »
 :cens  nice collection  (clap)

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 04:12:12 PM »
How many and have you named them all? :hehe:

Looks like a serious collection there!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline isivuba

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1671
  • Cred: 265
  • Gender: Male
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 04:16:35 PM »
 :shk Nah you need some more..... :nuts:

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 04:17:58 PM »
How many and have you named them all? :hehe:

Looks like a serious collection there!
I cant even remember the names of all of my family - never mind the flies

Offline Fish - n - Chicks

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 102
  • Cred: 12
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Richards Bay
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 04:20:04 PM »
Wow
1 more should do  :hehe:
Good things come to those who bait.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 04:24:32 PM »
Pretty impressive !
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 04:30:14 PM »
Wow
1 more should do  :hehe:


I just tied that next  one!

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 04:32:28 PM »
 :shk I thought a couple of hooks and sinkers is enough!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:34:56 PM by Charles »

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 04:58:59 PM »
:shk I thought a couple of hooks and sinkers is enough!
Maybe in those dry Darfur "rivers"

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 05:17:36 PM »
My goodness Ziggy, that gives new meaning to the saying "One life - Fish it!"
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 06:40:54 PM »
Ziggy, fly tying is an art and you are at the top of the tree, excellent tying
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 07:37:38 PM »
 :shk ... yikes , thats a lot of flies ... take me about three lifetimes to go thru all of those , nice collection  Ziggy .. (clap)

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 08:44:19 PM »
Ziggy, the tying bug has truly bitten. :shk
Two of your boxes = 5 of mine :blush:
Keep on tying , I now only tie when I realize I only have 6 flies left in my box. w;k
 
I swim in the river often, and flies not used rust and then let you down when you least need it to happen.  :unhap
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Fish Carnivore

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 148
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • fish, eat, sleep...............
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 05:31:15 AM »



   nice collection 


images.jpg (6.85 kB, 224x225 - viewed 206 times.)



 :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

The more your line is in the water. The more fish you will catch.

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 08:06:19 AM »
Now for the truth...
you may have many flies, but it is seldom that you have the "right" fly!
Squid Happens!

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 09:30:19 AM »
Ziggy, fly tying is an art and you are at the top of the tree, excellent tying
Dodger - I am still new at tying - but have tied about maybe 100 flies so far - I have learnt a lot on youtube - especially from a guy called Davie McPhail - see some of his tuts here Tying a Catskill style Dry Fly with Davie McPhail


I have also been through Tom Sutcliffe's book "The elements of fly tying" as well as a number of other books

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Do I have enough trout flies?
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 09:37:04 AM »
Ziggy, the tying bug has truly bitten. :shk
Two of your boxes = 5 of mine :blush:
Keep on tying , I now only tie when I realize I only have 6 flies left in my box. w;k
 
I swim in the river often, and flies not used rust and then let you down when you least need it to happen.  :unhap
of all those flies - I have tied maybe about 100 or so. The rest is what I have been collecting over the years (some are over 20 years old0 - but no rust. I also wade the rivers, but manage to keep flies dry somehow

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal