Author Topic: Easter trout fishing disasters  (Read 4578 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Easter trout fishing disasters
« on: April 01, 2013, 04:11:21 PM »
First day I caught many tiny trout in the Mlambonjwa river on Naverone's property - all on a tiny Adams.


next day early I went down to the dam and fished for about an hour - and then went up to the cottage to have a  coffee break. Instead of just leaning my rod against the wall or something else, I smartly decided to lay it on the roof of my bakkie (Ja Ja stoopid I know). I was only going to be a few minutes and then go back to fish. While having coffee, I thought it might be an idea to quickly drive down to the shop and get the papers for the wife to keep her busy so I could fish longer. So off I went.....


When I got ready to go back fishing.......no fishing rod!. Then I remembered....so I reversed out and at the same time looking for the rod....and went straight into a tree and modified my tow bar, brake lights, tailgate etc.


In the end,after retracing my way to the shop and back,  the rod was not found....A Hardy Marksman 2 and Hardy Demon reel.... an expensive loss! I had hardly used it (except fora trip to Ireland late last year and a couple of times on the Bushmans.




Fortunately insured, but now a search for a new rod.........and a panel beater!

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: Easter trout fishing disasters
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 04:21:19 PM »
The good the bad and the ugly! The good is you can shop for a new rod and reel. The bad is your bad luck and the ugly are those modifications. Ziggy I feel for you. Myself feel that a vehicle is never the same after even a small bash.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:21:59 PM by Charles »

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Easter trout fishing disasters
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 04:39:04 PM »
Sincere sympathies, Ziggy. Sorry for the loss. I know how you feel.
I only have (had) one fly rod untill "somebody" closed the car door at an inappropriate time when I was busy packing the car.
As they say:  garage doors and car doors "eat" fishing rods.
Also lost  a rod off the roofrack at Plett in December because I forgot to tie it down. Had to stand helplessly beside the road and watch lorries crunch it it pieces.


We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline Brendan

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 38
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Fourways, Gauteng
Re: Easter trout fishing disasters
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 06:21:31 PM »
Ouch, Ziggy, sorry to hear that mate. I guess the positive side is a shiny new rod and reel. And I can empathise re: the car. I've just got mine back after a (very hot) young lady felt the urge to rear end me. It's a ball-ache not having transport.  duh

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: Easter trout fishing disasters
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:52:52 PM »
Shame Ziggy, will you be able to get exact replacements?
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Gregf

  • Guest
Re: Easter trout fishing disasters
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 07:57:37 PM »
Sorry sir

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Easter trout fishing disasters
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 08:33:07 PM »
I am trying to convince myself that I didn't really like that rod......but, when I assembled it for fishing that morning I marvelled at how pretty it was.. And I also wondered why I deserved such a nice rod. When I bought it I was thinking that it would take me well into retirement. Well, never get attached to inanimate objects and possessions.... Lesson of the day!
The search for a new one begins......

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Easter trout fishing disasters
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 08:58:19 AM »
You did not loose that rod. It got stolen off your bakkie.
That rod never left the property. It's still there, just with someone else.
It might even have been a visitor at the same venue and I am not talking about a local.
A fancy rod and reel should never leave your hands or sight. You can lend out your wife and kids and even a rifle, but your fly rods and reels....Aikona!!!

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Easter trout fishing disasters
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 09:44:46 AM »
Not a great One Ziggz.....

And a Hardy rod and reel at that...
Eish... Id be sulking for a week !

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Easter trout fishing disasters
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 10:23:55 AM »
@ et...I asked everyone.....and searched everywhere. I also think it may have been stolen. Bakkie was 5 metres away from the cottage door. Not sure if I can replace it in SA. Still have the two cartridges for the Demon reel. Any ideas on a suitable equivalent replacement obtainable here....could I
I get a demon reel here?

@ homie...only a week of sulking? Much more than that for sure....sure
K until I get a replacement.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Easter trout fishing disasters
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 10:38:05 AM »
@ et...I asked everyone.....and searched everywhere. I also think it may have been stolen. Bakkie was 5 metres away from the cottage door. Not sure if I can replace it in SA. Still have the two cartridges for the Demon reel. Any ideas on a suitable equivalent replacement obtainable here....could I
I get a demon reel here?


Here you go


Tel: 031-3127564 | Fax :  031-3127668 |www.ajfagencies.co.za
892 Umgeni Road, Durban , South Africa 4001
P O Box 50891, Musgrave, South Africa 4062


e-mail : Lloyd Pereira <lloyd@ajfagencies.co.za>


He is the agent for Hardy in S.A and he is in your neck of the woods. Call him and he will direct you to the right shop.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:39:52 AM by E.T. »

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Easter trout fishing disasters
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 11:48:24 AM »
Man thats bad Ziggy!  swr :-(

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal